Traditions Kentucky Long Rifle

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by cKYCUR, Nov 22, 2016.

1. cKYCUR

cKYCUR Fawn

Nov 22, 2016
    Does anyone else use a build it yourself Ky LR and if so how do you keep the rust from building up after cleaning? I have used everything and every time I go out to shoot it its all messed up and/or non functioning.

2. tmojedrmrguy

tmojedrmrguy Fawn

Dec 18, 2017
    Ransomville, N.Y.
    I have a suggestion: after done shooting: plug flashhole (whether flintlock or percussion), partly fill barrel with plain hot water (as hot as you can stand). Run clean patche(s) up and down bore until all powder residue and crud removed and water pours out of muzzle reasonably clear. You will have to repeat this procedure several times. Make sure to use hot water to heat up barrel. Yes it is messy but it is a sure way to remove the crud. Do not use 'powder solvent' like Hoppe's or similar: plain hot water is best to remove powder residue. (make sure to clean out breech end thoroughly as well). Keep a quantity of paper towels or rags to remove water from outside surfaces of gun and lock (your rifle probably has barrel pinned in place so it's not removable from stock). Firearms with removable barrel (such as Thompson-Center with hooked breeches and wedged barrels) make this procedure easier but non-removable pinned barrels you will find is unavoidable to get some water on outside of gun..
    When done flushing barrel, run a dry patches down bore (not too tight fit so as to prevent rod from getting stuck in barrel) to soak up remaining water. If you don't have one already, get a patch worm that's threaded to fit your rod in case you have to retrieve patches that get stuck down in barrel. When that is done, remove lock if you got some water on the lock (which more often than not will happen). Clean it as well, dry completely, lube and wipe down with something like 'Wonder Lube 1000'. While you are at it, clean out flash hole vent with a pipe cleaner. Clean off any residue from hammer and outside of lock and lube it as well. Then, with the barrel still warm, run a clean lubed patch several times down bore to coat it. Wipe down all metal surfaces with a clean lubed patch or rag. (not too much, you don't need a lot). Keep in mind to dry metal parts thoroughly before lubing (that's why hot water is best..it will evaporate quicker). Put the lock back on
    I have used muzzleloading firearms for many years and following this procedure have found I never get a bit of rust.
    Helps to use the newer lubes like 'Wonder-Lube 1000' or similar products: I use it to lube shooting patches as well as to coat the bore and metal parts between shooting sessions and my guns still look as new. Also I use lower-residue powder like 'Pyrodex' or 'Triple Seven' instead of 'black powder' (like Goex). The purists frown on that and the black powder substitutes are more expensive but it is worth it to me.
    Before next shooting session: wipe down bore with clean dry patch to remove lube residue, clean out vent hole with a clean pipe cleaner. Make sure no patches accidently left down in barrel. Pop a couple caps (gun not loaded of course and muzzle pointed in safe direction) to clear any remaining oil or lube before loading and you should be good to go.
    Hope this helps. Happy safe shooting.

3. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Potroast hunts with a Traditions flintlock he built himself from a kit. He hasn't had any issues in the last two seasons. Cleans with TC muzzleloader cleaner or a mix I make up with alcohol and windshield washer fluid. Once he finishes, he wipes down exterior with a lightly oiled rag. Cleans around flashhole area with Qtips. What part is rusting/crudding on you?

He shot one with it last Friday
    PR deer.jpg

Then he got back in the stand and shot another one with his bow

PR Deer2.jpg

4. tmojedrmrguy

tmojedrmrguy Fawn

Dec 18, 2017
    Ransomville, N.Y.
    That is one fine looking rifle. Good job!

5. WILD

WILD 12 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    What I use is just plain rubbing alcohol and then oil it,alcohol cleans it way faster and cleaner then water will.