Tradgey Strikes at Peabody

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by kydirtdog44, Jan 8, 2012.

1. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    This weekend a group of men from Northern Ky went to Peabody rabbit hunting. When they arrived at the motel they were staying at they fed their beagles and went to bed. Later on that night they checked on the beagles again and they all were fine. When the men woke up the next morning they found all 12 of their beagles dead. AND YES YOU HEARD ME RIGHT 12 BEAGLES WERE DEAD! Several of the bodies were brought home as well as the dog food to have tests run. The men do not know if foul play was a factor. So I am asking anyone one reading this post who is from the peabody area if they knowing any information pertaining to this tradgedy. Any one who knows anything will remain annoyomous. Please contact me at 859-391-4597 day or night. Again anything information that you can provide will be greatly appreciated. REMEMBER ONE THING THIS COULD HAVE BEEN YOU! If foul play was a factor we need to bring justice forward to the people involved. I will keep you posted on the test results.

2. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    I wonder if someone left a parked car with the exhaust running next to the dog boxes? I assume no marks of any kind on the dogs?

3. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    tragedy strikes at peabody

that i dont know all i know is the dogs were fine when they went to bed they brought back several dogs to have test run at uk will keep u guys posted they r not accuseing anyone of anything yet

4. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Did they ask the motel people if they had security cameras on the parking lot. I hate to hear that this happened, can't fathom why anybody would do something to a bunch of cute beagles in the back of a truck but you never know with all the sickos out there. When we were still grouse hunting in Wisconsin I'd always sneak my bird dogs in the room with us but I guess its a little harder to do with a dozen small hounds. If foul play was a factor I hope they catch the person responsible and ....well, lets just say do something bad to them.

Something else to think about, did they buy a new bag of dog food for the trip or take a bag they'd already fed out of? Could have got a bad batch of dogfood. There was a huge recall a year or two ago on Diamond and several other brands. Dont remember now what was wrong with it but one batch killed a bunch of dogs.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  5. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Could someone threw some tainted hotdogs in the box with them?

6. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    SSS...just kidding. Hope they find out what happened, and if foull play was involved, they get what they have coming.--Mike

7. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    tragedy strikes at peabody

yes in fact they did stop at the local store and purchased a bag of ole roy they took the remainedr of the bag to have it tested

8. Strut 'N' Buck

Strut 'N' Buck 8 pointer

Apr 16, 2011
    Shepherdsville, KY
    This is a tragedy to say the least. I hope if foul play was involved, the suspects get what they deserve. I know first hand that a good beagle hound isn't cheap. And 12 of them just puts the cherry on top. I can't see how 12 die of a freak accident unless it had something to do with the food. Hope more info comes out sooner than later.

9. mlittle

mlittle 6 pointer

Apr 18, 2009
    Versailles, KY
    I had 3 get out of the dog box's yesterday after a 15 mile ride and were hot. Did they have the dog box vents open?

10. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I agree with mlittle. It sounds like they suffocated. It amazes me how many people make or buy dog boxes that don't have the proper ventilation. A dog has a much greater risk of suffocating in a dog box rather than dying from exposure from too much air.

11. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    no not suffication theses were full size boxes and i promise theese guys are good dog men and no better than that i about garantuee u that that was not the reason there was a lot imean a lot of money and time in vested in some of theese dogs i would say no to the suffication

12. llmccarthy34

llmccarthy34 Spike

Dec 5, 2008
    Northern KY
    Hate to hear this, I am thinking a bad batch of dog food

13. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    could be. they r haveing the food tested as well

14. Brewtus

Brewtus 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2006
    Erlanger KY
    Wow that is terrible. We were down this weekend also.
    We had eight dogs with us. Two dogs in a small box and six dogs in a large box.
    I don't think it was suffication. What motel did they stay in?

15. Peacher79

Peacher79 6 pointer

Aug 8, 2007
    Pine Grove, KY
    I know I want to know excactly what happened here. This is a horrible tradegy. Please post all the findings as soon as you can.

I called my vet and here is what he said about food poisioning. Some of the most severe cases of food poisoning can result in long-term illness and death. However, most food poisoning is not serious. Most dogs begin feeling better within 24 to 48 hours. Queasiness and slight diarrhea may last one to two days longer

Everytime I take out my dogs hunting, I am concerned for their safety and my human hunting partner above all else.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012