Tradbow shooting and hunting pics.

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Carpdaddy, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    Like that bow, Nutbow! I don't have one of those (Griz)............yet! LOL!

nutbow likes this.
  2. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    I have looked at the Herway bows at KY Tradfest, and only heard good things about them, sure do look fine! And yes; regular practice is a necessary part of this addiction!

nutbow likes this.
  3. nutbow

nutbow Fawn

Aug 20, 2010
    frankfort, ky
    Herway bows are a working mans bow i love them, Kevin Brown does outstanding work. For custom bow i would put his against any on the market. There is nothing wrong with any factory made bow, but a custom has that extra attention to detail. Its not a job for most Boyers, its the love of the bow.

Carpdaddy likes this.
  4. nutbow

nutbow Fawn

Aug 20, 2010
    frankfort, ky
    that was my very first new bow i ever owned. Have a bunch of used before then. That one started the fever !!!

5. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Like the trapper in the pic

Meatstick likes this.
  6. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Same here

nutbow likes this.
  7. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    This was what triggered my addiction, given to me by a older deacon in my church, said he gave $26.00 for it new if I remember correctly.
    D5361B56-C598-4454-BEDC-F23C84AEB4B1.jpeg CA4D431E-9B32-4CD3-9FF2-A8C0CEEF38D6.jpeg

nutbow and Meatstick like this.
  8. sdorton

sdorton 6 pointer

Apr 10, 2013
    KY
    This is my first year with a Trad Bow. Still got a lot of practicing to do but I'm pretty comfortable 17-18yds out. Hoping to make my first harvest with it this coming deer season.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Carpdaddy likes this.
  9. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Practicing up for those jumpy Squirrels! Pool noodle pieces.
    BBDA45AA-F641-4D3B-9D65-D30C8B5CD47F.jpeg
    09620088-C770-44F3-AA88-D2BCECF7B9ED.jpeg

nutbow likes this.
  10. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    294F84EE-BA1F-4EDF-9CF7-E3826D118317.jpeg F4B4FBD7-C203-454D-852A-430E39C3781F.jpeg
    Couple I built many years ago, must have been feeling colorful back then, don’t remember the year. Far from perfect but served the purpose.

Meatstick likes this.
  11. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    Carpdaddy,
    Probably a silly question but can a snakeskin be added to a commercially bought bow? I have a Browning Nomad for instance. If I came across a snakeskin that would work (size), can it be successfully added to it or is that something that has to be applied under the original construction/finishing process?

12. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Jman; yes you can apply snakeskin to any bow. I did that one on the fiberglass back with Titebond wood glue, the green labeled waterproof one.
    1. Catch snakes! Or buy some skins. Several places sell artificial skins if preferred.
    2. Skin snakes! Dead is better.
    3. Add cup or two (forget) of Borax in gallon jug of water. This keeps bugs off while drying.
    4. Soak in fridge for about three days, shake around daily to keep stirred up, tell wifey to stay away from it, and kids not to drink before looking. Helps to mark jug well.
    5. Pour out water and remove skins, rinse well to remove Borax.
    6. Pin on board and lay out somewhere like garage to dry, don’t remember how long it takes but you will be able to tell when dry.
    7. Remove and you can roll up and store or use now. I have some I did this way many years ago and they are still good. Stored in Walmart bag .
    8. When ready to use soak dried skins in water. Remove when well saturated and lay out on paper towels or wife’s good towel if she don’t catch you.
    Lay another folded paper towel on top and press down to remove access water.
    9. Apply glue to back of skins using finger to spread over being sure to cover all surface.
    10. Thin layer of glue on glass where it is going is good also. But too much must be squeezed out later and can cause bubbles so easy.
    11. Spread over back of bow, sides will lap over being wider, and begin wiping down skin with damp fingers to lay skin and remove access glue under. Before you lay skin on limbs be sure your scales are pointing downward toward tips on both limbs. The scales are removed later.
    12. As you are working down it will begin drying. When dry enough to stop moving around you can begin trimming off sides. Use sharp razor blade carefully but if you have it a fine file like a chainsaw file works best. Just do carefully.
    13. After at least a day of drying you can then remove scales. A piece of duct tape works well. Just put tape on and remove it and you will see the scales all over tape. Not all will come off that easily but can be scrapped off using a dull knife. Always drag knife downward from riser and not pulling upwards on scales. Also don’t use knife as you were whittling but rather like sharpening dragging off scales. This way you don’t cut skins.
    When all dried I sprayed mine with clear satin polyurethane but this is probably not necessary.
    14. Or take it to some dummy like me that don’t care to dive in and try anything!

13. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Word to the wise on snakeskins. I did Copperhead skins once on black fiberglass limbs, this does not look very well, the dark underneath shows through thin skins. Best results are light colored bows in my opinion.

14. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    Thank you for the instructions. Sounds like the hardest part is finding a couple of rattlers big enough to use. Ha!

Carpdaddy likes this.