Tower Blind Plans Needed

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Gwilliam, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Gwilliam

Gwilliam Spike

Jun 27, 2014
    Near Hodgenville KY
    I have a few store bought tower blinds, but I'm really no looking to spend $500...but I will if I have to. Anyone have any experience here? I'd like to be up a good 10 feet...

2. CentralKyHunter

CentralKyHunter 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2007
    These are ours... Set the post , build the steps first. The four walls and roof are all completly built at home than taken to the farm in the five peices and placed on the platform..

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    How much do you have invested in these stands if you dont mind me asking...nice looking stands...

4. CentralKyHunter

Nov 19, 2007
    Will have to get back with you on that... We bought discount metal at the local lumber store for about one dollar per linear foot... The post had some slight twist so we bought them discounted as well, used plexiglass for the windows and homemade the troughs they slide in....... Will get some better close up and inside pics next time I'm at the farm and ask my brother about what our cost is

5. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Ours usually run about 3-400 a piece buying all new. But much nicer and can put the windows where you want. Just keep in mind if you are going to elevate it the windows will need to be slightly lower than where it is on the ground. We build ours then set the posted and raise it up on the posts with the front end loader.

6. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Is that metal over plywood or just over studs? If just studs, dang, that would be an easy-bake oven on a warm day which we are known to get during gun season

7. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

We built 7 of these about 8 yrs ago. Pre fab in the garage and assembled in the field. We had less than $300 in the 4x4 ones and I think around $700 in the 4x8 one. We also had used metal for the roofs. They have sliding plexi glass windows that were used golf cart windshields.
    My Dad has the plans in his head so I sorry I can't supply written ones. We went with 4x4 so there would not be too much waste in materials and they work fine for one person and we have even hunted two adults out of one theres just not a lot of moving around going on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/

8. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    We do metal over studs then add insulation. It can be hot just make sure the windows are big enough to get some air flow. I will get some pics of the Goliath hut he is building now. 8ftX8ft. Making it big enough so that the grand kids can have room to move around and gonna out a cot in it in case they want to take a nap. It will be mounted over a trailer axel so it can be pulled out in a field wherever we need it.

9. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Be careful doing wood ones in the woods. Squirrels are the heck out of the one we did ended up covering a big portion with metal to keep them from eating it all.

10. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

11. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

Yeah we have one that they have wreaked havoc on. They love t-111 even if it is painted.
    Also we found that if you go with metal roof you will need to put some Styrofoam insulation board on the ceiling to keep the condensation from dripping on you.

12. CentralKyHunter

Nov 19, 2007
    Metal over studs, ripped 2x4 in half for studs. Insulated with foam board and spray insulated the cracks... Temps arent bad.

13. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    Great stands I now have a new project. THANKS ALOT.

14. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    I think the next time I need one I'm just going to invest in a stumb blob or redneck blind... Lifetime warranty and don't have to build more every 5-6 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    Stump blind...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk