Tough squirrel

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Duster, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Was outside doing some yard work real early this morning. I have a hickory and a oak that part of hangs over my carport. Heard a big thud and looked up to see a squirrel sliding down the roof to the ground, It had to have fallen 50 ft. I walked over to where it was laying and after a couple minutes it shook real hard jumped up and went back up the oak tree.

2. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    When I was about Potroast's age (9-10ish), I was squirrel hunting the gravel road along the ridge behind our house. I was hunting some ancient oaks that stretched to the sky. As I was sneaking up on a big fox squirrel, he jumped at the last minute and missed his target limb. That squirrel free fell all the way to the ground, landing with a thud on the gravel. I walked over, looked at it a while, and decided I was all sorts of happy about killing a squirrel without firing a shot. I laid down my shotgun, bent down to pick up the squirrel, and started the process of placing it into the game bag on the back of my vest. That is when the squirrel woke up. Never had my hands so full of something I wanted to turn loose in all of my years. The squirrel finally launched himself off my back and headed into the woods, my gun still on the ground.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  3. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I just made my son, who is chomping on deer salami and cheese and crackers, read the above 2 posts. We went squirrel hunting opening morning and lost one. He goes "I saw it fall and land right here. After that big of a fall, it's gotta be dead." I explained they can survive the fall. Loved seeing these posts to drive the point home. Btw...found the tough ol fox squirrel about 10 ft under a rock ledge. He tracked it. Found blood on leaves where it hung up in tree after shot, where it fell and spoor. He can't shoot great yet but he's a damned good tracker.

4. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I still have a scar on one of my fingers from a durn squirrel. I may have been 10 years old then. I shot and it fell and ran into a hollow tree. Got the trusty green brier , put it on a stick and ran it up in the hole. Gave it a couple twist and got ahold of that squirrel. When I pulled it out that thing did a inside out and grabbed my finger and bit the heck out of me. Slung that thing away hard as I could. I bet he flew 30 yards before it hit the ground and ran away while I was standing there bleeding

5. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    Was walking onto a concrete highway bridge and saw a squirrel running toward me in the middle of the bridge. It put on maximum speed trying to run past me to get off the bridge, but freaked out right beside me and jumped over the rail into thin air. I walked over and saw it hit in some rip rap rock about 75 feet below. It never even slowed down and went bounding into the brush.

6. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Lol.I got scar on my left index finger from a squirrel bite when I was about 13, shot 4 out of a tree and started picking them up, land owner walked up to say hi, I turned to speak to him and reached down to get squirrel and he bit my finger and ran up my arm, scary moment, scares to prove it, butt of shot gun to his head finished him off, then trip to ER to get rabies shot and stiches, I respect for those rodents, love squirrel hunting

7. dpowers

dpowers 6 pointer

Jun 26, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Funny stories, gave me a nice laugh and reminded me of a time me and a hunting buddy took his son and nephew (city boy) hunting. The nephew wanted to carry the squirrels we shot. So we were walking along a trail heading back to camp and the boy is swinging the squirrels he hits his leg with them and they spin and one of the claws grabes his leg. He threw the squirrels and started screaming the squirrels had come back to life and took off running. We picked up the squirrels after we stopped laughing.

8. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I gotta add one more post to this thread. My son and I just planted wheat, radishes, and clover at my uncle's farm. As we were driving out and approaching a hickory grove, a dang grey squirrel fell out of the sky about ten foot in front of my bumper. Bounced twice and took off. Looked at my son and said "See.....what did I tell ya?" lol