tough season

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by danf26, Apr 28, 2018.

1. danf26

danf26 8 pointer

Nov 5, 2009
    southeastky
    i have been out 5 times, can not get one to even answer me. they are gobblin on roost hit ground and never make peep. anyone else running into this?

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I’ve only got to go twice but not much shakin in my neck of the woods. A few gobbles way off, no fly downs, no hen chirps and the sign isn’t good either. I did see a gobbler today walking about 150 yds through the woods. I called a little, he stopped and stared toward my decoys for a few minutes then slowly walked on.

3. model70

model70 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    Western Ky
    Had a bird gobble twice on his own at about 10:30 or 11:00. Got set up and called to him. Never heard him again. Go figure!

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I’ve hunted turkeys for many years but no expert by any means. But what the OP is describing boils down to two possible things... in my opinion.

One ..the tom is henned up... being he will gobble on the limb but as soon as he hits the ground .. he’s surrounded by hens. He might gobble a few times on the ground or none at all... because he simply doesnt have to.

My suggestion in this schenario is either attempt to pattern the flock and be in the vicinity of where their going ..or maybe switch up your own routine. Like sleep in a little... show up around 8am and hunt till about 2pm. As up in the morning.. as season progresses and more hens are bred... toms will be more prone to seek out another hen.. hence potentially gobbling to attract or seeking a hen call.

As such... I could count all the toms I’ve killed imediately after flydown on one hand... it just hasn’t played out that way very often. Being the majority have been between 8am to about 11am.

The second possibility .. especially dealing with 3 year old or older toms... is hunting pressure.

Which repeated calling to a tom on the limb or simply “blind” calling in hopes to attract a tom.. will educate older birds. Being in nature the hen comes to the tom... and they get wise to hearing the same old sounds over & over. Combine this with blundering around and potentially bumping birds... hunting pressure can get them wary. Their just as apt to head the other direction if you call to them.

In this schenario.. change calls up... use a different sound. Which unless windy conditions dictate more volume... keep it extremely soft. Also instead of the consistent same series of yelps.. try simple clucks or soft purrs.

Which even more importantly... call very sparingly... sometimes not at all unless you see a tom or he’s gobbled and you gotten reasonably close setting up on his position. Less is more ... after we’ve thrown everything in our bag of tricks at them.

On field or open woods sets...I would use decoys...like a single hen or a hen & jake combination. Which there’s a time & place for everything but full strut or even half strut decoys can intimidate some toms and not commit. Again they have seen it all by this point in the season and toms can get decoy shy.. or potentially need a visual. It’s a 50/50 shot.. but I’d still opt for a decoy 9 out of 10 times.

Another factor this season concerning hunting success for most places in Ky ...is simply were coming off two years of poor hatches. There fewer “suicidal” 2 year olds that are very vocal and easily commits to hunters calls. So... the majority of us are dealing with older toms that are harder to hunt.

Which I apologize for being long winded here ....and best of luck to you.

cedar creek and model70 like this.
  5. Jerod

Jerod 10 pointer

Oct 30, 2008
    KY
    Opening morning was the best day for me. Eventually hens went to them. I haven't heard a gobble last 5 days. Not even a hen. It's been terrible on the 3 farms I hunt. It's like ghost farms. I'm about to hang it up. My father is near hospice care. I just can't the energy this year to deer hunt turkey on the terrain I hunt. Madison, garrard co

6. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Sorry for your father, prayers for you and family

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Very sorry about your dad. Prayers. To the OP, that’s turkey hunting. This has been a screwed up year weather wise.

8. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I haven't heard a gobble going on for 4-weeks now. Not even seeing a single hen either. Earlier in late March-early April, there were lots of them in flocks, gobbling their heads off. Don't know what happened but I gave up hunting them this Spring. Worse year in a long time!

9. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I've hunted probably 5-6 days with that time being mixed between early morning, mid day, and evening sits and had only one good day of gobbling. That was this past Tuesday afternoon. Birds started gobbling about 2 pm and gobbled good til I killed one gobbling in the field at 4:45. Hunted the same spot Saturday AM and heard nothing. Was at least 3 other birds in hear shot the day I killed that one too. Been an odd year for everything turkeys, fishing, mushrooms. Just have to take ur licks and go. It is hunting and not killing I guess.

davers likes this.
  10. NEVENUFFHP

NEVENUFFHP 6 pointer

Aug 9, 2002
    .Cecilia ky
    Its been A Tough Season, Hunt 2 different farms ,Hardly any on 1 farm ,a Few on the Other