Torn up over doe kill

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Bgkyarcher, your a real man to share your story. I respect that

I've cried over several deer over the years. I'm an old softie. I shot a small 8 pont buck at 30 yards with a bow, and spined him(I've spined 3 deer in 35+ years). He went down and bleated, and bleated, and bleated continuously. I was in complete tears. If I could taken it back I would have in an instant. I had to wipe away the tears to put one through his lungs. Thanks for the kudos, but I'm just a big tenderheart.

jhale2004

6 pointer
Sep 14, 2006
Lexvegas
I've cried over several deer over the years. I'm an old softie. I shot a small 8 pont buck at 30 yards with a bow, and spined him(I've spined 3 deer in 35+ years). He went down and bleated, and bleated, and bleated continuously. I was in complete tears. If I could taken it back I would have in an instant. I had to wipe away the tears to put one through his lungs. Thanks for the kudos, but I'm just a big tenderheart.

I'm the same way. Glad to know I'm not the only one. Thanks for sharing!

DRS

Banned
Mar 3, 2010
Kentucky
I've bowhunted for 20 yrs. Yesterday I did something that's really eating at me. I shot a doe yesterday morning and she had a spotted fawn in tow. It was a large fawn but a fawn. I've never shot a doe with a spot with her. Anyhow, its really eatin at me. I've dwelled on it since the shot. Did I screw up?? Will the little one be picked up by another group?? Can anyone give me a bit of relief from these worries?? Thanks in advance

Not to worry, as the Fawn will be fine. I am certain several have shot Doe with fawn(s) following it & felt bad about this, which is called "Bambi Syndrome". What's really bad is when the Doe is shot and runs off and the Hunter can't find it. I know I'd feel terrible about this happening.

mike goodlett

6 pointer
Aug 28, 2009
Mount Sterling ky.
I killed a old buck last year the guy who mounted it said it was 7.5 to 8.5 years old. I broke him down shot him in the shoulder and broke his other leg. The deer went about 50 yards and went down. When I got up to him he keep trying to get up I shot him again. I felt bad in a way because I could feel his strong will to live. It is just your emotions, I have never felt happy about killing a deer at the time I had to watch one die. But it is part of it and deer hunting or living for that matter. Don't worry about that deer it will be ok! and you made room for a new deer this next spring.

DRS

Banned
Mar 3, 2010
Kentucky

You're not an old softie, but rather a caring Sportsman, that cares a great deal about the overall welfare of the Game Animals you choose to hunt. I believe this has happened to 90% of Hunters; I get upset if I shoot a Squirrel and it runs off or lands in a fork of a tree, where I can't retrieve it.

reidlandbucks

6 pointer
Oct 21, 2011
McCracken County
This is an overall awesome group of hunters on this site. High moral, great ethics and an overall willingness to help. Really nice to have a spot to ask and discuss. Thanks guys

ljblue

6 pointer
Dec 15, 2008
Shepherdsville
I have passed up a lot of does because they had fawns with them. 2 yrs ago I'm hunting in the woods about 30 yds off a field and right at dark a doe comes walking by. Nailed her at 20 yds and she runs off. I see some other deer run out of the field as I'm getting down out of my tree. I go to the truck, get my lights and head back, find blood and trail her about 50 yards and i see eyes in my flashlight in front of me. there were 2 fawns standing right beside her. I got within about 10 yards before they finally ran off and they followed me the whole time i drug her out. i got to the road and loaded her up as quick as i could and left. Only deer i havent dressed in the field and I felt terrible so I know what you're going through. Heck, the guys at work were making fun of me the other day because we had a mouse in the house and i got it out without killing it. I don't kill unless I plan on eating it or my family is in danger.

Maddog10

6 pointer
Nov 13, 2010
I have passed up a lot of does because they had fawns with them. 2 yrs ago I'm hunting in the woods about 30 yds off a field and right at dark a doe comes walking by. Nailed her at 20 yds and she runs off. I see some other deer run out of the field as I'm getting down out of my tree. I go to the truck, get my lights and head back, find blood and trail her about 50 yards and i see eyes in my flashlight in front of me. there were 2 fawns standing right beside her. I got within about 10 yards before they finally ran off and they followed me the whole time i drug her out. i got to the road and loaded her up as quick as i could and left. Only deer i havent dressed in the field and I felt terrible so I know what you're going through. Heck, the guys at work were making fun of me the other day because we had a mouse in the house and i got it out without killing it. I don't kill unless I plan on eating it or my family is in danger.

This sounds exactly like me. My wife laughs at me chasing a moth through the house because I want to let it go without killing it... I shot a doe once and had the same thing happen. She dropped right in her tracks and died quickly, but the fawns just stood there with her. I tried to give them time to leave and even made some loud noises trying to get them to leave but they wouldn't do it. I finally just had to get down and run them off. It really hit me pretty hard, but the following week I hunted the same stand and here they came strolling through without a care in the world. That made me feel a lot better.

To the OP, I think that speaks of your character that you feel a certain amount of sadness when taking an animals life. A lot of true sportsmen do IMO, and that's just part of it. At the same time, there are people who can see a deer from the road, get out their rifle, shoot it, and then drive off. They had no intention of harvesting the deer, but instead just wanted to shoot something for the fun of it. These people disgust me... Congrats on the doe. The fawns will be fine.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Yep it'll be fine. I shared on another thread that I shot a doe two year ago with a Xbow but during gun season and her milk glands were full. Didn't see any little ones but still bothered me. I think you've showed you have a heart and respect for nature.

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter one way on the other. What matters is did you enjoy what you did. If you did thats great. If you didn't then do things differently next time. I personally don't enjoy killing does with very young fawns or the spotted fawns themselves. Thats just me because as I get older I just don't feel the big need to kill a lot of deer or a deer as soon as I can. I'm over that. I want some meat but I'm not in a hurry to get it. I can wait to get my does as it cools off and all the deer are older.

SO...its a personal decision. No right or wrong. Do what makes you enjoy the sport the most. You are not hurting anything by taking any deer in season but its not worth not enjoying the sport.

Latest posts