Topo map help to new user

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jshepherd, Nov 4, 2015.

1. jshepherd

jshepherd 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    Breathitt
    Hey guys I'm a new user here on the site and This is the first year I've used topo maps, what does this topo map say this area has to offer, I was thinking about putting a stand right in the center of this map if the scouting of this area pans out.

Attached Files:

2. jshepherd

jshepherd 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    Breathitt
    Yeah I'm semi familiar with the area there are a lot of hills and very deep hollers, I was wondering if that was what a saddle looked like in the center of that map. I know there's a lot of deer in that area because there is sign, I just haven't made it a priority to scout that area. Looking for another hunting area just in case. Like I said I'm new to topo maps so I really don't know what I'm looking at just trying to learn, thanks for the help

3. Rheath

Rheath 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    http://kygeonet.ky.gov/kdfwr/

It doesn't get much better than the above link. You can look at aerial and a number of topo layers. If you look at it like it is, it will be topo zooming to a certain point and then will switch to aerial. I toggle in and out with zoom to get familiar with lay of the land.

4. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I see a couple of high saddles or gaps but it looks like they only drop about 20 feet or so in elevation, nothing like a deep low gap that is often a deer highway. There are some high flats coming off of that knob that probably have traffic on them, or the benches below them.

5. 150PandY

150PandY BBBC Members

Sep 9, 2004
    Frankfort, KY, USA.
    I would hunt just above one of those saddles where you can also watch what looks to be a bench around the top of the mountain.

6. Recurve77

Recurve77 10 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    I see what appears to be potentially a couple of good saddles. Assuming your map as I am viewing it in your thread has N at the top, from the home site or barn site (the bold square) at the head of the draw, travel WSW up the drain to the top of the ridge. The ridge should narrow significantly and have a lower elevation than the 2 ridge crests located N and S of that spot. Looks like a good saddle crossing the ridge and possible pinch point when they travel on top of the ridge. The 2nd spot is very similar to the other and is located near the dot on your map just below the "1200" elevation printed on the map. Hope that helps and good luck. It's always fun to scout a new spot and topos really help in the scouting.

7. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Knowing the area and having a map is the best way to learn. Understanding what the lines and features actually stand for will come to you with time. I have a hand held GPS that has topo usa on it and it really is a nice tool for areas you have never been to.

8. jshepherd

jshepherd 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    Breathitt
    Thanks everybody, I'll let you all know what it looks like here in a few hours, I'm out scouting as we speak

9. jshepherd

jshepherd 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    Breathitt
    Alright guys just got back from looking at this area, looks like a pretty good area from the looks of things. U have a ridge with a small bench about 20 foot down that leads into a flat followed by another bench, there is a saddle with a funnel and has lots of trails all over the flat but I didn't see any rubs or scrapes, I did watch a few does going down one of the benches over into the holler below, so bucks should be there when things get heated up

10. Jelf

Jelf Fawn

Apr 27, 2015
    Here is something to help with scouting. This map displays contour lines on top of the Google aerial. When the map opens it is zoomed in on a random spot in KY.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.965430,-83.573128&z=17&t=h,USA_contour_lines

The map is displayed by Gmap4. I am the developer of this enhanced Google map viewer. This project is a public service and part of my way to 'pay it forward'.

To toggle the contour line overlay on/off click the basemap button. Then look under the "Overlay" heading and click "USA_contour_lines".

To see high resolution USGS topo maps, click the basemap button and select "t4 CalTopo Hi-res".

If there is cell service on the land where you hunt then to turn on geolocation touch Menu ==> My location.

The Gmap4 homepage has a FAQ, list of features, examples, quick start info (on the Help page) and more to quickly get you up to speed.

Gmap4 homepage: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.html

Gmap4 default map: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy

11. jshepherd

jshepherd 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    Breathitt
    Thanks I appreciate all the feedback, hunted this spot this morning and saw 3 does, I did see some rub and scrapes this morning that wasn't there yesterday while scouting so it may be promising