Tonneau cover choices.

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Iceman35, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Just got a 2016 Tacoma a couple weeks ago. Looking for a sturdy, easier on, easy off tonneau cover.

I like the idea of throwing my luggage in the bed on the way to work and have it protected, but would like to be able to easily take it off to go deer hunting.

Never bought one, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

I put this on my 15 Frontier last summer. So far no complaints. It was easy to install by myself. I spoke with someone at realtruck prior to purchasing & they recommended this one as much as a high end roll up. Could have been a sales tactic but I'm happy with it.

https://www.realtruck.com/xr-tonneau-cover/R181105P2015Y451MA.html

3. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    I prefer the hard kind that are lockable...but they are not easy on and off. However, its easy for someone to steal your stuff with the soft tops.

4. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    They will have to cut in the roll ups to get in there. I was thinking the same thing when I was in the market for one. I was leaning toward a hard top painted the same as my truck but then I would have had to remove the entire thing to get my camping stuff in the back like my grill and other tall stuff I can't fit in the camper. So I got a roll up and so far I'm happy with it.

5. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

The roll up, at least the one I have, can't be opened unless the tailgate is unlocked & opened. I figure if someone want in their getting in no matter what type you have.

6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I have an A.R.E., when ordered, they match your truck paint. it is lockable and it takes two people to remove and install. four clamps on the underside require ratchet. There's been a few times I wish I had some extra hands to remove it. when I do remove it, I set it on two saw horses. I had a cab high cap on another truck. I personally prefer the tonneau.

7. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    Both of my trucks have hard Tonneau covers, one is an "ARE" and the other is a "Capital". After owning them both for many, many years I don't believe I'd trade them for a roll-up even though on rare occasions I have had to remove one to load something tall in the bed and yes, it is a PITA, but doable.

It's amazing how much "stuff" you can carry in one by leaving the lid open though, sometimes with the tailgate down and packing whatever it is to fit the space, then tying it down.

The best thing about them, and I guess this is true of the good roll-ups too, is that you almost never hear of one being broken into. The only reason I can think of that makes this true, is that there is no way to tell if the bed is full of guns, diamonds or completely empty, without getting it open.

The only really bad thing I've ever heard about the roll-ups is that some of them leak but then, my "ARE" will leak just a little in a heavy rain too. I could probably fix it with a new seal but I'm too lazy and it ain't that bad.

By the way, I bought both of mine 2nd hand, one off eBay and the other off Craigslist, saved hundreds of dollars both times. Did have to drive to St. Louis for the ARE but it was well worth it for the paint match.

Highly recommend any good quality cover, you'll be glad you got one.

8. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    The truck I bought had one on it. I thought i would hate it and even made fun of people with bed covers in the past. It is actually really handy I have come to appreciate it.

It is a truxedoe brand one and just rolls up out of the way when you need to access the bed. It too can only be opened with the tailgate open. Locking tailgate creates some security but with a sharp knife a thief could get in. Main thing is it keeps stuff out of site and for the most part clean and dry.

We put our luggage and things in it for a trip to Florida. In a light rain everything stays dry. It is however not 100% waterproof. Water can get into your bed through the holes where used to you would 2x4's in the actually metal top of the bed. The water more or less gets into the bottom of the bed so if you can raise stuff up off the bottom of the bed it will stay dry.

9. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Ive had two over the years and end up not really using either..I can certainly see why some folks do but for me I was having to take them off every other day to haul something..I ended up both times taking them off and leaving them off because of that..
    Id suggest getting one that's easy to use, if its not you will end up not liking it.

10. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    I have an extang tri fold hard cover and love it.

11. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
  12. sheperd

sheperd 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2003
    Bardstown, Ky
    The trifold types are pretty awesome.

13. gridlock

gridlock Fawn

Feb 14, 2017
    GA
    Sorry for resurrecting this old thread but I'm considering a bed cover as well. I found good deals on retractable ones at Tonneau Covers - 4Wheelonline yet still looking at other less expensive like the tri-folds. How's them on yours over the years? TIA

14. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    We just bought a BAK Revolver X2. We'll see how it works. It's a roll up, the folding types blocks the rear window when folded and this lets use the whole bed. It looks like it will be a bit more tamper proof.