to rattle now or not

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by coon hunter, Sep 15, 2012.

1. coon hunter

coon hunter Spike

Jun 15, 2008
    Brownsville KY
    I seen bucks sparing but I wounder if soft rattling would work now I heard it will .

2. Owl

Owl Fawn

Aug 25, 2012
    Hey Coon Hunter, very light rattling will work in the early season, you just have to be sure not to overdo it and sound too aggressive. Lighter is better and go off and on for no more than 15 minutes. I will usually wait an hour after that than continue again with another sequence.

3. bullittcounty

bullittcounty 8 pointer

Aug 23, 2005
    bullitt county
    I saw two young buck sparing at dusk the other night. Just some light pushing around.

4. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    Yes rattle only lightly this time of the season.

5. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    If rattling , rattle light this time of year. I personally don't like to rattle this time of year. I think you can have luck with it now but I just don't prefer doing it this early.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I usually just use a doe bleet this early. I did hit my grunt lightly a couple of times this morning because I heard a grunt which I had never heard this early. Also thought I heard a bit of sparring but didn't see it so I don't know for sure.

7. Str8_Shot

Str8_Shot 6 pointer

Only kinda call I do this early is a doe bleat with the CAN.I dont like to do any kinda rattlling this early,just dont have the confidence and dont wanna educate the deer anymore than I have too.

8. KY_M_Mitch1991

KY_M_Mitch1991 6 pointer

Jun 24, 2012
    KENTUCKY
    For me, it's early, but, like everyone else has stated, if I did it would be very very light. It's a little early to be flipping the can too. However, every area is different. Do what the deer are doing and you'll be fine.

9. Whitetail Shed-dar

Whitetail Shed-dar 8 pointer

May 31, 2008
    Georgetown
    I've used light rattling or what I like to say tickling the antlers. I've used for many years as early as opening weekend of bow. Have hand many deer come into them. If anything I think it just makes deer think other deer are near by.

10. Whitetail Shed-dar

Whitetail Shed-dar 8 pointer

May 31, 2008
    Georgetown
    I got several pics this past week of deer sparing and semi aggressive.

11. mustanginky

mustanginky 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2011
    louisville KY
    grandpa saw two small bucks doing some light horn locking this week. not too sure i would do it just yet as i'd imagine smaller deer are doing it right now but it could work.

12. alldaydust

alldaydust Fawn

Feb 28, 2010
    Saturday 4 shooter 8pts. came in to a big red oak that's dropping acorns good and they all hit a scrape, then started hitting pretty good! The 2 of them that were hard horned that is.

13. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    You got some still in velvet? Seems awful late.

14. alldaydust

alldaydust Fawn

Feb 28, 2010
    2 of the 8's still had velvet, they were probably losing it but as of Saturday they had some on

15. kyslimdog

kyslimdog Fawn

Feb 8, 2012
    down the holler
    I agree with everyone 100% that if I am going to rattle this early that is is going to be very light but last saturday on stand I watched two bucks sparring and it got pretty agressive. I was 275 yards from them and i could hear horns clashing plain as day and it lasted off and on for 20 minutes. Also in my own oppinion it isnt too early to throw out a few bleats or grunts as well i use them year around, these vocalizations are how deer comunitate to one another.. heres something to think about... "Do people only talk or fight when they are ready to get it on?... "the RUT"" This is just my 2 cents hope it helps someone out