To many does in zone 1

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyoutdoorsman, Jun 23, 2019.

1. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Is it a bad thing to have to many does, do they all get bred, does anyone have this problem

2. bearleft

bearleft 6 pointer

Mar 16, 2014
    La Grange KY
    YES, crop depredation and vehicle accidents to name a few.
    I'd bet most if not all get bred, i'm sure a biologist could chime in.
    Back in 2000-2003 I was beyond lucky to hunt (FOR FREE) a 40 acre wood line to a 200 acre crop field, I would see at least 80 deer per hunt !!
    My buddy has a pic of 140+ deer in said field.
    Fast forward to 2019 rarely see more than a couple deer in that field??

Gooch likes this.
  3. bah1286

bah1286 6 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    So was the hunting better when you were seeing 80 deer per hunt or just a few deer per hunt?

Jack Ryan and carnivore like this.
  4. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    I wouldn’t really call it a problem, but sometimes we have just a few more deer on our place than I would really like.
    I have put out food plots every year since we’ve been here. Only in the last few years have we had enough deer that they are keeping the food plots picked down. That’s about 1 acre of food plots on 165 acres.

As I understand it, a healthy doe family consists of about 6 or so deer, made up of a grandma, one or two of her adult daughters, and all of their fawns.
    Same amount with a bachelor group of bucks. So, that’s kind of what we try for. It’s not an exact science, and we’ve never seen more than 4 bucks at a time.

In 2016, during gun season, I had 8 yearlings in a food plot, while my son had 8 yearlings in the plot he was watching. It kinda felt like we were babysitting, while the adults were out doing unmentionable things. It was cool seeing so many, but I don’t want them to eat themselves out of house and home.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    cedar creek likes this.
  5. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I live in a zone 1 county and have 86 acres. We have an abundance of does on my farm. We could actually have a few thinned out. Most of them do get bred every year and the amount of bucks that hang out here during the rut can be crazy sometimes.

6. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Sure dont have that problem where I hunt. I'd be glad to kill some does for someone! I'd like to put 3 or 4 in the freezer every year.

7. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 10 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    We have too many doe in zone 1.that's why unlimited doe harvest is on the table.best ratio is 1 doe to 1 buck.or 2 doe to 1 buck.best for the herd.the breading of the doe to mature bucks.the rut is way more intense.fighting,more vocal,more chasing.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  8. T-wil69

T-wil69 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I always see people talking about a 1:1 ratio and how it’s impossible to keep, I’m in zone two and I run a lot of cameras every year and judging by my pics I always have about 2-3 bucks on camera for every doe at all my spots, maybe the doe’s don’t like the corn as much as the bucks do but I have had camera’s that have had multiple bucks with zero does

9. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I doubt anyone who started hunting in the 60's, 70's or even 80's in parts of KY would argue too many doe's is a problem.. Heck, even the Zone 4 hunters would like to have that issue.

Biologically speaking, I'd say it's a problem, as they cant over browse the habitat. Hard to say if they all get bred, but I'd guess well over 90 percent do, as I rarely see does without fawns in early season. When I do see them fawnless, there's no way of knowing if they just didn't get bred, or a coyote killed their fawn

10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Well you can find old threads where we’ve spoke on this. The amount of does still varies from property to property. Our Zone 1 property we hunt may not be as inviting as some of the surrounding properties so maybe a few deer have gone elsewhere? Can’t say for sure but we don’t have near the deer, buck or does, we had from like 07-12. I’m not a fan of the unlimited doe harvests but I know the numbers in many places support it.

11. bearleft

bearleft 6 pointer

Mar 16, 2014
    La Grange KY
    More is always better for the hunter, I'm sure the farmers like there present yield.
    I would love to have that opportunity again, it's been tough putting meat in the freezer lately.

12. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    This. A few years ago, I had access to 2, 40 acres parcels, literally across the road from each other. I saw probably 10 times as many deer on the east side of the road as the west, though the biggest buck I ever saw the whole 8 years I hunted those property was on the west. Point is, an persons perception of how many deer are around is completely subjective based on where they hunt.

revwilder and xbokilla like this.
  13. supergoat80

supergoat80 10 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    We generally kill 20 to 40 does a year off of about 1200 acres. You can’t even tell come the next year.

14. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Stuff like this is really interesting to me. Was there any noticeable difference in the habitat from one side of the road to the other? If you had to guess, why do think there were so many more on the east side?

I know that our numbers came up pretty quick when I learned about sanctuaries and hingecutting and making individual deer beds...ok, and shell corn.

15. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I m in zone 1 and I don't have the Does here on my farm I like to see. With the leasers around me they kill every Doe they see.