To hunt or not to Hunt

BG33

6 pointer
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester, Kentucky
I went to check out my stand today and ran into a problem. I have a power line that runs next to my property and I heard a dirt bike trying to climb the power line hill. I go out there and about 5 or 6 boys are their watching this joker try to climb this hill. The power line is roughly 100 yards from my stand location. The power line borders my land so I can't really do anything about it. I went over there and gave a warning, but I'm sure they didn't pay any attention to me. I also made a phone call to the local GW. I've had cameras stolen and I've had my treestands tampered with in the past couple of months. My question is "Should I hunt that stand in the morning or would I be wasting my time?" The deer always come from that direction. I know I want kill a deer in the bed, but have any of you guys dealt with things like this before. I guess the real question here is "Do the dirtbikes and 4wheelers have a major affect on deer activity?" Anybody got any thoughts on this.

killer

12 pointer
May 7, 2004
"In that good way!"
It depends on how often they ride. I've noticed that if they don't ride through the thickets and bedding areas the deer kinda get used to them. If I thought the deer were in the area I'd hunt for sure.

4UK

6 pointer
Oct 14, 2009
Johnson co Ky
In my opinion it would be in what you are wanting to get , I would say a big dominant buck would not put up with much intrusion , whereas younger bucks and does would be more likely to stick to their same patterns. Thats my 2 cents anyway , good luck hope you get one.

Jerod

10 pointer
Oct 30, 2008
KY
i dealt with this issue a few yrs ago. This kid rode every night leading to deer season for about a month. It basically destroyed any chances of seeing a nice buck. I killed a few does but they came in from the other farm. Id relocate my stand on another part of your farm if you can.

BG33

6 pointer
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester, Kentucky
Thanks for the input guys. I think I can move my stand and probably be better off in the long run anyway. I'm after the big boys and I think that the 4wheelers will keep them away. I'm sure deer get used to people riding, but I would think the bucks would choose a different route.

Buck_Nasty

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2009
Laurel County
Thanks for the input guys. I think I can move my stand and probably be better off in the long run anyway. I'm after the big boys and I think that the 4wheelers will keep them away. I'm sure deer get used to people riding, but I would think the bucks would choose a different route.

Get Chop up there to show you where the big boys are at. He is a master of surprise in his $300 dollar suit. When you see him, tell him I found a warped arrow that flies like a plastic fluke jerk bait. He is sure to connect with it.

BG33

6 pointer
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester, Kentucky
haha, Ben C. told him the other night that he had 3 deer on camera since Porkchop had been hunting up there. One had a hole in its ear, one was limping, and one had the hair shaved off its back. I was cracking up.

Buck_Nasty

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2009
Laurel County
haha, Ben C. told him the other night that he had 3 deer on camera since Porkchop had been hunting up there. One had a hole in its ear, one was limping, and one had the hair shaved off its back. I was cracking up.

LOL. I was over there a little while ago to visit with the old man. I seen Chop wheeling and dealing on a sale so I pulled in. I told him to come and get those arrows I have that are messed up. I thought about telling him I was watching the stock market before I left home and Easton's stock went up 22 points since he has been hunting.

hunt4ever918

6 pointer
Mar 26, 2008
Northern Kentucky
Before I sold my 4wheeler last year I used to go to the farm I hunt on and ride all the time......I usually kill nice deer every year............Most people aren't out riding dirt bikes in the early A.M.......If they start riding while you are hunting then that maybe a issue........Other than that my opinion is get up and hunt...........If a hot doe comes through, Its hard to tell how many or how big of deer will come through.......Im not being a smart*** but too many people mentally kill theirself when hunting........They always have a reason to not hunt a certain spot or a reason why a mature buck wont show up.........I think main keys to killing nice bucks are 1)get out of bed and hunt 2)scent control 3)hunt the wind 4)stand placement, bucks run the land differently than does 5)sit still 6)listen for squirrels and bluejays to give up a deers location

Latest posts