To hunt or not to hunt

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyhunter99, Aug 13, 2019.

1. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    I think i would chuck an arrow at him too now that i review how big his body is, its a good amount of meat.

2. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    This is your first bow season, you don’t need standards, you don’t have standards that are legitimate. Just go shoot some deer with your bow. You need to build yourself up from the bottom. I’m not trying to be harsh but you’re talking like your a 20yr veteran. You are setting yourself up for Failure and ruining this experience. Why turn this molehill into a mountain? If this big five-year-old Booner walked out in front of you you will most likely choke and won’t even be able to pull your bow back. I promise I’m not trying to be mean but this site will turn you into a Internet talker.

Please don’t get mad at me because I’m not trying to be mean but I feel like we owe it to everyone to be honest so we can all improve in the best way

3. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    Its yet to be seen how i will act. No offense but i may not get buck fever at all.

4. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Fair enough, but I guarantee you nobody will judge if you post a picture with the small six-point with a huge smile on your face and a bloody heart in your fist!!!!

Best of luck and sry again for that last rant

kyhunter99 likes this.
  5. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I hope you do. If that feeling ever stops for me I’ll just quit. Buck fever doesn’t mean you’ll fail. It means you have a hunter’s heart.

6. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    I get a little jittery after shots but not real bad. When a deer steps out the only thing i think about is where its heart is. And then im just in shooting mode.
    Killing a deer is something that makes me both happy and sad.
    This thread is pretty informative for me, helping to figure out what im thinking and why.

Ok, i have resolved myself.

That being said i may never see a deer this big again--cause hunting is what it is. And i accept that too.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  7. trapper perry

trapper perry 12 pointer

May 10, 2009
    Take some advise from a old man.Ive killed my share of deer and have taught 2 sons and 1 grandson to hunt.If your just starting to bow hunt I would not worry too much about rack size or age.Kill you some deer bucks or does.Get several kills under your belt.Then start worrying about size.Will make you a better hunter with more experience.When the time comes for a big buck then you’ll be ready.You get that killer instinct you won’t be thinking too much you just react and make a good shot.That comes from experience.

8. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Shooter to me,.regardless of experience...But that is for each to decide. Sound good advice given on this thread. Enjoy YOUR hunt.

rockhousehunter and xbokilla like this.
  9. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    I made the mistake of setting my standards too high when I started bowhunting. Believe me, if a 3-legged doe comes by, take her. Ditto for anything with a recognizeable antler. Get all that under your belt and get your cherry popped, then start thinking about holding out for a bruiser.

I ate tag soup for the first several years and made myself miserable.

A few years ago, I watched a documentary about the Japanese and why their birthrate was plummeting. One of the interviews they did was a bunch of 20-something guys who described the women they wanted to date. They all agreed that they had to be gorgeous. Most said that they wanted the chick to have super powers, but they argued amongst themselves about which super power (flight, strength, invisibility, etc.) was preferrable. No wonder the Japanese can't breed. This conversation reminded me of that documentary.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  10. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    Thats not even comparable, because people cant have superpowers and arent japanese overpopulated? Or is that china?
    Anyway.. it wouldnt exactly be tag soup because theres 2 more weapons i could use to kill something in the later season.
    But there may be truth behind going ahead and killing something--but i wont waste my buck tag on a one antler 1 year old spike. Keeping my tag would be better. Imo.

11. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Don't fall into the antler worship gang. Shoot whatever makes you happy.

12. ancienthunter

ancienthunter 6 pointer

Dec 25, 2011
    Over the Hill
    There’s no comparison between hunting with a bow or gun, to me shooting a deer with a gun is like shooting aunt Besty’s Old cow you just put the crosshairs on it and squeeze the trigger. With a bow you watch it walk in, hoping it don’t smell you waiting for it to get close enough, get broadside so you have a shot and then to be able to draw your bow without it hearing or seeing you and if it’s happens to be a nice buck you can just increase emotion 10 fold. At least it’s that way for me.

beauhunter41031 and kyhunter99 like this.
  13. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Sometimes I'm as cool as anything before and during the shot then start shaking like a leaf after I shoot. Wish I could make that happen every time...lol

14. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    The first and only buck ive killed was a young 10pt.. i felt bad about it after i realized it. And a few years later i passed on a 14pt. Because he was young too. I dont feel bad about that.
    Not for a second.
    I wouldnt say im a strict antler worshipper. Im like an age worshipper.

15. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Why did you feel bad? A very small % of bucks live past 3. Even fewer to 5 or more. Enjoy the hunt, kill some deer.

Meatstick likes this.