To hunt or not to hunt

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyhunter99, Aug 13, 2019.

1. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    So i saw this pretty guy today. I just dont know if i want him or not--we are talking for my first bow season.
    I like him, i dont quite *love* him..

All i had was a potato to take the picture with so please no comment on quality.

He has fairly long g2s but his g3s are still stubby. Decent spread..
    I feel like i may be letting deer ive had crushes on in the past be a gold standard. Ive only seen two bucks in person that i know i would have shot--a massive 6pt, and a nice 10pt. But i wasnt hunting. This guy is an 8.
    Anyone have any tips on how to tie break the decision? 20190813_225415.jpg

Eh... nevermind. i think ill shoot him.

Or maybe not... dang it!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    mac0492, BEAGLER89 and Genesis 27:3 like this.
  2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Just my two cents worth.... but if this is your first bow season .. don’t put pressure on yourself by trying to figure out if you would shoot this buck or not.

Way too many variables in bow hunting to corner yourself to a certain buck... or better said a certain sized buck.

Just crawl you butt in the stand and let things happen on their own and pull back on the doe or buck that presents you the best shot placement within your comfort zone.

Your first season needs to be about experience with deer in close range and controlling emotions. Just enjoy it without the pressure of killing a certain sized buck.

3. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    If he gets close enough for a bow shot you will be torn up with excitement and will take a shot I bet.

mac0492 likes this.
  4. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Don't forget, you may or may not actually get a good shot at him. Opportunities don't happen as often as we would like.
    I have several bucks on camera that I never saw during daylight.

mac0492, Ataulbe1 and beauhunter41031 like this.
  5. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    So do you all tend to get more intense buck fever with bow than gun?
    Also for me its about the tag. Id like to get a buck with a bow but thats my only tag for the year and im going to go out with a muzzy or rifle later in the season anyway. Do i really want to settle and risk blowing my tag?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  6. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I absolutely do.

mac0492 likes this.
  7. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Words of advice.....HAVE FUN!

carnivore and beauhunter41031 like this.
  8. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I would have no deliberating on that deer at all. Especially with a bow. Shoot him if u get the opp.. I don’t know whst ur standards are but imho u wouldn’t be blowing ur tag on that deer.

9. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    as for the the excitement part, there’s nothing like up in ur face bow hunting!

10. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Don't let the hoopla of inches of antler cloud the reason you started hunting to begin with. Now to each his own on size but I personally have never fallen to that train of thought. Its about the hunt. If when you see this deer or any deer he/she gets your heart going then take him/her. There is no wasting of a tag with a harvest. Horns look good on the wall but a trophy is what you make it. I prefer to share my trophies with my family accompanied by a baked potato and some mixed veggies. Horns are hard to cut with a knife so any harvest is a trophy in my book.

mudhole crossing likes this.
  11. xilk123

xilk123 8 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    If its your first bow season you will be surprised what will get your blood pumping when it gets within range. I have no doubt you would take that deer and probably much less imo.

12. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    And don’t leave the heart in the gut pile for Gods sake. The best taste and texture of meat in a deer imo by far.

13. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I usually let my emotions and Adrenalin (and make sure it’s a good quality shot) at the time determine if I decide to shoot.

The “big enough to shoot” mentality really put a damper on how much I enjoyed deer hunting, so I left it by the wayside some seasons back.

14. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky

My first bow kill was a real real small Doe. I waited in the stand Shaking for hours for my buddy and his stepdad so we could track it and Didnt even realize that I had shot something that small, My blood was pumping and it just happened. he was proud of me but kind of chuckled when he threw it over the shoulder and packed it to the truck. I was so pumped and proud of myself that’s what made the memories.

I don’t really get all bent out of shape with these deer I have on camera and definitely don’t pressure myself that that’s a standard I have to keep.

Get up in your stand and have fun if he shows up broadside throw an arrow at him . don’t try and make decisions sitting at a computer that will change in the stand

Just keep practicing and practicing more. Wax on. Wax off grasshopper

xilk123 and kyhunter99 like this.
  15. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    I feel i have to clarify what my standards are exactly and why i have them--flawed thought or not.
    My aim has always been to take a mature buck with reasonable mass and beam and tine length. Like a 4-5.5yo+ deer. An old bruiser thats had a few seasons of being at the top and breeding does.
    For some reason this deer struck me as not quite there. Like a 3.5yo. He made me say "ooh." But not "oh my god"
    And i went back and forth about his tine and beams. The g2s definitely have it...
    And any deer i take gets eaten, id rather have a big bodied buck than a small anything--that makes alot of grub!

But, this boy just seems right on the line. I dont value so much that it could be a trophy in terms of inches but of what the frame would signify, an old bruiser. A brute on the edge of his hill.
    Maybe thats what im a little stuck on. Dreamt of scouting bucks all night last night...