To bag or not to bag

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Ataulbe1, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    For those of you who cooler age deer. Do you bag the meat or leave loose, packed with ice? We just started doing this a few years ago and this year is the first we tried bagging it.

Meat stayed nice and red as opposed to the ones we packed with ice, but I read that the moisture can cause the meat to spoil. I'm skeptical...anyone ever had that issue?

2. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I’ve never done the cooler thing but I’ve always deboned and put in non scented garbage bags and put in refrigerator for no more than a week. Then I cut up and put in freezer. I’d rather do it this way.

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    If in cooler, I'd pull the plug and tilt it to let the water drain......

4. EastKYHardwoodHunter

EastKYHardwoodHunter 6 pointer

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    I’ll keep my quartered up deer on ice in a cooler for at least 5 days, allowing the water to run off and out of the cooler. gets rid of a lot of excess blood and meat is just fine.

xbokilla likes this.
  5. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    We've talked about buying an old refrigerator for deer camp just for that reason. We always run out of room.

Nock likes this.
  6. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Yep this is how we do it as well. Good cooler, drain open, and usually around 4-7 days. Sounds like you all dont bag it?

7. huckleberry

huckleberry 6 pointer

Jun 21, 2010
    Hardin Springs
    I just quarter and put in a few tubs in the fridge for at least 4 days. Don't like mine swimming.

8. EastKYHardwoodHunter

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    Vacuum seal after the 5

9. EastKYHardwoodHunter

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    Try that again...debone and vacuum seal after the 5 or so days on ice how we do it

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  10. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I debone it. Put in cooler of ice water. Soak it 3 days. Everyday drain the water and add water and ice. 4th day cut up and wrap it. Like to soak the blood out of it. Never had any problems keeping it this way. Been doing it for years.

11. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I done it this way for years, never had a problem

DH13 likes this.
  12. Pointpuller

Pointpuller 8 pointer

Feb 15, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL.
    My deer meat isn't ever touching water let alone soaking in it. I keep it cool and dry until I process it. Kinda like they do with beef............hint,hint.
    Do y'all think they soak your beef in water before its processed? Hell no.

13. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    They can do with Beef what they want. I have a Beef killed every year. I don't soak it either. But will soak my Deer meat.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  14. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I've started bagging the meat and then putting on ice. If I have time, I'll go ahead and vacuum seal and then put it on ice.
    I never had any issues putting the meat in the cooler on ice in the past. When I started bagging, then putting on ice to age, the meat seemed to be in better shape. Not that gray look. When I put it in ziplock bags, I don't want any additional moisture on the meat. If I can get the skin off, and hang the carcass over night, that's when I seem to have the best results. In the early season, if I see the deer go down, I'll go immediately to the deer and field dress it, get it to the house, and start getting the skin off.

Ataulbe1 and bgkyarcher like this.
  15. model70

model70 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    Western Ky
    That's how I do it if the weather ain't right for letting them hang.

Trophyspike likes this.