tips please

swampking

6 pointer
Oct 17, 2010
I have a lab pup that does everything i ask of him very well, he will pick up a dummy all day but will have nothing to do with a real duck or goose. any advice would be great. thanks

Dec 17, 2010
Kentucky
Our pup did the same thing it took her a wile before she would retrieve a real bird in drills, just two weeks a go she made her first retrieve on a hunt, and a goose no less! It just takes time.

olducker

8 pointer
Aug 14, 2009
Chandler IN
I have a lab pup that does everything i ask of him very well, he will pick up a dummy all day but will have nothing to do with a real duck or goose. any advice would be great. thanks

A duck wing is great for a pup and a lot of praise....

ry%3D400

Wooldo

Spike
Jan 7, 2008
Shepherdsville
Has he been through force fetch yet? Once through ff you will then have a command to get them to pick something up along with hold. Fetch becomes like sit, here, or any other command. If he's still too young for ff then do take it easy as others have said and find a way to make it FUN. Usually if you get them worked up enough they will pick it up without thinking about it first.

swampking

6 pointer
Oct 17, 2010
i have tried everything stated above plus a live duck and still nothing he has not been ff and is 13 months old, is that old enough, and is that what i need to do?

olducker

8 pointer
Aug 14, 2009
Chandler IN
i have tried everything stated above plus a live duck and still nothing he has not been ff and is 13 months old, is that old enough, and is that what i need to do?

Oh YOU need to FF at 9 to 10 months old....

I have a lab pup that does everything i ask of him very well, he will pick up a dummy all day but will have nothing to do with a real duck or goose. any advice would be great. thanks[/QUOTE

ok this was THE WAY HR-AA-Duke WAS at 9 months old....this is AA ..After FF..at 10 months..:
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2010
Kentucky
Heres what we did and i know some guys on here arnt gona like it but it worked with jessi and shes good to go now,

We took her on a hunt and got her to where she would run out after the birds we had shot but not pick them up, we walked out to the birds with her picked them up and gave her praise. Then when we got home we got one of the dead birds and essentially played with her with it like it was a toy. gradually she started to mouth it and then she got used to the idea of having the bird in her mouth. The next time we took her hunting and we killed a bird she would go out and mouth at it but not pick it up. So we did the "play" with it thing again at the blind to get her to get used to the feathers. Then we had her sit and we threw the duck about 10 yards from the blind she marked it we sent her and thats all she wrote. Shes good to go now. I just think its gona take a lot of getting your dog around the atmosphere and lots of praise when dealing with ducks. Your dog will get it its just takes time. Hell Jessis 3 now and just this year was her first retrieve on a hunt.

Good luck with your dog, hope this helps.

Greenhead

olducker

8 pointer
Aug 14, 2009
Chandler IN
some dogs have the desire some don't. If the dog is that old and won't pick one up I'd call a professional trainer and ask them for assistance. They might have a trick or two to help. If that doesn't do it Rover might be a house pet.

Force fetch is what the professional trainer will do.....tim

olducker

8 pointer
Aug 14, 2009
Chandler IN
so will a good trainer still ff a dog that old?

yes.............0h and if you do not have the money for a pro trainer ..you CAN DO IT ..eH.... and no pliers ....lot of good books and DVD'S OUT there...Tim

Andru did the FF..ON AA ..WHEN HE WAS 14...SO if a 14 year old can do it ,,,YOU CAN !

ry%3D400

UKC--HR at 19 months old
ry%3D400

Last edited:

broberts0031

6 pointer
Dec 9, 2009
i sent my dog to a profesional last week shes 8 months....just in 5 days he had her holding and carrying bumpers, brushes, duck dummies and 5 and 8 pound dumbells around. she would hold them, walk at heel with them, and release them on command....pretty good if u ask me, goes to show that if u kno what ur doing u can really get some stuff done. she'll be goin back in a week or two i hope to get the rest of force fetch finished!! (would have left her there but the old lady missed her LOL) nice looking dog olduck...what retreiver club are u in?

swampking

6 pointer
Oct 17, 2010
Heres what we did and i know some guys on here arnt gona like it but it worked with jessi and shes good to go now,

We took her on a hunt and got her to where she would run out after the birds we had shot but not pick them up, we walked out to the birds with her picked them up and gave her praise. Then when we got home we got one of the dead birds and essentially played with her with it like it was a toy. gradually she started to mouth it and then she got used to the idea of having the bird in her mouth. The next time we took her hunting and we killed a bird she would go out and mouth at it but not pick it up. So we did the "play" with it thing again at the blind to get her to get used to the feathers. Then we had her sit and we threw the duck about 10 yards from the blind she marked it we sent her and thats all she wrote. Shes good to go now. I just think its gona take a lot of getting your dog around the atmosphere and lots of praise when dealing with ducks. Your dog will get it its just takes time. Hell Jessis 3 now and just this year was her first retrieve on a hunt.

Good luck with your dog, hope this helps.

Greenhead
out
tried thes today and he picked it up with no problem. so i played with him for about 30 min and never had a problem, thanks alot! he is not perfect but he is well on his way now, once again thanks everyone.