Tips for Small-Game Hunter Courtesy on WMA's

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by SummertimeCarl, Oct 24, 2018.

1. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    i cant remember if it was yellowbanks or another during gun season. the place we pulled uo to, late because of parting the night before, you could spot 12 orange shooters, before you when into the woods, an after ya got in the woods, stands every where. i tried to find a secluded spot, far bout an hour, an when back to the jeep, an sit, on the ground, till my friend showed up. after an hour or so we finally left. i wouldnt be in that spot again, an most defiantly wont go hunting small game during, gun season for deer.. that place had more hunters than fleas on a cat. you an your dogs should wear bells.

2. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Some WMA's are closed to firearms season for deer, Like Dewey and Paintsville.. if your looking for public land to small game hunt during rifle season those WMA's that are closed to firearms deer season are good places to go..

SummertimeCarl likes this.
  3. JoeTal

JoeTal 6 pointer

Apr 22, 2010
    Louisville
    @SummertimeCarl

i only hunt public wmas.

its a risk to take for deer hunters, someone else walking in on you in public..

that being said, i look for deer hunters and if i see someone i backout and go to a different area.

its kinda my responsibility to keep an eye out for everyone and my dog.

my dog wears a bell majority of the time, and i don't let him go out to far. My griffon is a fairly close worker anyways 20/30 yards.

I'm only hunting small game and in 10 years I've probably ever ran into a hand full of people.

keep an eye out for who's on the property parking lot.

you might actually push something their way so it could benefit them.

but other than that I'm usually real quiet and with my dog i don't need to yell commands. simple whistles and body language.

when I'm woodcock hunting I'm in cover most deer hunters would probably not be in anyways.

4. SummertimeCarl

SummertimeCarl Fawn

Jan 16, 2018
    Louisville
    I've never seen anything like that at the WMA's I've been to. There's usually a sign and map but no magnets. Sounds like a great idea, truthfully - I had thought about printing out maps to place on my truck with a sign that says "I'll be taking this route" so people know to avoid my route.

It's a strange thing, I don't really mind being "disturbed" by another hunter but I'm "disturbed" by the thought of disturbing another hunter myself. If I'm the first truck in the lot, though, I feel less bad about walking up near someone's stand because I was there first to begin with.

Ataulbe1 and KYBOY like this.
  5. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

When your driving and you see a dog box in the truck parked along the road, slow down.