Tips for 1st Time Teen Hunter (public land)

hudsonhunt

Fawn
Sep 18, 2022
Winchester, KY
I would also suggest reading up on how to field dress and care for the meat after the shot. I started hunting in the early 80's with no previous knowledge, other than books. (pre-internet) I actually carried copies of the pages showing "how to field dress a deer", folded up in my pocket. LOL! And used it!

If you plan on mounting the head, you need to know you can't open up the deer too far, or you'll mess it up. Cooling the deer down quickly is important too, and hanging it for a few days is preferred by many (including me). Read up on that stuff too.

Most of all, be safe and have fun. It's not for everyone, but very thrilling and even addictive to some!! GOOD LUCK to the young lady!
I'm going to tell my husband to look about how to do specially for saving the head. He's also attending Field to Fork (put on by Fish and Wildlife) this upcoming weekend to learn more and has probably watched a dozen videos - our daughter has watched some of the videos, but can't attend Field to Fork as it's for 18+ only. He did field dress his own deer (with help) when he went hunting before, but that over 25 years ago so he's treating it like he's got to learn it all over again 🙂

Thank you! I think she's going to end up loving it if her excitement level now is any indication LOL

Dec 9, 2021
Powell Co.
She'll be on the ground this trip. I told her we might eventually invest in a climbing tree stand or ground stand for her, but let's be more sure she's going to stick with it before we over-invest 😉

In that case, my first suggestion would be to prioritize comfort. Staying still and quiet is even more important on the ground than it is in a stand, and if she is uncomfortable, she will be fidgety. Second thing is scent. It’s much easier for deer to wind you on the ground, so make sure she uses a good cover scent when walking in and out. I like a little vanilla extract mixed with distilled water and sprayed on my shoes and legs. You can also use store bought stuff like nose jammer, or stick a Q-tip soaked in fox urine between your shoelaces. But the vanilla always works best for me. Deer seem both confused by it and strangely attracted to it. Last thing - if the youth hunt is before the first frost, then turkey mites (larval ticks) can be a problem depending on your area. Some places don’t have em and others are covered up in em. Permethrin works great and doesn’t have a smell… just make sure you only use it on your shoes and clothes and not on your skin.

Good luck to her!! Time spent in the woods is valuable experience even if she doesn’t get a deer.

Jan 16, 2018
Louisville
@hudsonhunt Sounds like a super exciting opportunity to get your daughter into the outdoors!

You've already taken my first bit of advice which is to really study the KY F&W page for regulations - I never imagined hunting would require weeding through so many rules and regulations but it's a critical step.

#2 Enjoy hunting public land. I know it's not as ideal as private land but some people underestimate how hard getting permission can be. Many don't have a lot of public land experience themselves so are judging it inappropriately, and many don't understand how awesome it is to have millions of acres of land to explore instead of returning to the same ol' 20 acres year after year.

#3 - Preferably invest in OnX and have a spot A, B, and C to go to. Get there very very early. I've never youth-gun-hunted Green River WMA but have hunted there often for other seasons. I usually arrive at spot A at 4am and if there's a truck there go to spot B or spot C. Avoid the obvious spots with big parking lots like Pikes Ridge Rd, that's most people's mistake. There will be other hunters there and that specific spot is a steep ridge would would make hauling a deer out tough anyway. Most hunters do 5 minutes of research and head in, you want to be the one to find less obvious access.

Overall be safe, know the laws, and have fun enjoying a quiet sunrise in the woods. If ya'll shoot a deer it's just the icing on the cake!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220926_102121.jpg
    Screenshot_20220926_102121.jpg
    748.9 KB · Views: 16

257Wmag

6 pointer
Oct 7, 2015
NC
First off, you both are doing a great thing in supporting your daughters interest in hunting. As a dad to a 14 year old that I hunt with the memories are priceless! She’s killed a turkey, two does and last year killed her first buck which is at the taxidermist.

Make sure that you always keep it fun, best advice I can give. When kids get cold, bored, wet, whatever and want to call it you have appreciate that. Bring snacks and other stuff to keep them occupied when it’s slow. Some kind of blind, either box or ground blind is helpful with kids. May want to look at a double chair blind. Easy to carry and set up, will keep movement of antsy kids hidden. If you can find private ground with deer on it it’d be a huge plus. Kids don’t love walking 2 miles in and out.

Always hunt the wind too but I’m sure you know that.

Good luck! Better to keep your kids spending time with you in the outdoors then other stuff that is always in their face these days.

hudsonhunt

Fawn
Sep 18, 2022
Winchester, KY
@hudsonhunt Sounds like a super exciting opportunity to get your daughter into the outdoors!

You've already taken my first bit of advice which is to really study the KY F&W page for regulations - I never imagined hunting would require weeding through so many rules and regulations but it's a critical step.

#2 Enjoy hunting public land. I know it's not as ideal as private land but some people underestimate how hard getting permission can be. Many don't have a lot of public land experience themselves so are judging it inappropriately, and many don't understand how awesome it is to have millions of acres of land to explore instead of returning to the same ol' 20 acres year after year.

#3 - Preferably invest in OnX and have a spot A, B, and C to go to. Get there very very early. I've never youth-gun-hunted Green River WMA but have hunted there often for other seasons. I usually arrive at spot A at 4am and if there's a truck there go to spot B or spot C. Avoid the obvious spots with big parking lots like Pikes Ridge Rd, that's most people's mistake. There will be other hunters there and that specific spot is a steep ridge would would make hauling a deer out tough anyway. Most hunters do 5 minutes of research and head in, you want to be the one to find less obvious access.

Overall be safe, know the laws, and have fun enjoying a quiet sunrise in the woods. If ya'll shoot a deer it's just the icing on the cake!
Thank you for recognizing that public land is what works for us at this time! My husband downloaded OnX and has been familiarizing himself with it. He likes it so far!

Oct 13, 2017
Hardin
Hey y'all! I'm the mom of a first time teen hunter (our 15 year old daughter). I've grown up knowing folks who hunt (uncles, friends, etc.) but have never been and her Dad went a couple times as a kid but that was with experienced hunters where all he had to do was show up and shoot the gun they handed him.

That said, we've read all the articles, bought all the basics (nothing fancy but enough to get them out there for the youth weekend coming up), and they've both taken hunter's education and will be going to their range day tomorrow. But I'd love some real input as well, any tips for a beginning teen hunter on public land?

We got her a Savage Axis compact 6.5 Creedmoor with a fairly basic Vortex scope. Again, not the fanciest out there but will get the job done. I think they're planning to go to Green River WMA (...I think that's the name of it...), but they're definitely open to suggestions 🙂
What county do you live in?

Latest posts