Times with grandpa

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by CRFmxracer, Dec 9, 2020.

1. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Well. My grandp accidentally posted something on Facebook that he shouldn’t have. Nothing inappropriate but it was a customers personal information. So I went over there to delete it. Sat down, he asked if I wanted a drink and I said, hell I was planning on going to the gym but might as well! Ended up talking about guns and he got the gun safe opened and shared stories about a Mauser pistol his dad bought off someone who got it off a German in WWII. Shared stories about a .22 revolver with the finish wore off he packed every where he went. Shared stories about every gun in the safe. Then I remembered last time I was there he was talking about breaking down a S&W pistol he had. The spring worried him so I told him go grab it I’ll clean it for him. Well I’m glad I did because it took me about an hour to figure out how to put it back together the breakdown and reassembly instructions are WRONG! lol. Got it back together and went to the kitchen for another drink. He has a pile of Polaroids from back in his houseboat days on the Ohio river. Mid 80s-90s. I can’t say what I saw but they had some good times!

anyway. Our family has struggled with staying close for personal reasons. My grandma passed away a few years ago and my grandpa ever since has been a little awkward choosing between offspring because of disagreements. Anyway. Today was the first time in a long time I’ve seen my grandpa let loose and reminisce on the old days. All the Polaroids we looked through he would say “that guys dead.he’s dead. She’s dead” he doesn’t have too many people left from the good ol days, besides memories. the point I’m trying to make I guess is if your grandparents are still around, go spend time with them. You never know when it’ll be too late. As for me, we will start planning some steak dinners and Netflix movie night regularly. Who knows when the last time I’ll be able to bullshit with him will be. Love you papaw!

2. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    That's awesome. As I got older I would ask my grandpa 50 questions about every time I saw him. Wish I'd realized earlier how much he loved talking and sharing years of knowledge and old stories.

Remember scouting a "remote", STEEP ridge nobody ever even tried hunting on and finding great deer sign. Told him about it and he said yeah! We used to tend corn on that ridge .........:eek: Talk about feeling like a puss! lol Tough men in that generation.

3. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    He’s not much of a hunter but he’s always been a gun guy, and has a sense of humor. I wish I could look back and see everything he’s learned over the years. Both as a business man and a family man.

4. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Mine wasn't a hunter either. But he was a farmer and thought the more deer we killed the better!

5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Great posts
    Spend time with all your loved ones

6. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    I don’t have any grandparents left. Just parents. I always make a point to call them at the least and try to stop in daily. My dad has been in quarantine and it’s been rough not setting down and drinking coffee with him. Makes you realize what you have.

7. FF/EMT516

FF/EMT516 Spike

Nov 22, 2020
    Blackrock, Ky
    I’m lucky enough to still have my grandparents on my dads side. When I was a kid I would stay at their house almost every Friday night. Then when I got old enough me and my papaw started squirrel hunting together. Fast forward to 3 years ago, he was the best man in my wedding. Now with Covid and not being able to be around him (him and Mamaw already had it once and it almost killed him) it really makes it hard, so I just make it a point to call every day and talk to them for a few minutes. Sorry for the long post, just thought I’d share a bit.

8. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Take advantage as much as you can. For myself I'm the only one left of my family. Wife don't want to hear my stories , I do giggle and smile when I talk to myself . My kids are at that busy time of making a life for them self and my grand kids are to young to be interested. That's why I enjoy checking in here. Its my setting on the bench in front of a country grocery store time.

9. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    My moms dad was a big bird hunter, but I never met him, he was killed when his ship (he was the Capt) was sunk by a German U-boat in world war II. I didn't have anyone to teach me to hunt, and when I turned 11 my Grandmom sold his 2 shotguns cause she didn't think I would hunt. I didn't know it. I started hunting the next year! When I was 16 she gave me the manuals to the guns, she had sold, thought I might like them. Both were Browning BSS side by sides. :(

My dad's dad died when I was 4. He hunted a little bit. I have his bird jacket. Fortunately my step grandmom's family owned a farm and that is where I learned to hunt, work the farm, cattle, build houses and anything else.

My dad's step dad hunted a lot, but he wouldn't ever do anything with me cause I wasn't his blood. I wanted it so bad. I bought my first GSP at 14 and he would walk that thing every chance he got, but he never would take the time to take me hunting or teach me anything. He was a super carpenter but he wouldn't teach me. He and my grandma just used me all summer to mow their lawn and weed the garden. Not saying I didn't learn anything with those chores but no matter how much I asked him to take me hunting he wouldn't. Still makes me sad thinking about it.

10. My grandpa was the greatest.He taught me hunting and a whole more.He is missed every day.One of the best people,I ever knew

11. Brody

Brody 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    Same for me JKat, not a day goes by that I don't think of him.

12. Onthedge

Onthedge Spike

Dec 11, 2020
    South East Ky
    Never new either of mine, my mom's dad got killed in a hunting accident just before I was born, and my dad's, dad died from black lung, when i was 13 months old.
    I do have alot of memories of them tho, through pictures, and stories.

CRFmxracer likes this.
  13. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 10 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    I was lucky enough to be raised by my grate grandparents on my mom's side grate grandpa didn't hurt much any more but taught me more than I could ever post on here, he couldn't keep up with me at 7 years old so to teach me I got 5 410. Shells, if I killed a rabbit or squirrel that would be worth 2 shells back if missed I lost one.. then all rest of men folk all hunted best memories is my first bow little bear 30# ..if anyone still has grandpa you should sit down and ask to hear some stories it'll make your day and there's as well

kyfuzzyface and HuntressOfLight like this.
  14. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    I have previously stated that I really like hearing your stories about your grandfather. My mother was brought up by her great grandparents, as well, affording her the opportunity of handing down many of their interesting stories to me. Unfortunately, I have only one memory of visiting that great grandfather; he was hospitalized not long before passing, and we briefly visited. On the other hand, I possess many great memories of my great grandmother thereafter, being that she lived with us at two different points within my childhood. Thankfully I inherited all photographs and documents belonging to her.

They brought up my mother, because of her parents' rare work and unusual security clearances having kept them away until their retirement; although my grandmother did manage two brief visits that I can recall from before I became five years old. A family meeting was called upon my grandparents' retirement and relocation to Florida, which was the very first time that I met my grandfather. Being older, I recall many things from that extended weekend gathering, as I imagine that each of us do.

Twelve of us quietly sat around the man my grandmother always lovingly referred to as her "greek god", being that she and most women found him to be impressively irresistible. I imagine such was also due to the fact that they spent some time together there, having lived in Italy at various points in time after WWII, which they were both heavily involved in at different places. Whether there or elsewhere, I possess high confidence many "honey pots" tried and failed with my grandfather, due to his training and the fact that he had eyes for no women other than my little spitfire of a grandmother, whom repeatedly claimed to me that she had no idea how she had managed to land him, modestly selling herself extremely short. He had blue eyes while hers were green, and they shared a great love for one another.

He began telling riveting stories of epic battles at one point during all and was interrupted only a few times with brief questions, and then he began relaying a few things about himself having occurred over many years thereafter. One thing in particular caught my attention causing me to finally speak up in accusational inquiry, causing a momentary change within his blue eyes, which to this day I believe that I was the only one to have detected. It was only the slightest of tells, being as smoothly well trained as he was, but I can see it as if it had ocurred only moments ago. I do not believe such would have occurred, if asked by another and that much was due in surprise to my young age and small stature. I had quite directly put him on the spot in a matter of fact manner, and all eagerly awaited his reply as my mother surely cringed, being that she jokingly commented afterwards to ease the moment, before I began gleefully skipping out of the room laughing and claiming to have been correct, even though he had denied it with a simple, "No".

In hindsight, I now realize that such was when he took an extreme interest within me above all other grandchildren, a silent connection of minds having been made, but he never led onto it. Regardless, I possess high confidence he made reference to my grandmother late that evening, after they both retired for sleep, even though she never mentioned such to me. Not many hours before that talk with all of us, she had royally chastised me for having grabbed my cousin's panties and tossing them into the neighbor's tree as a joke, seriously embarrassing my grandmother while utterly amusing my grandfather, being that they caught upon a branch out of reach and simply hung there, blowing withn the warm breeze. I have no idea what ever became of those ugly panties.

My cousins returned up to Yankee land with their parents, but I remained within the South and became very close with my grandparents, visiting for many months each year and returning to Florida to permanently live, myself, within less than one decade. I learned much from each of them and inherited their photographs and documents, as well, which only caused me to have many more questions to answers I shall likely never receive. I wish that I had been afforded opportunity to have them while they were still alive, so that I could have made further inquiries, but I am thankful for what all I did learn and continue to learn to this very day from them.

BuckNest and Trapper Delk like this.
  15. M1J

M1J Fawn

Dec 20, 2020
    West Ky
    My grandad is in his mid 80’s. He left home at 14 and lived homeless. Fought in the Korean War. He owns an excavation company and still works everyday. Hardest working man I have ever known. He can work circles around any young man. Always makes time for family. He’s known to be a hard man to work for. No BS and expects you to work just as hard as he does. I’ll never be half the man he is.