Tikka T3

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by Danno, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Danno

Danno Spike

Oct 20, 2020
    Jefferson county
    I absolutely love my Tikka, i just figured I'd write this cause i have seen people asking what upgrades they should do, or how to get more accurate, and let me tell y'all... when i purchased my 30-06 tikka, i was told that it was sub moa, and if i got the super special camo stock it would be sub sub moa, now the nice fella behind the counter also told me that if i bought the matching gun case, scope, and sling i would shoot the balls off a house fly at 10,000 yards..... needless to say i have a real needle driver...i mean i wouldn't know though, it sits in the safe nice and protected. But boy oh boy that thing will out perform anything. :)

CRFmxracer likes this.
  2. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I believe you. Shouldve gone with .270 though. My t3 lite will shoot circles around your outdated grandpa round

Junglekat and Danno like this.
  3. Danno

Danno Spike

Oct 20, 2020
    Jefferson county
    Lol... the simple fact that you shot yours to confirm that it would shoot circles around my grandpa round just proves that you now have wear on your barrel that mine simply doesn't, so again grandpa round for the win

CRFmxracer likes this.
  4. Rossi

Rossi 6 pointer

Oct 19, 2009
    Montgomery Co. , KY
    Take it easy on the 06 boy's its tried and true it was good enough for your grand dad across the pond its good enough for you .

mwezell, PUBLIC RAT and Drahts like this.
  5. Danno

Danno Spike

Oct 20, 2020
    Jefferson county
    Oh make no mistake i love the 06.... that's why i bought it over the 7mm. 7mm is nice, but every time i say something in millimeter i feel like i should be wearing a monocle sipping tea, or turning wrenches under a Toyota hood.

Carl and Munson like this.
  6. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I’m just kidding. 30-06 is probably the most proven and well rounded caliber of all time

Carl and Danno like this.
  7. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    So what your really saying is that the 30-06 is more accurate? Your 270's shot group would be around the outside of the 30-06 shot group?

All kidding aside, son just got a Tikka T3 in 223. We mounted a SWFA 3-9 mil reticle and that thing shoots. I ran a bore scope through the barrel and that is the smoothest bore, sharpest rifling I have seen. No machine marks, no chatter marks, no tool marks. Throat is nice and clean. I am very impressed. If I was in the market, I would be looking hard at Tikka. I am still developing loads for that rifle, but we were shooting under moa out to 300 yards with the initial loads I made up. This weekend, we will be fine tuning the loads and confirming drops. We are currently shooting 77 grain sierra match kings at 2870 fps.

Danno and CRFmxracer like this.
  8. Danno

Danno Spike

Oct 20, 2020
    Jefferson county
    Sounds like a great rifle, you and your boy will have loads of fun with that Tikka, truth be told i bought mine by mistake, was looking at a Remington, and the fella took me over to the tikka and i never looked back all kidding aside i wouldn't hesitate to take a buck at 300 yards with that rifle, it is a beast

9. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    I was at the range one day and another fella had a Tikka in 300 WSM which he had customizes and cut the barrel to 20" Very light rifle, and he let me shoot it. Recoil was really on par with a 308 which surprised me. I passed up on a chance to buy a T3 stainless in 30-06 for $400, big mistake on my part.

10. Danno

Danno Spike

Oct 20, 2020
    Jefferson county
    I'd say so in all honesty the tikka i bought was used, and maybe i mean maybe shot 4 or 5 times, not even a box of ammo through it when i got my hands on it.

11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I know two people that have 6.5 Tikka’s. They love them.

Danno likes this.
  12. raidergson

raidergson 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2010
    Garrard County
    Have 2; a T3 stainless in 243 Win topped with a Leupold VX-3i and a T1x in 22LR. The 243 is one of the most forgiving rifles concerning different loads. Loaded some mild 100g partitions @ 2650fps, 95 NBT’s @ 3000, and Sierra’s 100 range fodder flat base PH’s with the 95NBT’s setup, so bullet depth was different, more compression, and etc. All loads were dead on windage wise, and all MOA accuracy with the mild load achieving .8” 5 shot group @100. All rifle at this point; just shoots amazingly well. The t1x has a bore that is so shiny one would think it was professionally lapped. It will just about shoot MOA with Fed. Auto match, and bottle cap worthy with CCI MM’s @ 50. I can’t wait to find some HV Eley or SK, so I can see what it will really do. It wears a Leupold Freedom rimfire reticle. I have a great REM. 700 DM Stainless/ synthetic.308 and others that shoot really good, but my next will be T3x in .223. They also allow you to adjust the trigger via Allen set screw down to about a pound, but for practicality, I set both of mine to a hair less than 3#s.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  13. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Have you tried this? (3425 fps)
    https://www.targetsportsusa.com/sig...-elite-copper-hunting-e243h1-20-p-110846.aspx

14. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    HUGE mistake. Lol

raidergson likes this.
  15. raidergson

raidergson 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2010
    Garrard County
    No haven’t tried any, or for that manner, any production ammo, only reloads. I haven’t reloaded any of the 80 grain class stuff either. That stuff you are showing is screaming fast, and I can imagine what impact would look like on a steel or tissue....shocking to say at least.

Carl likes this.