Ticks!!!

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by carnivore, Jan 19, 2020.

1. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Its been warm but i did not expect to find ticks on the dogs right now. I have a hard time getting more than the ass end of the tick out. The dead half seems to come out within a week later. These are house dogs by the way. They dont go out much.

2. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I’ve noticed couple flies in the house as well this past week. Haven’t been any all winter.

3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    No surprise. Ants were crawling in February last year. As warm as it’s been this year, probably all sorts of critters crawling.

4. captain71

captain71 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2011
    Western Ky
    I field dressed plenty of deer during gun season over many years and never seen so many ticks on a deer like the buck I field dressed last weekend of gun season he was completely covered with them.

5. The next few morning lows will put a quietus to them for awhile.

JR PORTER likes this.
  6. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I highly doubt that but hope so.
    Gonna take more than a couple days cold.

xbokilla, RLWEBB and drakeshooter like this.
  7. Well it will slow them down for the time being. It doesn’t matter how cold it gets really, a few warm days and they’re right back out in force. Suppose to be right back to above average temps into first part of February and beyond way it’s looking anyway.

xbokilla and OLE RASPY like this.
  8. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    them bug varmints, just sleep like frogs, maybe bears. it would take a lot of freeze, to kill them off.. they get dormant, while its cold, soon as it gets warm a bit, they are back..
    rumor has it, that even Alaska, has a skeeter problem. dont know about the alaska ticks, that far northwest. i will ask.

9. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    i would like to see a picture. how big are the ticks? and do ya know what kind of ticks they are ?

10. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 10 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky

There exist microscopic ticks in Jamaica, and they are referred to as grass lice, even though they are not lice, as we know them here. Horrendous and almost invisible pests. Both pants and boots are soaked in kerosene before walking into the bush, but such isn't really effective.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/how-to-remove-tick-from-dog/

11. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    reminds of picking blackberry's as a kid. i forget if it was kerosene. was at the Grandma's place. ya had to spray your pants, and clothes, before, ya picked, blackberry's. chigger's were bad, if not more..
    the bad thing was, i like blackberry's, just cant stand the seed.. so i quit picking them. the weird thing was,, why do chigger's, hang with blackberry plants?
    best i could come up with;; people like berries, chiggers like people. fruit, of a different nature. So chiggers, hang with blackberries,
    looking for a bite.

12. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 10 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Somewhat similar, but what I mentioned were not chiggers. I am not exactly sure what they were, other than painfully bothersome, especially while stranded atop a mountain for three days, with no food but Johnny cakes and two small cans of sardines, rationed between five humans and two large attack shepherds (pimento berry pickers had already been sent home). My many trellises of blackberries here do not seem to have a chigger problem, but an immense poison ivy problem, instead.

13. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    As long we keep having mild Winters, the insect population will increase.

14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

davers likes this.
  15. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Heck, we killed 2 squash bugs in our house last week. Never seen that before.