Ticks

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Teach Deer, May 2, 2018.

1. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I buy a concentrated bottle of permetherin? At southern states and mix it by the gallon. I add some vanilla flavoring to it for the smell..as its not real odorless. But, i'd rather smell like a funky ice cream cone than have the lil bastages all over me!

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    If I’m not worrying about smell my favorites are Backwoods Cutter and Repel Flea and Tick. I’ve used Cutter a lot during deer season and never had one act like they’ve winded me. Repel is stronger smell but works. I’m convinced one or two ticks are gonna find a way regardless.

3. kraynky

kraynky Spike

Dec 28, 2014
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Same here, but I had no idea why I had full body shakes, teeth chattering chills, and all over pain like a high fever had a'hold of me. The shakes and chills we t away evebtually, but the pains stayed behind. And fatigue that drains your will to do anything. I certainly hope I outgrow it someday, but at nearly 60, I think I'm stuck with whatever them little creeps left behind. Y'all becareful and if they burrow in, be sure you getthe head out, preferrably still attached to its body.
    I hate them almost as bad as snakes. But they go with the territory, and I just become more cautious.

4. bigbill30978

bigbill30978 Spike

May 17, 2013
    Warren Michigan
    Kicked a few leaves around, had over 70 on me, real small ones.

5. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I don’t for the life of me understand why more folks won’t do this. I bought a small pump up sprayer from Lowe’s and will keep it handy to reapply the day before I hunt when necessary. You can buy it at TSC and the savings over the long run is rediculous. One 1 gallon mix lasted me all of turkey season with some left over and I treated my kids and my clothes: hats, gloves, mask, pants, shirt and boots several times not to mention my chair backpack and vest. It’s hard for me to believe but I never saw a tick besides the ones my buddy was pulling off of him on the way home and he sprayed down with deet.