Ticks

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by LoneArrow, Jul 9, 2017.

1. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    The ticks are crazy this year. Anyone else see a massive increase? I went scouting a couple weeks back and found over 40 on me.

davers likes this.
  2. 93chromedaytona

93chromedaytona Spike

Nov 20, 2014
    We started finding them early and lots of them. Have been finding a ton on the outside cats.

3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Clothing treated once with permethrin will keep you tick and chigger free all season long.

4. Huntertyler

Huntertyler Spike

Nov 3, 2014
    Madison county
    Never been so covered up. Every time I walk on the farm I get covered with these little pin head sized ticks no matter what I spray.

5. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Be careful about ticks. Our vet has tested several dogs positive for Lyme this year in Scott county. I didn't even know a dog could get it but they can. And if dogs are picking it up I imagine people are too.

Permathrine is a must if your going to be out in the woods right now.

6. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Lyme's Disease isn't the only thing you have to worry about as far as people or pets are concerned; there's about a half dozen other nasty bacteriums that the little rascals carry.

Two years ago one of our best hounds tested positive for Ehrlichia. You got a 50/50 shot that the dog will live or die. If it lives it's highly likely it won't ever get back to 100%. My hound pulled through, but he still isn't back to normal. I'd say he's about at 80% or so. Users Chilly and SDorton also had hounds and tree dogs to get the same thing. I believe both lost dogs from it.

About three years ago I got a tick-borne bacterium and it rocked my world for a year or so - and not in a good way.

Tip:
    Use permethrin on your gear and clothes, tape your boots to your pants, tuck in your shirt, wear a hat, and then shower with Dawn dish soap after you finish outside. If you get a dog covered up in ticks suds him up with Dawn dish soap and make him stand for about 5 minutes suds up and watch the little rascals die. Dawn kills hell out of fleas and ticks.

Doxycycline is the antibiotic I used for myself and my hound when he had it. I keep Doxy on hand in my dog med kit.

7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    They were really bad last year too but seem worse this year. I found a couple on me every time out during turkey season and sprayed every time.

8. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    I bought the 36.8% permethrin and cut it to 1% lots cheaper than sawyers but is oil based, so smells and may stain. I dont care for rootin around clothes. I also found if i treat clothes good with this i need to throw in wash before wearing. This weather i soke my shirts and i got an itchy rash from the permethrin. Not good.

Tombstone Todd, davers and LoneArrow like this.
  9. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    They are horrible in Pendleton county this year.

10. Journette

Journette Fawn

Jul 22, 2016
    Hunted 15 days turkey hunting this year and had two chigger bites and one tick found on hand. I believe in Sawyers Skin and Clothing spray.

11. Docwaters

Docwaters 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2013
    Prospect
    Elimitick clothing is also an option

12. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    The ticks are always bad where I hunt. You will get hundreds on you this time of year if not treated. I made an unplanned stop to check cameras once and I had mowed all the way back but I still hit a few weeds and was covered in seed ticks. I took everything off but my underwear and drove home. Glad I didn't get pulled over. Seems some places are just perfect for ticks.

Tombstone Todd likes this.
  13. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    To tell you the truth, I've haven't seen all that many ticks this Summer. I've only picked two off my pants after being in my woods checking a stand. When I see Deer out in my back field, and when their close enough, I check their ears for excessive tick build-up/coverage, with my binoculars, and they are clean but certain they have a few. Around my area Chiggers are a problem for me.

14. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I love the smell of Deep Woods Off in the morning. It smells like Squirrel Season!:)

15. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

It seems every year there is a "tick" thread about how bad they were yada yada. Probably no more than last year just walked a different part of the woods. Consider many ticks a blessing. They wouldn't exist in area void of prey/host species like deer and squirrels.

The "weird acting deer/EHD" thread will be along any day now.