Tick with wings!!!

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Flap flies! Very weird little creatures. But kind of cool at the same time. Seen them on cranes a lot and owls
Have you ever had one crawling around under your shirt? Supposed to not like humans for hosts but this one seemed to getting comfortable.

CalebConn16

6 pointer
May 27, 2016
Have you ever had one crawling around under your shirt? Supposed to not like humans for hosts but this one seemed to getting comfortable.
They’ll definitely jump on you! Figure it’s about like a flea, don’t necessarily like people but they’ll do in a pinch

KYCanvasback

Spike
Jan 9, 2014
Like riverboss said, grousefly, or that's what i have heard them called. Used to see them occasionally before grouse went extinct in E. KY.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Like riverboss said, grousefly, or that's what i have heard them called. Used to see them occasionally before grouse went extinct in E. KY.
This one came off a turkey, im reading they arent known to carry diseases but im beginning to wonder if that has changed. Their diet appears to be 100% host blood. This one hasn't attached itself (like a tick) and shed its wings yet or i never would have noticed it.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Had to hunt this thread back up. Is this the same critter? Sumbitch bit like a crocodile. I had 2 of em on me after skinning the neighbor's rooster. I'm assuming that's where they came from. Moved just like @carnivore described, like a crab and fast.
PXL_20211211_200204412~2.jpg

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Had to hunt this thread back up. Is this the same critter? Sumbitch bit like a crocodile. I had 2 of em on me after skinning the neighbor's rooster. I'm assuming that's where they came from. Moved just like @carnivore described, like a crab and fast.
View attachment 95228
Yup. The pic i posted was after i roughed him up.

Ironic that you asked to keep them away. Was they tough to kill?

I put them in the same bucket as ticks and skeeters. I haven't mutated into a different species yet but given the current state of the world, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. I’m curious if they are harming turkey/grouse.

***update my skin has been crawling all evening.

Last edited:

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Yup. The pic i posted was after i roughed him up.

Ironic that you asked to keep them away. Was they tough to kill?

I put them in the same bucket as ticks and skeeters. I haven't mutated into a different species yet but given the current state of the world, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. I’m curious if they are harming turkey/grouse.

***update my skin has been crawling all evening.
Yessir. Tough little SOBs and the fastest crawling bug I've ever seen. Bit me under my hat band. He was on my wrist by the time I caught up to him

Last edited:

ribsplitter

Cyber-Hunter
Jan 19, 2004
Greenup, ky, USA.
Those are louse flies, grouse flies, etc. They come off the carcass as it cools and look for a new host. That generally involves crawling out of your game vest and down your neck lol. I have had the little buggers invade my space more times than I would have liked. It can cause you to do a little dance and quick shedding of the old hunting vest.

Latest posts