Tick bite and red meat.

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by bigbonner, Jun 27, 2020.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    "Facts About Drug Allergies

...You can develop a drug allergy at any time. Even a drug you've been taking for years can trigger an allergic reaction..."

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/facts-about-drug-allergies

2. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
  3. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Ticks are nasty critters. I know 3 people with alpha gal. It is a rough disease to have. Lyme disease is a rough one too, but it has been in the area for awhile and doesn't get talked about much. A buddy of mine almost died from it.

Another one I don't hear much about anymore is rocky mountain spotted fever. A guy I went to high school with got it at 18. It disabled him for life.

4. Pirate

Pirate Spike

Aug 11, 2016
    Kinston, NC
    I have the alpha-gal syndrome and have not eaten red meat in many years. It started for me probably 25 years ago. I eventually figured out it was red meat and swore it off. I never knew what caused it until I started reading about alpha-gal in some news articles. My symptoms are not as severe as some - I develop basically a mad itch and some whelping if I get a good dose of it. I can take two benadryl and go to bed and I am usually good to go in the morning. It takes me about 3 hours to develop symptoms and it usually lasts 8-10 hours. I can eat all other types of meat and I am fine, just cannot eat red meat.

To top it off, I got rocky mountain spotted fever a couple of years ago. Just waiting for lyme disease now so I will have the trifecta.

5. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    BigBonner, a friend I used to work with had a friend whose son was sick, after hearing a couple stories over a couple weeks I had her tell her to have him tested. They came back with the same result as your wife, high white blood cell count. She insisted they do more and they wouldn't said they had it under control. Next thing you know kid has double vision and serious stomach issues and all the other lyme sign. She researched it and took him to Connecticut to the Doc that discovered Lymes, and he got him tested (he was seriously positive) and started his treatment. It took over 18 mos back home with the orders to the local hospital coming from the Conn. Doc. One of the best pics I've ever got was a pic of him graduating high school and another of him graduating college! He is well now and engaged! Moral of the story BB don't settle force them to intently look at Tick Borne diseases.

6. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I work with a guy that had it but he has been able to ease back into eating red meat again and seems to be going away.

I've been bitten by more ticks than I can possibly count over the years. I can't believe I haven't caught a few things.

Munson, Nock and drakeshooter like this.
  7. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    This ^^^^^

Brody likes this.
  8. Same but I notice the older I get the worse the red spot, even the bigger ticks. When I was younger it seemed like they didn’t leave the welt from their enzyme as badly as I get nowadays. Sometimes the spot gets a hard knot, stays red and inflamed and itches a month or two.

9. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Just removed an engorged dog tick from my dog, then torched the tick and cleansed my dog's wound. It profusely bled, to the point of requiring pressure. I guess its location on his spine is what made it unnoticeable two days ago during bathing. He's unhappy about all but hopefully did not contract any disease from it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  10. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Ive been saying this for a few years now. Idk what causes it.

drakeshooter likes this.
  11. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I bet I get a hundred or so a year.

drakeshooter and bowhunter269 like this.
  12. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I have had several ticks attached but like you said they seem to make me swell up at the bite site. Last year I had a small tick attached on the back of my shoulder , my wife pulled it off and my back had a big knot swell up. It was there for several weeks before it finally went away.

13. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Same here. When I'm in the woods I spray with permethrin and never get a tick. Unfortunately when I mow, I don't remember to spray. Between mowing along the woods and weedeating, I get 4-5 every time I mow, usually several dug in. First time ever I sprayed the edges with permethrin last weekend. Never sprayed it on anything but my clothes before, but I'm tired of itching !! Like others, I get the red whelps and they seem to last several weeks.

14. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    My wife got the alphagal a couple years ago, at this time of year, we were picking blackberries. She would get physically sick after eating beef, pork, etc.. Chicken, turkey and fish were ok. I started buying all the poultry substitutes for meat she couldn't eat. She would sometimes try the real stuff, especially steak, and get sick. She came out of it after about 6 months. Hope it wanes for yee too.