Tick bite and red meat.

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by bigbonner, Jun 27, 2020.

1. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Metoprolo Tartrates, losartan potassium, hydrochlorothiazide, Amlodipine And she takes a some for sugar and arthritis
    We had the pharmacist take a look through her meds and see if he could find what could cause any problems .He found nothing .
    My wife did take some lamisil a few years ago that caused her to have this same type of swelling and itching.
    We usually eat a little supper between 6pm and 8 pm and she takes her meds ,metoprolol and hydrochlorothiazide and time the reaction starts is around 2am and by 3 am all hell is breaking loose. Her blood pressure goes way up high 220 over 118. I am thinking her bp was high from her allergic reaction. Doctors say it is a allergic reaction and to take benadryl and follow up with family doctor . family doc seems to be guessing by adjusting her meds to control bp. While I think it is the allergic reaction causing the bp to go high. Her heart they say is working fine.

2. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I hate those tiny seed ticks , you know the ones who latch on your private bag and you have your wife help with removal.

3. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324023

4. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    My Youngest son has Alpha Gal and he got it from a Lone Star tick bite about 10 years ago.
    He can NOT eat one bite of Beef. He can eat some pork, and rest of the menu is Chicken only.
    He breaks out in Red Splotches on a few minutes and his throat swells almost together.
    It almost killed him the first time he got a big reaction and was in ICU overnight.
    It's a curse.

5. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    The allergic reactions someone with alpha-gal has to meat can be very severe - in some cases even life threatening - and the reaction may not happen for several hours after consuming meat. If she should have a severe reaction, she would need to immediately be taken to the ER.

Also, please be aware that the allergic reactions are triggered by all mammalian meat....not just red meat.

She should go to a physician and demand a test as soon as possible. Until she is sure that she does not have alpha-gal, it is very risky (the reactions can be life threatening) for her to consume any mammalian meat.

The following link is from CDC and provides some good information....

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/alpha-gal/index.html

bigbonner likes this.
  6. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    My wife has had a couple bad reactions which required a trip to the ER. Once from medicine and once from applying frontline on our dog. Just touching it to her fingers caused a major serious reaction. Hives and couldn’t breathe and spike no. Very scary. Sometimes they can’t tell what people have reactions to as well.

7. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    i had 1 tick get into above the belt line. got it out with tweezers, i may have dropped it on the floor. 40-deet may have took care of it. had a welp, where i pulled it out, seems to the norm, for 2 decades.
    castor oil, kept the swelling down, just a drop or so. on the bite. it was a little tick, just not a seed tick. i used to keep up, on spraying my clothes, during the warm season.

8. Davidlondon4

Davidlondon4 12 pointer

Dec 2, 2004
    Laurel County
    I am familiar with a couple of those. Hydrochlorothiazide is a water pill and I am now on a low dosage of Amlodipine which is for the blood pressure.Not familiar with metoprolo tartrates and losartan potassium.

In dealing with ticks I treat my clothes with Permethrin when I spend a lot of time out in weedy areas hunting or other outside activities. I usually get doxycycline if I get a tick bite that doesnt appear to be going away after a few days.

I agree with others here that your wife should probably be tested for alpha gal if that is possible.

9. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    My best friend has alpha-gal from a tick bite. If he eats, beef, milk ,anything related to beef, he has the same symptoms as your wife. He also cannot eat anything with soy. This is serious. Get her to a good doctor. Chance are, The tick had a white spot on it's back.
    Read about it here;
    https://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/20140813/tick-bites-red-meat-allergy

drakeshooter likes this.
  10. The way I understand it some individuals are predisposed to developing IgE antibodies while others are unaffected.

11. Zeb

Zeb 8 pointer

May 20, 2008
    Goshen, KY
    Lyme disease and ticks in general can cause weird things to happen. I went to upstate New York, finger lake region, with my wife a couple of years ago. She picked up a tick while hiking on our last day there and ended up with Lyme after we got home. Classic bullseye rash and the whole deal. Docs loaded her up on meds for a few weeks and we thought it was over. It wasn't. Months later, she started having rashes, stomach issues and fatigue seemingly out of the blue. It would come and go but reached a breaking point while she was in Florida visiting her relatives and ended up in the hospital. Her white blood count skyrocketed and she was on the verge of sepsis. It went bad quickly and we were seriously concerned about organ shutdown. Very scary stuff. We eventually started logging her diet and tried to keep track of any unusual exposure. Turns out she developed something similar to a severe gluten allergy. She can no longer have ANY gluten without getting sick. This includes most beer.

I agree with the others, stick with it until you figure it out. Even though the reactions are bad now, the cumulative effect could be much worse. My wife is stubborn, made excuses and ignored the "minor" attacks but the hospitalization got her attention. It could have killed her. Good luck and keep on her to find a reason

12. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
  13. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Me too.
    TickGif.gif

bigbonner likes this.
  14. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    They drew blood on her second trip to the emergency room and they said the test came back good but white cell count was high.
    She has another doctors appointment in a week or so . I will discuss testing for alpha and if I have to take her back to the ER I will ask them to test .
    This is all really great info . it may turn out that she has it or may not have it but if someone is having these same symptoms this may help them by getting tested for alpha.

15. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky

"...Allergic reactions to metoprolol are rare but can occur. Signs of a serious allergic reaction should be treated as a medical emergency. They include:

• Skin rash – for example itchy, red, or swollen skin
    • Wheezing
    • Tightness in the chest or throat
    • Trouble breathing or talking
    • Swollen mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat"

https://www.mytherapyapp.com/medications/metoprolol

I was told over ten years ago this drug is bad news, even though commonly prescribed to people. I immediately pulled my grandmother off of it, switching to another. I do not know when the black box warning was assigned to it.