Tick bite and red meat.

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by bigbonner, Jun 27, 2020.

1. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    OK , now this spring I have really had my hands full.
    Does anyone on here have alpha-gal from a tick bite?
    Recently my wife has been fighting extremely high blood pressure and some meds was doubled.
    I had to take her to the emergency room three times in the middle of the night. She would break out in hives with itching so bad she could not stand it. Her lips would swell up like she was hit hard in her mouth with swelling all over her face. There would be knots and whelps on her that looked like she had been bitten by a five pound mosquito.

We asked doctors and they said that it is from a allergic reaction to meds , BUT these are the same meds she has taken for years but is now taking more of them.
    About a month ago she had a tick on her front upper part of her leg.
    I have been thinking about what can be causing this severe allergic reaction and we are leaning to red neat. That is our opinion and not the doctors. She has eaten chicken for the last few days and she seem to have cleared up to normal.

Anyone else had this and what symptoms did you have?

2. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    My wife had same issues for several years not knowing what was wrong. Couple trips to er because of it. Trips to heart doc. Heart doc even ran a scope into her heart trying to figure out what was wrong. Finally one doc had her tested for alpha-gal. That was problem. Just FYI it’s not just red meat it’s anything associated with them. Like milk, ice cream, coffee creamer. Dairy products are included. It’s best to get tested so she knows her levels. My wife’s dairy levels are somewhat better so she can do limited dairy but still meats are a no no.

3. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I know four people with it. She needs to get checked for it. I feel like it’s a matter of time before I get it.

4. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    One of my worst fears is getting that crap.
    Wishing yall the best BB

riverboss likes this.
  5. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Scares the hell out of me! Hope you get it figured out.

6. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Thanks for all the info . I may give her a little test by cooking some ribeye steaks and see what happens. I told my wife I would test her with a hamburger but she said NO, if I am going to try eating meat , I want to remember it being something good like a ribeye. I told her OK . she might have to take benadryl to get through the allergic reaction but at least we would confirm if it is red meat or not red meat that is causing her to swell up and itch all over. It may or may not be alpha but we can not figure this out.
    Yesterday evening she eat a little ice cream and she got sick in her stomach but no rash.
    She does not go in the woods but one tick has made it in by me or my dog . it was a tiny tick and only one. I have had ticks stuck to me several time and I guess I am just lucky this hasn't happened to meb

7. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    The poor dear, hopefully she soon feels better. I had a tick bite close to one month ago, but it was a very small tick, too small for me to properly identify, and I quickly removed it. It bothered me for maybe five days, but nothing profound and the bite mark quickly vanished. Moreover, just within the past week, I have what seems like very tiny, itchy bites, only on my arms chest and tummy. I also have come into contact with poison ivy, but can easily tell a difference in both rashes. I have been paranoid that they were mites, from those gray catbirds and maybe a Starlings nest, but I have not seen any of them. I did not think to associate these with that one tick bite, until reading this thread. One of my dogs had a tick bite last week. My dogs have been itching too of late, even though they are current with their Advantix II. I am in the process of serious disinfecting the house and property, just in case, but I am clueless as to the cause. They are barely noticeable, so small, but they itch enough that I have been treating them with the triamcinolone acetone cream. The pain they produce is nowhere near as bothersome in comparison to the poison ivy, though, just very strange.

8. Davidlondon4

Davidlondon4 12 pointer

Dec 2, 2004
    Laurel County
    What blood pressure medicine is she taking? I took enalapril for years and had occasional bouts with swelling of one or both of my lips. Occasionally I would get slight swelling of parts of my face and hands but not at the same time. My woman works in a pharmacy and a customer came in to change his meds. Turns out he had been on the same med as I had for years and the same dosage. He had also been having similar swelling issues. His dr changed his meds. I switched my blood pressure med to something else 4 or 5 months ago and so far no more issues. My problem may still be something else but if it happens again I will at least have eliminated the enalapril as being the culprit. Just because you have taken a med for years doesnt mean you might not ever get a reaction to it. Enalapril is known for causing swelling and sometimes a rash.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  9. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Drugs.com is the website many pharmacists utilize, themselves. It is always possible that your wife is experiencing a drug contraindication of some type (there are different types). Perhaps consult with her pharmacist, being sure to mention any/all OTC, to include vitamins, herbs, etc. You can cross-check the information in which you receive with other pharmacists, as well, which isn't a bad idea these days. Additionally, an allergist could be consulted.

https://www.drugs.com/article/preventing-drug-interactions.html

10. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I would take her to a doctor where they can test her for it to be positive. I wouldn’t test her by feeding her a steak. Reactions can take hours to show up too. It’s not always an instant thing like some allergies. My wife had same issue with ice cream. Ice cream has ingredients that come from a cow. That will cause issues too. I’m not a doctor but I’d bet your wife has it

11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Types of contraindication:

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002314.htm

You seem to frequently be outside, like myself. One thing you can do is condition yourself not to enter the house in your work clothes, stripping down butt naked in the garage (will give you more of an excuse to prance around with a fig leaf in front of your wife, lol ;):D). If you are backed-up on laundry, simply place your clothes into a large hefty leaf bag within the garage, tightly sealing it until you can get to them. Keep a spray bottle of bleach water (1 part bleach to 9 part water) where you strip, immediately spraying down the area before entering the house and then go directly to the shower. If you can rig a hot water outdoor shower (it's easy, we do it on the beach all the time, instead of commingling with you annoying tourists at public showers:p), that is your best option.

12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
  13. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    This scares me as well. I’ve gotten 5 ticks off me this Spring that were embedded good. They love me for some reason.

14. I went out to the woods for about an hour today, and had two blasted Lone Star ticks on me, along with a bunch of very tiny ones. One was biting into me right where I sprayed deet! That allergy would be a rough one to have.
    Hopefully your wife gets better.

15. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Rookie! My wife has taken I know 20 off me and I've taken at least another dozen. I now spray ALL my clothing with Permethrin and all my shoes and hats. This ain't getting me. Or at least I'm gonna do all I can to prevent. Lots of little seed ticks I've pulled off me this year. :( It's just not worth it to not try and prevent it.

Munson, bondhu, drakeshooter and 4 others like this.