Thunder in february ,frost in may

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Dark Cloud, May 8, 2017.

1. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    You ever heard that old saying,well it happened this year.It was thundering on 2/8/17,I wrote frost down for 5/8/17 on the calendar ,we had frost this morning.You think them old fellows new what they were talking about ,from experience,or just a coincidence.

richief likes this.
  2. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    It was in the mid 40 for a low here.

3. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I remember reading some history book ages ago about the Civil War in Kentucky (I can't remember the name of the book). Back around 1862 (or maybe it was 1863) it was a particularly hard year in Kentucky...not just because of the fighting, but apparently there was at least one day of killing frost in every month of growing season. Up thru July and August. So for a people, where I'm sure, the vast majority of people who relied on themselves by farming and raising their own food, I'm sure this was a very lean year for the entire state.

4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    High 30s here in Central Ky this AM but no frost and a quick warm up. This is blackberry winter according to old timers. After about 1st two weeks of May then the the steady heat begins.

5. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    Where I live is down in a low-lying area by a creek. Had a little bit of frost on the windshield yesterday morning when I left for work. No heavy frost and no one else I talked to at work had any. My little whole where I live tends to get a couple degrees colder than other areas around here.

6. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Yep first I ever heard of Blackberry winter and sure enough frost. My Neighbor farmer told me about it, as I mentioned was gonna get plants out we started, told me wait a few more days. The 19 th I think we also had thunder here, be interesting to see what happens.

7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    First cold snap is called sarvis winter,when sarvis trees blooms ,next redbud ,then dogwood and finally blackberry is the last.According to what the old timers use to say.

richief and barney like this.
  8. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    My persimmon trees down by the creek had a little frost bite but the ones on higher ground had no damage. I've seen this several times when temperatures were borderline frost temps.