Thought he was a "Shooter", now not so sure??

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by xilk123, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Mxcmxc

Mxcmxc 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2016
    That's terrible I can't stand no good poaching..

2. DePre

DePre 6 pointer

Sep 8, 2016
    If you get the opportunity while in the stand, what makes a "shooter" is the feeling in your gut. If it's what you want you'll know, if not you'll still be enjoying the view. Good luck with him either way, he's a beautiful deer.

xilk123 likes this.
  3. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    You wouldn't have started this thread if you didn't want someone to talk you out of shooting him.

It looks like the same deer to me too. Based on last year's rack, I'd agree that he's likely 2. I agree that it's hard to fathom because the jump in size is huge. Have any side pictures of his body from this year?

I'd pass him personally to see what happens, but you're not me.

Think of it this way. How many 130-140" deer do you see mounted in people's homes? That's right, a LOT. How many 175" deer do you see? Very few. Are you willing to pass a pretty common wall mount for a 10% opportunity to put a monster up there either next year or the year after that?

1FowlHNTR, Mxcmxc and xilk123 like this.
  4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    If he comes by me he'll definitely be a shooter.

xilk123 likes this.
  5. Mxcmxc

Mxcmxc 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2016
    Very well said. We must think alike.

6. kyduck1

kyduck1 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2012
    Always keep in mind too that you may never see that deer again, especially if you don't have a lot of ground to manage. I have deer I let go every year and never see them again. Obviously though they don't get bigger if they are dead. A decision that you have to make and be comfortable with.
    Another thought too is that maybe that deer was a 3 year old and now a 4 year old this year. The slit in the ear is a very good marker IMO of the same deer. I think a lot of times we get caught up in a deer will look just like this as a ___ year old when in reality, a lot like humans, may go through growth spurts and maturity at different ages. It does seem though that there is a time in "most" bucks life where they undergo a big jump in size then with more age start adding mass and maybe a few extra inches.

7. Tough question,if that is same deer.

xilk123 likes this.
  8. Mob169"

Mob169" 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2010
    Don't shoot him.

9. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    I would like to see more daylight pictures of the deer from last year and/or night pictures this year.

10. elkwhisperer

elkwhisperer Fawn

Nov 26, 2014
    Logan County
    Well first of all, you are asking for an age estimate on this deer but the only pics you post are of his head and not his body. You can not age a deer by his antlers.....doesn't work. Post some good broadside pics of his body preferably from this year and last year and you might find someone who knows what they're talking about to give you an accurate estimate.

11. idahomike

idahomike Spike

Aug 4, 2015
    kentucky
    I would let him walk at least two more years.
    Lucy me and the rest of my deer tracking dogs will be pulling into Kentucky on aug.31 and staying through sept. 8th
    I would wait two more years.
    Lucy and me and the rest of my deer tracking dogs will be into Kentucky aug.31 and staying through sept. 8th.

12. bah1286

bah1286 8 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    It could be the same deer but I wouldn't determine that for certain based off that ear. I have 7 bucks on the walls right now and two have a very similar ear split on the left ear. My dad has two mounted with split right ears and I have pictures of a nice one this year with a split and saw another smaller one with a split. They apparently go fout r the ears when Fighting on our farm. Regardless, looks like a real nice buck that would be hard to pass on.

13. 1FowlHNTR

1FowlHNTR Spike

Jul 29, 2017
    Rowan County
    So why are you gonna shoot him at 3.5 if you've let him walk this long? You can't shoot BIG BUCKS by taking out your good genetics and good bucks that will be GREAT. Full maturity of a bucks antlers happens at 5.5 years of age to 6.5 years of age. After that they go back down. I'm NOT judging you. It's your land, your herd. Since I've been in Texas, I've learned A LOT about herd management that most back home there in Kentucky overlook. Don't worry though, I've had ENOUGH of hunting in 77 degrees the DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS! I'm coming back HOME.

14. idahomike

idahomike Spike

Aug 4, 2015
    kentucky
    One of the guys Lucy and I track for,manages a huge plantation and does a little limited guiding on the side,he doesn't allow any buck taken under 5.5 to 6 yrs old,he consistently takes the biggest bucks in the area.
    Lucy and me and my other deer tracking dogs will be in ky,aug.1 through the 8th,if anyone needs us call. 6302406394.
    I don't charge but donations towards our expense are appreciated but not mandatory

15. racsr

racsr 10 pointer

May 7, 2009
    morgan county ky
    He sure looks like the same deer. It is totally up to you. I know he would most likely get shot anywhere around my area. Good luck. God bless

xilk123 likes this.