Thought he was a "Shooter", now not so sure??

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by xilk123, Aug 17, 2017.

1. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Cameras can screw you up on expectations, but that deer is very cool. Very high character points in my opinion and I'm big on character point. Enjoy the hunt.

2. BucksnBeards3

BucksnBeards3 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2014
    edmonson county
    Definitely could be him the war split it exact same. I need to know the mineral you use haha kidding but the mild winter less stress is a possibility and good mineral and genetics but man that might be the most I've heard or seen of a wild deer putting on one year to next. He had to put on a solid 85-90" inches.

3. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Yea pass that deer, I put that mark in is ear as a yearling and have been feeding him a new corn blend to see his progress. Looks to be working. :D:D:D

xilk123 likes this.
  4. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    $ 74.99 for 50 pound I accept Paypal. :D:D:D

xilk123 likes this.
  5. Zforzachariah

Zforzachariah Spike

Jul 7, 2017
    East BumbleF
    I think he appears to be the same deer. But as mentioned above, trying to determine if he was 2.5 last year or 1.5 is the tougher question. Regardless, he is young and with that amount of potential, if you have the land to let him go (cover, food, and water) I bet he really booms next year with ample food and help. Especially if he is just 2.5 years old, he has the potential to add that much more bone next year

6. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    Seems unlikely to me that it's the same deer. That would be a meteoric jump in one year regardless of age. Ear splits are very common. Went to the taxi yesterday to check on my deer that is in progress. He has 3 bucks on the stands right now and 2 of them have split right ears. The frame shape similarity doesn't mean that much either. The brow tine dissimilarity would be more telling to me than the similarity of the frame. In the end it is your decision on whether or not to shoot the deer. I agree though that he looks pretty young. Good luck with your decision.

7. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    I am not sure it is the same deer. However, if it is and you can let him go another year he obviously grows at a fabulous rate.

8. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    That ear split is very large. I've had hundreds of bucks on camera over the years, and scored hundreds of bucks, an ear split that long, and at the same angle is by no means common.
    I would love to argue it's a different deer, just can't do it.
    I wouldn't tell anyone to shoot or not shoot that buck, but I would love to see what he would do with another year.

xilk123 likes this.
  9. BowHunter20

BowHunter20 6 pointer

Oct 15, 2014
    Ohio
    I think you have a buck that has great potential! Pass or shoot is always up to the hunter, but if you knew he would make it to next year...boy I wonder what he would be then. Good luck, and keep us informed on what happens.

xilk123 likes this.
  10. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    He looks like a shooter to me. I would say he is 3 1/2 at least.

11. xilk123

xilk123 8 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    I never get caught up on age that much anyway, I just put "shooter" in the title to ruffle some feathers mostly lol. I will take a deer if its big enough regardless of age, If i see a spotted fawn with a 180'' rack its going down :D:D. I honestly believe this deer is 2.5 yo, and he is my target buck as of right now.

elkaholic likes this.
  12. Mxcmxc

Mxcmxc 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2016
    I agree.. I think he is 2.5 and he is going to be a giant at 4.5 or 5.5. Not knocking you at all for wanting to shoot him now that's your decision!! Just saying.

13. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Not sure it the same deer either. The cut isn't as long on the young buck and the ear looks a little more rounded. Could be very wrong. Two deer could possibly have two similar cuts I suppose.

14. xilk123

xilk123 8 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    IMO its the winter coat on the pictures from last season that makes it look slightly different. I have multiple pictures of this deer and the split looks exactly the same to me.

15. xilk123

xilk123 8 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    I agree, if hes 2.5 he would be a monster at 4.5+ but the amount of poaching that goes on where I live I cant pass a buck this size. Two separate years the biggest buck I have had on camera has died to poaching. They have been caught poaching and nothing done to them.