This old rifle.....

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Buk Bust'r, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Buk Bust'r

Buk Bust'r 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2005
    Russell Springs, KY
    Years ago, I served with the US Army. While stationed overseas in Germany, I roomed with a guy and we became close friends. I left, came back stateside to Ft Campbell. My old roommate from Germany arrived about a year behind me at Campbell and we reconnected.

His name was Tracy and he was from a small town out in Oregon. He was rarely able to get home for the holidays and I brought him home that first year so he wouldn't spend the holidays by himself. Needless to say, we are lifelong friends. He came home with me to hunt, for the holidays, visit, etc.

After I was discharged, Tracy stayed in, matter of fact, until retirement. However, on one visit, he presented an unfired Centennial Narlin 336 30-30 to my Dad. The lever had been zip-tied to the grip by the original buyer years ago. Dad took out his old Case XX, cut the zip-tie and handed Tracy a single 30-30 cartridge. He told Tracy that he would gave to fire the first round thru her. After some talk, Tracy fired her and handed her to Dad. Dad cleaned her and put her up, never firing her himself.

Fast forward several years, Dad gifted the rifle to me, still only having been fired once. A few years went by and I finally got her out of the safe. My son and I were shooting his rifle and I took the old girl out and shot a few rounds thru her.

A few months back, a close friend and I were talking, I told him I'd like to harvest a deer with it. I checked the irons, she shot true and I was determined to take a deer with her.

Yesterday evening, I sat in my stand on a large ridge for an afternoon hunt. The deer were stirring, saw two small bucks, a button and some does. As I was texting with my buddy, I caught movement on the trail to my right. A wide 8 was slipping thru and I eased the old Marlin up and thumbed the hammer. The rest is history I suppose. I was blessed to harvest a good buck with This Old Rifle

Edit.....working on a different photo hosting service. Pics to follow

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    davers, carnivore, bah1286 and 18 others like this.
  2. bdl605

bdl605 Spike

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    Cool story! Congrats

3. mathewsbowhunter82

mathewsbowhunter82 Fawn

Feb 15, 2007
    Calloway Co
    Awesome story!!! and thank you for your service!..Heck of a buck to break it in with as well!

4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks for sharing the story. Congratulations!

5. turkeyhunter91

turkeyhunter91 10 pointer

Apr 3, 2007
    Congratulations on a great deer.

6. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Congratulations nice story and nice buck thanks for your service to our country

7. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    That's awesome great story and nice deer . Congratulations

8. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    That's awesome, congrats and thanks for sharing.

9. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
  10. HCDH66

HCDH66 6 pointer

Apr 10, 2019
    Hardin County
    That is an awesome, heart-felt story! Thanks for sharing. As most non-hunters will never understand, it is often the back story to a hunt that is more impactful than the actual kill.

Winchester94 likes this.
  11. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
  12. That old marlin,is back when they made guns,they all shot good,enjoy and congrats

13. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Nice story but for some reason photo bucket has blurred the pictures, was really hoping to get a look at that rifle

Nock and muddhunter like this.
  14. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Outstanding!!!