This morning was insane..and a heartbreaker

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Outdoorsman12, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Outdoorsman12

Outdoorsman12 6 pointer

Mar 24, 2018
    Southwest virginia
    Well, Saturday officially sucked. Lol
    Got up at 2am, had coffee and breakfast and left at 3:15.
    Got to my spot and got setup around 5:25.
    So at 6:15 the ridge absolutly starts exploding with more gobbles than I have ever heard in my life.
    Then everything gets quiet...suddenly a ear splitting gobble breaks the silence about 10 yards from me....I'm thinking, "OH S---. He is too close" how the hell did this happen?
    So I sit dead still and quiet afraid to even breath..all the while thinking..
    "This is too easy, "he will fly off the limb into my decoys" and I'll bust his a--"
    Well here is where things go screwy in a weird way..next thing I know 3-4 more fire off directly in front of me about 100 yards away!
    so about 6:35-40 every single one of them including the directly above me, pitch down into that dark deep holler..well then every one of them went graveyard quiet..
    I never heard or seen them from 6:40 till 4:00 pm. So around 7am
    I hear something coming up the deep holler/ ravine..I'll be damned if it wasn't one of the biggest Does I have ever seen..she was huge!
    And so then every hour on the hour... whitetail does were coming up out of that ravine/holler..it never stopped!
    I was shocked to say the least!
    What the hell happened this morning with all those roosted birds? I said before they do some things that make you wanna cuss. Rant rave and pull your hair out all the time thinking to yourself...
    WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED?
    was I mad? hell yes! I'm telling ya, the only reason I didn't cuss them at the top of my lungs and go home was because I figured if I cussed them birds it would probably only make them gobble and make me feel worse..
    Yep...this morning sucked...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  2. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Is this your first season? I ask because I want to help address this properly?

roosted birds are notorious for not pitching straight down. It's a safety issue as they've been screaming in the tree and predators can easily ambush if they flew straight down. Also your decoys are probably unnatural as they're on the ground before any one else has flown down, their plastic turkeys standing motionless, and cannreally throw off birds sometimes. Leave them at home, you don't need them to be honest.

Why are you frustrated? Sounds like fun, it's tough to kill every time you go, and the game is why we do this. The kill is extra, and it's all about the chess match. If you don't like that this isn't the sport for you

mudhole crossing and Southpaw like this.
  3. Outdoorsman12

Outdoorsman12 6 pointer

Mar 24, 2018
    Southwest virginia
    Yeah well I have killed probably over a dozen birds in my life..some years I won the chessmatch hands down...
    some years I couldn't.move my.chess pieces at all..

4. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    That sounds like a great morning to me, I can barely remember the days of multiple birds gobbling

baknblack likes this.
  5. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Haha, that goes for all of us. Bottom line is turkeys are bizarre creatures and trying to understand why they do things only makes us crazy. Keep after them and you'll find one who will play your game

dirtstalker likes this.
  6. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Exactly. If I killed every trip it would be called shooting

7. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    As long as you got some excitement out if it thats all that matters. If i were you i would be setting in that bottom a hr before daylight in the morning. An i wouldnt make a peep untill after fly down if i called at all. An just hope they fly down to the same spot.

Nock and littlebear like this.
  8. Outdoorsman12

Outdoorsman12 6 pointer

Mar 24, 2018
    Southwest virginia
    It was cool, that's for sure..

9. Outdoorsman12

Outdoorsman12 6 pointer

Mar 24, 2018
    Southwest virginia
    No can do.... PRIVATE PROPERTY
    the holler is off limits, I just found out earlier..and anyways..it's like a 150 feet down...it was hard enough getting to the bottom when it was daytime..
    Without breaking every bone in my body

10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Just turkey hunting ....which those type of things and screw-up’s are life lessons.

I was walking up a ridge on an old logging road once at our farm and a bird hammered off right on top. I began looking for a place to set-up... looked and maybe 20 yds was a pretty open spot with this big oak that would break my silhouette. So I slip over... back to a tree .. facing where I heard him gobble.

I let off a few yelps ... he answered... I though all was good. Few minutes went by and I hear.... varooom...varoom...back on the logging road. Freakin bird was behind me strutting & drumming..... and I’m backed up to this big old oak and can’t turn around..nor even shoot just too much salad between me & him. So... just set there and in a few minutes he was gone and never heard a peep out of him.

Moral of the story... crap happens.

xbokilla and mudhole crossing like this.
  11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I was headed to the house this morning around the pasture field. One gobbled up in the woods. He gobbled 4 or 5 times as I crossed the fence an hurried to set up. I Yelp abou 3 time an he gobbled. Raked leaves an he gobbled. I hear drumming an he gobbled close. I see his head but can't shoot for bushes. Instead of coming like he was he moved to the right an stuck his head out from behind a tree. I shoot an turkey flys off.
    I knew exactly what I had done. Raised my head an pulled my shot high. Talk about being pissed off. Just too overconfident. That is turkey hunting.

xbokilla likes this.
  12. Outdoorsman12

Outdoorsman12 6 pointer

Mar 24, 2018
    Southwest virginia
    So true..gobblers act wierd

13. Outdoorsman12

Outdoorsman12 6 pointer

Mar 24, 2018
    Southwest virginia
    Well it's understandable..yes things happen..And yes its all part of the game..I let the birds get under my skin...I shouldn't let that happen

14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Naah... not the gobblers acting weird.... that part is on us thinking we have wild critters figured out.

dirtstalker likes this.
  15. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Probably Jakes I wouldn't hunt there anymore:D