This isn't the first time.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by reivertom, Mar 19, 2020.

1. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    In 1918 the "Spanish Flu" as it was called swept across the World killing 50,000,000 people. In the USA it eventually killed 675,000 out of a total population of 113,200,000. (equal to 2,025,000 for today's population) My Dad's parents were dating and lived in 2 separate small mountain towns in Southern Kentucky (Pineville and Barbourville) that were about 17 miles apart. There was a quarantine so tight that people could not leave their town city limits. The Mail Carriers would meet in the middle and one would lay down a sack of mail, take one, and move way, and the other would come an do the same. Never being close to each other. In those days in the mountains phones weren't everywhere and were expensive. My future grandparents would go days or even a week without knowing the other one was sick or healthy. There were people in every other house either deathly ill or having died from the flu. My Grandfather was an old time Druggist, and they wouldn't draft him into the army because of the Pandemic. He was in the one of the dangerous age groups and was near sick people every day in the drugstore. His mother, my Great Grandmother was a midwife and a herb doctor. She went around helping people too sick to help themselves and never once even got a sniffle. After it was all over, My Grandparents didn't waste any time getting hitched! It could be much worse people!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Nock and Dark Cloud like this.
  2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Thanks for sharing. Yes it seems the Spanish Flu was way worse given the time. Little communication, wiped out entire families and some didn’t even know what made them sick. I can’t see this killing 675000 Americans. However, our population is so much bigger it’s hard to say. The scary thing is that when they thought the Spanish Flu was under control and on the decline it took a “break” for a few months and came back with vengeance. Let’s just hope that doesn’t happen!

3. Buzz151

Buzz151 Spike

Nov 26, 2014
    I believe this one is going to be similar in that it will be in the history books (or web pages...) and our grandkids will be telling stories about how it was.

Ataulbe1, Nock and JR in KY like this.
  4. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Maybe so but so far...it is not nearly as deadly. Spainish Flu was about like the Black Plague.

5. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Watched this on u tube very bad time 0BB61684-3F12-4F48-8F00-36539B962D3E.jpeg

barney likes this.
  6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I don’t even think it’s fair to compare this to Spanish Flu. It’s just something we haven’t really dealt with. Spanish Flu killed more people than the Great War and world wide could have killed as many as 100 million. Think about the times. Given how much our population has grown combined with modern medicine, technology, ease of travel, etc...even if 675000 were to die in
    US (not gonna happen) I still wouldn’t say it’s worse. Hard living back then compared to now.

00noturkey and KYote-Krusher like this.
  7. Spanish flu killed my great grandfather.

8. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    When the Spanish Flu broke out in 1918, my Grandmother didn't catch it but several members of her family did.

9. I’m still waiting on a good answer to what the difference is between say h1n1 in 2009 and this Kung flu in 2020, as far as our response. 12,400+ died for h1n1 yet we never missed a meeting. What is the number of dead cutoff point between going on about our lives or driving the bus off the proverbial cliff to save mankind? Anybody?

EC, Nock, ptbrauch and 3 others like this.
  10. Good read on the subject. My apologies if it’s already been linked elsewhere but there are 50 threads on the same subject.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17...e-are-making-decisions-without-reliable-data/

11. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    My Dad was 7 years old when the Spanish Flu struck, he had 2 older brothers and 1 younger sister and they lived in the downtown area of Kansas City, Missouri. His little sister died from it but nobody else even got the sniffles. He told me the same thing happened all around them; it was a very selective disease, if you got it ... you were in big trouble.

Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  12. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    The thing driving a lot of this is the incredible ease of transmission (at least twice that of regular annual flu), and the worry it will mutate quickly like the SARS virus did. If that happened with this transmission rate, it would definitely rival the 1918 pandemic. Another thing is, there is no doubt in many people's minds it was a man-cultivated virus from China that probably accidentally escaped the Wuhan laboratory. Does it even behave like a naturally mutated virus? We don't know this time. Right now, it's not a big deal, but will it change quickly? The unknown is scary and some very smart people are scared.

13. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Here’s a little write up about it ,I seen on another forum 44B5B62E-7ACD-4ABD-A875-D7DD6835C6CF.jpeg

14. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

You won't get one,.....and the more tests they'll do the more cases they will find. That sounds worse,...but what it really means for those of us us that don't take our shoes off to do math is that the bottom will fall out of the mortality rate % ,..........which means it is less deadly,..not more. It's a $%*! hoax,....now we have to add flue season to the calendar for possible school closings and seeing the milk and bread aisle wiped out.

,.........you want to see something that matters to kids,.........google up some RSV info.......and yet no pandemic when it's hot :rolleyes:

drakeshooter likes this.
  15. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    My wife read this post the other night,.....whoever wrote it should get their facts right. The black plague was carried by fleas.......apparently mostly in rats but whatever host they were riding on. Social distancing would have perhaps done some good but really it had nothing to do with it,.......if they had taken a bath more than once a year back then it would have helped.

00noturkey, Dark Cloud and JR in KY like this.