This is gonna hurt some Louisville folks

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by wprebeck, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Good to know. You hunt any of that area, Rob?

2. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    No. I’m way down river from there.

Marsh CallUser likes this.
  3. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    A lot. From the Oldham County line, all the way to the dam. Six Mile Island is a popular place to bang out some birds, and it's a contest to get from the ramp out to there. The river is closed from Twelve Mile on in, which is well past Six Mile.

It'll be a nice refuge, if birds get pished down before the river gets reopened.

4. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
  5. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Them mallards used to like six mile island back in my younger days. Bet they still do. To this day, I miss the fist fights on that upwind point. We concerned ourselves more with who would win the fight than what kinda spread we was gonna run, back then

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

But so is Oil also that comes from the ground. And coal is nothing but solidified oil. Looks like it may be a big mess.

7. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    Yea I don’t think oil and coal are comparable that way but then again I swat ducks and was raised wrong.

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

So you teach all the dog's you work with to call ducks for you then shoot them on the water once they land. Makes me wonder why you even hunt. :confused: Just teach the dog's to shoot and you can stay home and wait until they bring you one... :D

9. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    Better yet why don’t I just pay a guide to kill them all and then bring them to my house.also I think you put this on the wrong thread.

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  10. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

You started it with the water swat comment.

11. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    This made me chuckle.

12. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    Those barges have most certainly spilled coal. Not sure the count but several have sunk. I can’t imagine it’s good for the environment in any way.

13. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
  14. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    Noticed several trailers at Cox's today, guess hunters getting antsy. Also they have a large barge blocking river traffic from 6 Mile Island to Ky bank

15. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    If anyone is following this thread, here's an update:

Saw a couple of guys on the river hunting yesterday, as we did some scouting after our hunt. The ramp at Cox's Park doesn't look usable, and the boat I saw was headed in to Duffy's, across the river.

That got me wondering about the river still being closed, so I emailed a buddy on LMPD River Patrol. I figure they would know, right?

Got a reply back stating that it's closed to commercial traffic at night, but is open during the day. Works for me, but it's gotta go way down before I'd think anything would wanna hang out on the river. Around here, it's way up and moving fast. Lots of docile backwater for any birds that are even around...doesn't seem real likely that they'd be in such fast moving water.

But, I've been wrong before....