Thinking of trying reloading

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by RLWEBB, Dec 23, 2019.

1. JGD

JGD Spike

Feb 3, 2008
    Nelson County
    Go slowly and learn as much as you can before committing much money. Buy used stuff(Accurate Shooters has a great classified) if you want to save some bucks. Ask plenty of questions as there is a lot of good help out there. Also watch some videos. GDS is spot on. You have to decide which direction your going to go.
    Been reloading for 40+ years and my program has evolved.

John

2. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Natchez has a sale on reloading equipment going on today!

3. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    RLWebb you are bout 55 minutes ish from me, if you want to try some reloading first to see what it involves, you are more than welcome to hook up with me and do some here. I have 300 dies and I think I have 308 dies also so you can start there. That way you can see what you need and don't need and decide how you want to go from there. I've been reloading since the mid 70's.

4. Born to Hunt

Born to Hunt 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2005
    Edmonton, KY
    Some great advice above. If I had it to do over and know what I know now, I would not purchase a kit. There is no way for one to know what will be required to satisfy one's needs. If you just want to load hunting or plinking ammo, a kit and the basics is fine. If the bug bites you (you want to shoot tiny 5 shot groups), you're going to want a better sclae than the one that comes with any kit. We all have our preferences and it really isn't that one is that much better than the other, but after you get into it, you will find some things more cumbersome than others. You can be so meticulous that you want every round as close to the same or you can just load and shoot. To create the most consistent ammo, you will need some equipment upgrades over any kit I've seen- not saying it doesn't exist- I just haven't seen it.

For example- I purchased an RCBS Rock Chucker kit when I started. It has served me well and there is nothing wrong with it. However, I want to have a better powder scale- I definitely want better case prep tools.

Lastly- I started with all RCBS equipment and again- nothing wrong with it. I had a custom rifle built and the smith recommended a set of Redding Competition dies. I had never had any desire to spend the extra funds for Redding Dies- until I used a set of dies with the competition seating die....I am currently in the process of liquidating my RCBS dies in exchange for Redding dies. In my opinion- they really are that much better and definitely easier for me to use and to set up.

5. Born to Hunt

Born to Hunt 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2005
    Edmonton, KY
    Oh just one more thing- I agree with everyone who has suggested getting a friend to help you get started. The friend who helped me gave me some great advice- He told me to get a custom rifle built. I said it is too expensive. His reply was, "If you are trying to chase tight groups and you want a sub-moa gun at 5 or 600 yards, one day you will have ten factory rifles in that safe and none of them will be capable of what you're chasing. You'll add up all the money you've spent to buy 10 factory rifles and realize you have spent more money than a good custom and high quality scope would have cost in the first place." He was sooo right lol.

I have nothing against factory rifles and own many. Once in a blue moon, you'll find a factory that is a shooter. Now when I say shooter, I don't mean you have to have a 1/2 MOA 1,000 yard gun to have fun, shoot game, and load for. If your desire is only to hunt- no need for a custom, but if you want to have the most accurate rifle you can lay in your hands and load the best ammo you can and see the results on the range, there is nothing like a custom. We have a smith right here on these boards who is an accomplished bench rest shooter and I will personally vouch for his rifles. He built me an absolute shooter. I handload because I want the most accuracy I can get- I know it isn't always necessary to take game, but I wanted to be able to shoot long range and increase both my own and my rifle's capabilities.

I started messing with 6-700 yard shots at the range and some buddies and myself put up some steel plate targets. I'm telling ya, dialing a scope and learning to dope the wind and ringing a 5" metal plate at 700 yards 10/10 times is addicting! Good shooting and best of luck!

JR in KY, hotdog and 1wildcatfan like this.