Thinking of getting into trapping...

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by FranciscoJ, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Stevens methods of trap prep , snares and supports ect ect are flawless. You can take anything that fellar has posted and deposit it in the bank. Everybody in brecken ridge can find him cause they follow the blood trail down the blacktop lmbo!

2. MikeKy

MikeKy 10 pointer

Feb 17, 2008
    Have you got any obvious game trails? Good spots for snares if you have any. You might want snares with deer stops or breakaway locks if all the critters are using the same trails. If you can check your sets in 5 minutes, just how much ground are we talking about?

3. TexnKy

TexnKy 6 pointer

Jun 28, 2013
    Metcalfe Co
    I'd also look into a few dog proof traps if you know you have some coons. - Easy to set , just throw a marshmallow on the trigger or a honey bun and some fish oil and you'll haul them in. Google/ YouTube dog proof traps or DPs, and you can see how they work. I run Dukes and Z Traps, but I'm sure you'll have others on here that like coon cuffs, freedom brand, etc. Another option to check out...

4. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    I am starting very small. Fact is I may not end up liking trapping after I get into it. I am focusing on the bottom portion of my property, and neighbors. Not big at all, but frequented by raccoons and coyotes all the time.

5. _fletch_

_fletch_ 10 pointer

Jul 27, 2006
    Daviess Co. KY
    Of course I don't know you, but I'd be very surprised if you don't get hooked once you try it. This will be my third season. I started off with two 1.5's and three #2 duke coil springs, and I mainly just really wanted to trap a coyote. I'm a slow learner, lol, but 27 coyotes later, I now have 6 dozen coyote/cat traps, and 3 dozen coon dp's. And have spent countless hours making trap stuff, gathering dirt, prepping or modifying traps, researching, etc. It's like Christmas every morning on the trap line... very challenging and maybe a bit frustrating at times, but extremely rewarding. When you start getting more consistent on your catches, instead of just catching them by accident, the fire only burns hotter. But as others have said, it is very, very time demanding. You don't have to choose to get up on that cold, miserable morning to deer hunt when the wind chill is in the negatives.... but you still gotta check those traps. Good luck and I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to your catch pics.

6. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    I plan to research traps, but if it's not asking too much, can you give me some details (photos if possible) of the traps mentioned that you use?

7. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    From what I gather, this is a standard style trap...correct? I am trying to sift through / find out what size to use. Didn't realize the variety...

trap.jpg

8. TexnKy

TexnKy 6 pointer

Jun 28, 2013
    Metcalfe Co
    That looks like a basic Victor brand, "foot hold" trap.

Guys correct me if I'm wrong, but a 1.5 would be good for coon.

1.75 are good for coyotes, cats, fox

#2 are the most popular for yotes/ cats because they are as big as you can get for land traps without going over the regulations set by Dept of Wildlife. #2 is a bit big for coon though because of possibilities with chewing.

Again I'm new so these guys can chime in better or with more experience. I've used 1.5s and DPs for coon, #2 for coyotes, fox and cats, and that's worked for me so far.

Just my 2 pennies!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  9. TexnKy

TexnKy 6 pointer

Jun 28, 2013
    Metcalfe Co
    [​IMG]

Basic Duke Dog Proof Trap-

Trigger is inside the hole, they reach in to grab the food, and trip the trap. They will e sitting there waiting for ya.

[​IMG]

10. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    If your wanting a dozen foothold traps i would buy a dozen mb550s. Heres why
    1.... Its close to season and you dont know what your doing when it comes to trap prep. Like night latching and leveling pans etc
    2 .... The mbs need nothing. Just boil them clean and wax. The only thing you need to do is add a double stake swivel.
    3. They will hold cats foxes coons and the nastiest coyote in the woods.
    4 .. Resale value on these traps are exceptional if you decide its not for you. Hope this helps[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    Does anyone have some traps I can buy to stsrt with?

12. buckson

buckson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    kentucky
    go to trapperman go to trap shed plenty used traps there for sale check it out.

13. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    Registered an am awaiting approval. I can't wait! I gotta admit, I am a huge tech-guy. However "basic" trapping seems, it is actually VERY complex. Or at the least, as complex as you wanna make it. The types of traps, coupled with techniques available...endless combinations. Hell, seems like trapping is 99% finding out what DOESN'T work, and 1% on what does...lol

14. MikeKy

MikeKy 10 pointer

Feb 17, 2008
    It's worse than that. What works great for some folks won't work at all for others. What works good for me on some of the places I trap won't catch squat on some others. I've got beavers on one place that are scared to death of castor. Smear a little castor around and they go in their dens for a couple of weeks.

15. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Why don't you find a trapper an let him trap your property. You can go with him an learn the basics an see if it is something that you want to invest in