Thinking bout getting a dog

Lost_in_the_woods

6 pointer
Nov 15, 2008
graves county
I have been considering gettin a dog. Been seein a lot of free lab mix pups recently. Looking for any advice on training one since I am sure I don't have the cash to pay to get one trained

FOWLER2671

12 pointer
Sep 11, 2009
Evicted from Aintry'
Basic discipline is the foundation. Sit, stay, come, down and heel. If they are good at that; it makes all the rest easier.

There are lots of good videos and books to guide you. Take a feather and a sock to throw for the pups to see which ones are birdy.

BurleyDog

10 pointer
Jul 4, 2007
Do it.

Train him to be your buddy. He'll spend 99.9% of his life being your buddy and .01% hunting.

Inside dogs have better lives IMO

Lost_in_the_woods

6 pointer
Nov 15, 2008
graves county
Yup I am not sure if I will manage to have an inside dog but I may try it. My girlfriend is movin in soon with hers and I am not sure how 2 dogs in the house will go but hoping fairly decent. If not I have had many outside dogs and know how to make em fairly comfortable. Just hoping i don't get another gun shy one

olducker

8 pointer
Aug 14, 2009
Chandler IN
Yup I am not sure if I will manage to have an inside dog but I may try it. My girlfriend is movin in soon with hers and I am not sure how 2 dogs in the house will go but hoping fairly decent. If not I have had many outside dogs and know how to make em fairly comfortable. Just hoping i don't get another gun shy one

They learn to get along eH...
ry%3D400

Lost_in_the_woods

6 pointer
Nov 15, 2008
graves county
Now its just a matter of deciding what I want. I am debating a lab/heeler mix or there is also a listing for a lab/husky mix. Thinkin tho that a lab/heeler mix might turn out a pretty decent hunting partner

olducker

8 pointer
Aug 14, 2009
Chandler IN
he's not full lab but hope he turns out to be a good dog. Lab/heeler mix View attachment 17719

OFF AOL...:Lab/heeler mix....YOU MAY BE OK

she needs a good 30-40 min walk or leash free romp every day and is finally sleeping in on weekends. she is aMAZINGLY smart and sweet, loves grown ups and kids and other dogs alike. we've taken her to dog parks since she got her final booster shots and she's incredibly well socialized. she was a cinch to houstrain (which I think is a trait of the cave-liking heelers) and only went to the bathroom in the house if we weren't paying attention to her needs.

at 6 months we started her in a positive reinforcement basic obedience class, and were told that results would be slower to see but more effective in the long run and i'm so grateful we tried it. our puppy (even with all her crazy energy) is remarkably well behaved and we're learning how to cope in extremely distracting situations.

basically... my lab/heeler mix is MORE hyper than a lab, and chews a ton more than a lab would alone. but I swear her smartness (she learns a new trick within an hour - she was doing "shake" at 10 weeks) is worth it. I can tell that the hyperness is mellowing with age (thank goodness shes PART lab) as long as we keep up the exercise. she's got the webbed feet of a lab and loves to water retrieve which is our favorite form of excersize - one 30 min session and shes out for the rest of the afternoon.

also, bones and organic "bully sticks" (buffalo tendons that have been stretched and dried till their hard) have been a godsend. she gets too territorial over rawhide, but anything thats a long chew (and i'm grateful for 15 min!) is worth it. we crate her during the day (but come home for lunch) and she sleeps next to or on our bed at night (with the door closed - we'd never trust her with the run of the house at this age).

your lab/heeler mix will take a little extra time than a lab but other lab owners will be shaking their heads at your dog's dog's intelligence. it is incredibly fullfilling to have such a smart & sweet little buddy......

Last edited:

teamoutlaw

8 pointer
Sep 20, 2009
i know where some full blooded chocolates are if he still has em. buddy got one saturday. he just didnt wanna mess with selling because they werent even supposed to have pups. he has the dad and mom on site. I hunt with the guy alot and the dad hunts several days a season at reelfoot both good dogs.

Lost_in_the_woods

6 pointer
Nov 15, 2008
graves county
I got this little guy so gonna try with him first. I am hoping I can make him into a good dog. His momma was lab/heeler and the dad is lab so with any luck i got a good one

Latest posts