They are falling!!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by luvtohunt, Sep 12, 2021.

1. mac0492

mac0492 8 pointer

Oct 15, 2013

I had one die earlier this summer. It is probably 4-ft diameter trunk and leafed out fine early spring, but every leaf turned brown and dried up this summer all of a sudden. No signs of any lightening either. Only tree on whole property that has done this. I’m hoping it doesn’t repeat.

hollandhunter likes this.
  2. mac0492

mac0492 8 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    County extension agent told me it was probably from drought. To wait and see if it leafs out in spring

Feedman likes this.
  3. James Scott White

James Scott White 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2020
    Rowan County
    Probably know more in another week or so, but acorns seem light this year where I’m at. Wondering if it was from that late hard freeze we got this spring. Food plots will be money this year I bet.

davers likes this.
  4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I agree. It could come back

5. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    We really didn't have that bad of a drought where im at. Plus it seems to be just the oaks its effecting. 2 on my place were 4 or 5 ft wide at the trunk an perfectly healthy for years an years an was fine this spring etc. Then all of a sudden they just died an depleted quickly. One has already hit the ground an a couple more are fixing to next storm we got. All the trees around them are fine. Grass grows fine all around them etc. Maybe drought but I highly dout it. Good article you posted. I would put money on that. Or I have heard others in the past few years speak of a ant thats killing them like I said in other post. I sure wish I knew. I hate to see these trees die like that. Cant even use the wood.

mac0492 likes this.
  6. hondo1892

hondo1892 6 pointer

Dec 20, 2014
    North of Lake Cumberland
    I have plenty of chestnut oaks and never see the deer hitting them. I picked up a bunch one year and put them by my corn feeder and never seen a deer touch them there either. I know they eat acorns but I just have not seen any hit chestnut acorns before. Have seen them on red oak and white oak acorns though.

7. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2013
    Bunch falling in Morgan county. Persimmons too.

8. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Both Oak & Hickory mast have both suffered from a late Spring freeze and this is the fifth year this has happened on my property. My Brother watches the weather very closely, he is convinced it's due to Climate Change. Not sure if I agree with him, but I've never seen anything like a 5-year span where mast was either lacking or in very short supply. If it is Climate Change, then wildlife that depend on a good mast crop in areas where there is no field crops will suffer and decline in population, in years to come.

9. James Scott White

James Scott White 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2020
    Rowan County
    I got plenty of hickory nuts but not seeing the acorns like I did last year. Personally don’t believe in climate change lol. Hope you see a better crop next year… food plots are the way to go in my opinion because they highly influence movement even if there are plenty of acorns and they are the saving grace if there aren’t any.

davers likes this.
  10. Recurve77

Recurve77 10 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    I dare you to eat one of those early dropped persimmons!

Meatstick and Brody like this.
  11. Recurve77

Recurve77 10 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    Red oaks are starting to drop in Jefferson and I have also seen a few chinquapin oak acorns on the ground but mostly hulls from the squirrels eating them.

12. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2013

Ha ha ha. Momma didn’t raise no fool. But I must admit I’ve had a few city slickers try it just for fun :)

Recurve77 likes this.
  13. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I did not see any acorns thursday evening when i took a 4 wheeler ride through the woods

14. keeruss8

keeruss8 6 pointer

Jun 19, 2016
    Marrowbone
    I’ve only found a couple on my place that look to have a decent amount. It is raining paw paw now though