The Ultimate tracking critter

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Duster, Nov 28, 2018.

1. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    P.s. if a dog finds sheds they are invaluable imo. My old dog would recover deer but wouldnt touch a shed if you stuck it in front of him. Drove me nuts.

2. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    She was just checkin for a pulse 20181125_180619.jpg

3. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    My vote is this, OP should take a dog out. Nothing to lose.

4. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    My Aussie found one for us over the weekend and has brought up several sheds/skulls.

kyhunter99 likes this.
  5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I had the dog or many dogs growing up, I found they are like kids, can't leave them alone for very long or have heck to pay. Kinda a cat type person, I can leave out a couple pounds of food, plenty water and a couple clean litter boxes and go away for a week or more and not worry about what the cat is up to. Don't have to pay to board them is a big plus also.

6. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Just get a Teckel. They eat less, are fearless and super trackers.

bondhu likes this.
  7. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Have you ever set around drinking beer with buddies and come up with a hairbrained idea. Well the germans created the boxer, they love beer, even have beer gardens! Nuff said!

8. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

I don't claim to have had special deer dogs, but my sheppard/collie mix, Barney, knew from the start how to track deer. He was wickedly smart, and understood the situation. A few years later, we got a beagle/lab mix named Lily. Lily had a much better nose. Barney taught Lily the "Dead Deer" game, and pretty soon it was Lily's nose and Barney's speed through the woods.

The one thing I found with both dogs was that they were absolutely ravenous on deer carcasses. I had to be careful. The first few times I got a deer and introduced it to Barney, he started attacking the hind flanks as soon as my back was turned. Lily and Barney were both rescue dogs, and had spent time in the wild. I suspect they saw deer as the ultimate buffet.

My point in writing this is I believe it doesn't take that great a nose for a dog to trail deer, especially on a fresh trail. You can probably train a wide range of dogs. The trick is introducing them to what a deer smell like and getting them to understand what you want.

To the OP: You're biting off more than you can chew with Coyotes. They're not dogs. They aren't tamed, and they don't bond with humans. Cross a 'yote with a dog, and you might get what you want, but you might also get a human-wise 'yote with no desire to be tamed. That's what the coydogs are like around us, and those bastids scare me a lot more than 'yotes.

My advice is to get a known tracker (like a beagle) and teach it what you want. There are youtubes out there on how to begin training a deer dog. I don't know how effective they are, but they match my experience with Lily.

kyhunter99 likes this.
  9. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

BTW: Boxers were originally bred as boar dogs. They could latch onto a pig and hold on. A good one may have an excellent nose. My buddy who retired from editing a gun dog magazine said the best bird dog he ever had was a boxer. It's only failing was that it pointed rather oddly: it would look like it was going to take a crap and shake violently.

KYBOY and kyhunter99 like this.
  10. trapper perry

trapper perry 12 pointer

May 10, 2009
    After fooling with coyotes for 30 years I would never try to tame one.I know of one trapper who tried to raise one from a pup.Ended up biting one of his grandchildren.You just never can trust them.Theres always that wild streak waiting to show up.

11. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Didn't know that. Actually don't know crap about the breed l to have owned 2(one free that was trained well the other was an impulse buy (to satisfy the ex) when the first got ran over. Both was very loyal and never bit anyone but as age goes on seems her tolerance is a bit shorter. I won't allow a biting dog of any form or fashion and I don't even have a family. I'd rather have an ol goofy mutt that wouldn't hurt a flea like my old GSP some gorge hippy stold.:mad:

bondhu likes this.
  12. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    TIME OUT! As in Red River Gorge Hippy? That sombatch, LMOA

13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Kinda like a Pit bull eh ? I knew a gal that had a red fox that would walk on a leash and follow her around the house and yard. Not for me stunk to high heaven.

14. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    gal or the fox?:D

Feedman, beauhunter41031 and DH13 like this.
  15. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    Its kind of funny... the idea we have to train the decendent of a wolf how to find a 200lb steak in the woods.