The Ultimate tracking critter

Duster

12 pointer
Dec 14, 2001
Up in the woods above Lake Malone
Be cool if you could tho. I seen a guy once at Bedford, Indiana at a IBO archery shoot that had 5 pups in a cage and he was selling them so must be different laws between Indiana and Kentucky. IIRC he wanted $50 each for them and there was police and CO's all over the place.

beauhunter41031

12 pointer
Jan 1, 2018
Cynthiana, Ky
Some other Hunter would probably just shoot it thinking it’s at wild yote as it was tracking your wounded deer. I get what you’re saying Would probably be a pain in the butt trying to convert some wild dog

Bone_Chaser

8 pointer
Sep 12, 2014
Whitley Co
I don't see a tame raised coyote being better than a breed of dog selectively bred for tracking ability. Now if you could domesticate a wild coyote that had honed its skills in the wild out of necessity....

kyhunter99

12 pointer
Dec 21, 2014
Still in the kitchen Ky
I think i read the best canine nose is a type of fox. They tried using them at airports to detect drugs...
Either way i dont buy you need a special dog for tracking a bleeding decaying deer. Theyll do what still comes natural unless they literally cant smell it because we bred them that way--like the bulldog.
Some people take daschunds to recover deer, i dont think it matters much. And i dont even think they have to be trained period. Though it would be a bonus.

DH13

12 pointer
Jan 13, 2012
Shelby county
My Lab found my Bow shot Deer once. Good shot just got into biggest thicket it could find. Lost blood in it. Came home got her went back. She went in under the stuff tracking. Didn't go 25 yards and barked. I crawled thru the stuff she was sitting beside the Deer. Getting Deer out was a JOB. But I bet she didn't go 50 yards total after shot. But right into the thick stuff.

Duster

12 pointer
Dec 14, 2001
Up in the woods above Lake Malone
Bubbles and Meatdick I hope you never lose a deer. I bet if you did you wouldn't have the ball's to come on here and say anything about it. I have shot a dozen deer over in and by the jungle in the past 7 years and this is the first one I have had problems with. Maybe you missed one from a few years back where I shot him with a ML near dark. Left him overnight and went back at daylight and found him. Very little blood from a double lung pass thru with a XTP 300 grain bullet. Fat plug the entry and exit holes. I found him in the jungle by walking/crawling on trails in the direction I last seen him run into from the field he was standing in at the shot until I found him about a hour later and it took my brother in law and myself along with my atv with a winch a chainsaw and two more hours to move him 50 yards to where I could drag him out without turning the atv backwards on me. He only weighed 210 dressed and I field dressed him first clear spot we got him to. I even got a cool picture out of the deal on trail camera that was facing me. You can see the smoke from the shot in the picture at the instant I touched off that ML. I will see if I can link to it on photobucket where it is stored and edit and put the link here.

Last edited:

KY Swamp Beagler

12 pointer
Feb 20, 2011
the swamps of western KY
Find some western, Kentucky rabbit hunters. Every one I hunted with or trialed with swore their hounds were straight and everyone had the finest deer dogs I’d ever saw:D

Rule number 1 of being a hound hunter: never say your hound won’t run deer. Just say your old hound hasn’t run one recently, but you wouldn’t put it past him:)

allseasonhunter

8 pointer
Feb 2, 2010
Bubbles and Meatdick I hope you never lose a deer. I bet if you did you wouldn't have the ball's to come on here and say anything about it. I have shot a dozen deer over in and by the jungle in the past 7 years and this is the first one I have had problems with. Maybe you missed one from a few years back where I shot him with a ML near dark. Left him overnight and went back at daylight and found him. Very little blood from a double lung pass thru with a XTP 300 grain bullet. Fat plug the entry and exit holes. I found him in the jungle by walking/crawling on trails in the direction I last seen him run into from the field he was standing in at the shot until I found him about a hour later and it took my brother in law and myself along with my atv with a winch a chainsaw and two more hours to move him 50 yards to where I could drag him out without turning the atv backwards on me. He only weighed 210 dressed and I field dressed him first clear spot we got him to. I even got a cool picture out of the deal on trail camera that was facing me. You can see the smoke from the shot in the picture at the instant I touched off that ML. I will see if I can link to it on photobucket where it is stored and edit and put the link here.
There are alot on here that would probably keep quiet. Especially if they have ever commented against something I have posted.

Latest posts