The Ultimate tracking critter

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Duster, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I know I get way out there at times but ever think if you could get a Yote as a pup raise it up and train it to blood trail wounded deer you would have it in demand all fall.

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    don't know if you could train a coyote but it would be illegal to possess.

3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Be cool if you could tho. I seen a guy once at Bedford, Indiana at a IBO archery shoot that had 5 pups in a cage and he was selling them so must be different laws between Indiana and Kentucky. IIRC he wanted $50 each for them and there was police and CO's all over the place.

4. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Some other Hunter would probably just shoot it thinking it’s at wild yote as it was tracking your wounded deer. I get what you’re saying Would probably be a pain in the butt trying to convert some wild dog

5. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 8 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    I don't see a tame raised coyote being better than a breed of dog selectively bred for tracking ability. Now if you could domesticate a wild coyote that had honed its skills in the wild out of necessity....

6. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

I think i read the best canine nose is a type of fox. They tried using them at airports to detect drugs...
    Either way i dont buy you need a special dog for tracking a bleeding decaying deer. Theyll do what still comes natural unless they literally cant smell it because we bred them that way--like the bulldog.
    Some people take daschunds to recover deer, i dont think it matters much. And i dont even think they have to be trained period. Though it would be a bonus.

7. Bubbles

Bubbles 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2016
    I think it would be easier just to make a good shot.:D

BowOnly, Junglekat, Nock and 7 others like this.
  8. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Damn that's perfect

Drahts, Junglekat, Munson and 2 others like this.
  9. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    My Lab found my Bow shot Deer once. Good shot just got into biggest thicket it could find. Lost blood in it. Came home got her went back. She went in under the stuff tracking. Didn't go 25 yards and barked. I crawled thru the stuff she was sitting beside the Deer. Getting Deer out was a JOB. But I bet she didn't go 50 yards total after shot. But right into the thick stuff.

kyhunter99 likes this.
  10. invasion36

invasion36 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2013
    Kenton Co
    My boxers would suck at finding deer. Although they can find me when I hide from them. Lol

11. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Find some western, Kentucky rabbit hunters. Every one I hunted with or trialed with swore their hounds were straight and everyone had the finest deer dogs I’d ever saw:D

12. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Bubbles and Meatdick I hope you never lose a deer. I bet if you did you wouldn't have the ball's to come on here and say anything about it. I have shot a dozen deer over in and by the jungle in the past 7 years and this is the first one I have had problems with. Maybe you missed one from a few years back where I shot him with a ML near dark. Left him overnight and went back at daylight and found him. Very little blood from a double lung pass thru with a XTP 300 grain bullet. Fat plug the entry and exit holes. I found him in the jungle by walking/crawling on trails in the direction I last seen him run into from the field he was standing in at the shot until I found him about a hour later and it took my brother in law and myself along with my atv with a winch a chainsaw and two more hours to move him 50 yards to where I could drag him out without turning the atv backwards on me. He only weighed 210 dressed and I field dressed him first clear spot we got him to. I even got a cool picture out of the deal on trail camera that was facing me. You can see the smoke from the shot in the picture at the instant I touched off that ML. I will see if I can link to it on photobucket where it is stored and edit and put the link here.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  13. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Rule number 1 of being a hound hunter: never say your hound won’t run deer. Just say your old hound hasn’t run one recently, but you wouldn’t put it past him:)

aaronc, rabbit dawg, Chilly and 2 others like this.
  14. allseasonhunter

allseasonhunter 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2010
    There are alot on here that would probably keep quiet. Especially if they have ever commented against something I have posted.

15. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Two things in this world that will make a liar out of you faster than anything. A dog and a woman