The things you see from the stand

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by BODAB1, Dec 9, 2018.

1. BODAB1

BODAB1 Spike

Apr 13, 2012
    I have been stomping around the woods for over 60 years now and today I saw something I still can’t hardly believe. I am in a tower blind deer hunting Kentucky’s late black powder season. I can see three food plots, a cedar thicket and a mineral lick from my stand. There are two does feeding in a small food plot of clover and rye. The mature doe gets spooked by something in the woods and they both run right under my blind in a hurry.

I am hoping a buck is trailing them so I am patiently waiting. Suddenly I see a Bobcat come out of the tree line right where the does had been. The Bobcat starts rolling on the ground in what I assume is deer scat. It then crossed the food plot and goes into the brush. While I have captured this cat on my trail camera a few times this is the first Bobcat I have ever seen in the wild. I am thinking this is pretty neat.

Then the first Bobcat sprints out of the brush and is followed by a second Bobcat. As rare as seeing one is I have never heard of seeing two at the same time. This is where it gets good. They are kind of playing around the edge of the brush line when I see two coyotes run into the food plot. The coyotes stop mid-run and they are in a staring contest with the two Bobcats which are about 20 feet away.

I don’t know what would have naturally happened next as I never pass up a chance to shoot a coyote. So, I shoot the first one and of course everybody scatters. The shot anchors the coyote but it is not dead. His tail and head are moving. I start to reload hoping the other coyote comes back to check on its partner. I look up and one of the Bobcats is now approaching the dying coyote. The Bobcat gets to within about 10 feet and sits down and continues to watch the coyote. Every few minutes the Bobcat moves to a different position and sits and watches. He is making a circle around the coyote. I figure when the coyote finally dies the Bobcat might take advantage of a free meal.

When the Coyote dies the Bobcat moves in real close and does an inspection, then walks into the woods. A few minutes later the second Bobcat appears and goes through the same routine plus it lays down and watches the coyote. It is now about 9:00 AM or so. I can see three food plots from my stand so I decide to stay and hunt a bit longer but thinking this particular plot is a dead zone with this coyote laying on the ground.

About 10:30 I look over and two mature does are in the plot and investigating this dead coyote. They stomp and sniff and circle and then walk off into the timber. I thought that most of this action took place in front of one of our trail cameras but as it turned out it was a few feet off to the left. However, I did manage to take a few pictures with my 35 MM camera that show some of the action. If you had been able to measure my adrenaline while this was going on I am sure it would have been off the charts.

Now, I don’t know if the Bobcats were the hunting the coyotes or the if the coyotes were hunting the Bobcats or if this was just a chance encounter. The spot where this happened is a major crossing point for deer from big timber to a cedar thicket and three food plots, so they may have been trailing deer. I do know that I feel extremely privileged to have witnessed such an event. I often get as much enjoyment out of watching as I do shooting game. This was certainly one of those occasions. No deer harvested today…..but what a memory.

I tried to load my pictures but I keep getting the message the file is too large.

2. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Nothing eats a Yote not even a Buzzard.

3. trapper perry

trapper perry 12 pointer

May 10, 2009
    Sounds like a good morning.

4. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Had my first Bobcat encounter four years ago in NH, it was our first year up there. I was in my climber 100 yds behind the house and I saw him he was huge , I don't know how big they get but he was there. He hopped up on a rock wall ( they are all over the place up there) and sat there 50 yds away.. I mouth squeaked at him and he came running ( oh crap) all I have is a bow and you can't shoot them up there anyway.. He got almost to the base of my tree a sat on a log looking around. I didn't make another sound, finally he sensed something and looked straight up at me then hauled ass..

Ataulbe1, Recurve77 and Junglekat like this.
  5. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 10 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    Cool story.thanks for sharing.why didn't you want to kill one of the bob cats?

farmertom and elkaholic like this.
  6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    very neat morning you had.

7. thanks gor the story,one you will never forget

ojibwa62 likes this.
  8. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 10 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    Cool experience. I was bow hunting ft Knox years ago and saw a Bobcat and her half grown kitten. I was wathching the cat, hadn't seen her young one yet, when 2 yotes came down the same trail with their nose to the ground. I then saw the young cat go scrambling up a tree. The adult cat then ran right at the coyotes and hissed and took a swipe at one. The yote turned and left. About 10 minutes later the young cat came down and the two of them came right under my tree. Quite a show.

Recurve77 likes this.
  9. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Steve Rinella ate one.

10. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Didn't he eat the back straps?

11. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    That's not true. I've seen buzzards and opossums clean one up within a day. In fact, my dad killed one this year and it was about half eaten by the next morning, not sure what ate it but something did.

12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Maybe something will eat em. But I have shot them and left them lay. Just to watch the rot.
    Things I have seen from a Deer stand. Quiet a bit of animals. Once in Franklin county had a young couple come out in the woods early October and done the hanky panky about 30 yards from me in my climbing stand. Once I was up in climber in Anderson county had 2 women riding Horses. Stopped one got off her Horse and peed about 20 yards away. No telling what you will see while hunting.

13. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
  14. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I seen a guy up north during archery season come thru the woods, got right under the tree I was in and loped his mule if you know what I mean. He sure stopped the lope when I cough 15 ft over his head. Didn't take him long to get out of sight across the woods.

15. captain71

captain71 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2011
    Western Ky
    FB_IMG_1543148328662.jpg This the first encounter with a bobcat it happened two years ago. He seen me and just kept on going like I wasn't even there. I seen several bobcats this year but this one was the biggest yet.