The Silence of The Hambs

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Dec 28, 2011.

1. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Ive been raisin some hampshire and yorkshire crosses...they have been pretty good. Ive got some herefords at the moment..that are turning out to look real good. Friend of mine got some of the same herefords i did..and what he processed..the meat was fantastic.

Pure yorkshires are a pain..if their pen is too big. But boy so they have some nice loins on them.

drakeshooter, bondhu and barney like this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I've heard good things about the eatin' quality of Hereford hogs.

3. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Absolutely dirtstalker hampshire and yorkshire those finish out to what hogs are supposed to look like.
    Followed my niece and nephew around Ky while they showed pigs for 3-4 years. Maybe saw one red wattle hog showed and none ever placed that I remember. I have never dealt with those herefords, might look into them.

4. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I will definetly let ya know what i think of em when they make their way to the butcher. Still working on the last 2 i had processed.

barney likes this.
  5. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I have been really pleased with how the hampshire/yorkshire finish out.
    Good yield..quality and taste is great.

Alot of that has to do with what they are fed..and how they are kept up. I have a cousin that raises the same crosses..they dont like a fat hog. So they lean them out real bad on whole corn and water...and i dont care much for it.

barney and bondhu like this.
  6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I've had a few Hampshires over the years. They are one of the fastest growing, meatiest hogs there is in my opinion. The chops are a third larger than most other breeds, but I rate the eatin' quality at the bottom.

I raised a mixed lot of 5 hogs one year, a pure hamp was in the bunch. When I killed and processed them all were close in weight. I was amazed at the size of chops, and general meatiness of the Hampshire compared to the others, but I found myself passing over its meat in the freezer.

bondhu likes this.
  7. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    Love that this thread was refreshed. What a great read! Thanks so much for sharing barney!

drakeshooter and barney like this.
  8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    You are welcome, Sir!