The Perfect Grouse Gun

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by trust me, Jan 20, 2008.

1. vabirddog

vabirddog 6 pointer

Mar 24, 2007
    Best ever? I don't know I have'nt shot very many. I have always used my Dad's 16 ga sportsman 48 rem. 26" improved,at 6 1/2 lbs and I don't think I'll need another. I am also in love with the sweet sixteen but it is heavier than my 48. I have another 20 ga I sometimes carry but the sixteen is the goto gun. If you want an auto you can't go wrong with it.

2. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    I use an SKB (skeet model) 12 gauge O/U. With the exception of high desert chukar -- which I choked the gun Imp/mod -- I've always stuck with skeet/Imp. The gun just fits.

3. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    A Browning sweet 16 is my dream gun, period. I'd love to have one. Hopefully I get a chance to own one in my lifetime.

Ky hunter 79,I too wanted a sweet sixteen when I got my lt. 20.I still want a sweet sixteen.You would not believe how the price has quadrupled in the past 5 years! I am looking again now for one before the price goes even higher.

4. killer

killer 12 pointer

May 7, 2004
    "In that good way!"
    I'm not a grouse hunter but after seeing the requirments a Benelli Ultra light would be the cats meow as long as it fit properly, but then again they make hacksaws every day.:D

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    A friend of mine would have one now if he could find it with the 24" barrel. Everything is 26" so far. For the low, low price of only 1200 bucks, it could be yours.

6. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    I started out in SE ky with a used browning sweet sixteen, in the fifties. Still have it. In the late sixties I went to a 12 guage superposed. Still have it. then in the early 90's to a 20 guage superposed. I think I could shoot better with the 12, in terms of killing more birds, fwiw.

7. jkurtkrauss

jkurtkrauss Fawn

Feb 13, 2006
    Lexington
    Beretta Pintail with a shoulder strap for using both hands when the going gets tough. Light weight and packs a wallop. A Roger Hurst recommendation. Remington Express 7 1/2's. I used to use a Remington 1100, but it was like hauling a Howitzer.

With the amount of birds I've seen lately, I'm considering trading it for a machette. At least I could actually use that.

8. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

First off, these are just my opinions used for my own purposes, but I'll share them for discussion since this is a topic that I enjoy so much. Please don't take offense if they don't match your own thoughts, as grouse hunters are an independent lot with their own tastes and preferences.

For me, grouse hunting is about so much more than simply killing a bird. I am not religious at all, and grouse hunting is the closest I come to being spiritual, and my asthetic preferences reflect some of that. Also, after some early financial struggles, due mostly to my own self-inflicted decisions in poor mate selection, I have finally lived long enough to find myself in a position where I can finally enjoy some of the finer things, and I've found that I like that very much.

Grouse hunting is a pasttime with a rich history, and I really like embracing and enjoying that history. Therefore, my preferences tend to lean toward the traditional. I prefer to hunt grouse with a fast, but stylish brace of english setters ... for me, it is simply, the way it should be.

Along those same lines, I look for something more than "functional" in my grouse gun. I demand "functionality", but I like a feeling of style, quality workmanship, and easy handling in my shotgun. Therefore, you can throw out the pumps and autoloaders right off the bat. They are cumbersome, and unbalanced with all of that "blocky" feeling action between your hands, plus all of those moving parts just don't feel right to me, although I used them for many years out of financial necessity.

For me, a preference in grouse guns comes down to either a side x side or over/under, and since I just don't care for double triggers or the wide sight plane, I simply prefer the over/under with a single selective trigger.

I've also noticed that as I grow older, and more experienced at this sport, my shotguns have downsized. I have now shot exclusively for grouse a 28 gauge over the past 4-5 years and even with slowing reflexes, don't notice any difference in my shooting, even with this so-called under-gauged gun. To me, the 28 gauge is the perfect grouse gauge. Also, I don't mess with shells and chokes like I used to depending on cover or time of year ... I shoot 3/4 oz of #8's in Winchester AA's through Cyl/IC chokes from early season in Wisconsin to February in KY.

After that then your choice becomes largely cosmetic, depending on your personal preferences. Currently, my "go to" shotgun is a 28 gauge Beretta Silver Pigeon IV:

[​IMG]

That photo was of the 1st grouse that I took with this gun, and it has some added nicks and carry marks now, but like I told the dealer who questioned whether it was wise to hunt with such a nice shotgun ... I said "If I just wanted to look at this shotgun, I'd have bought a picture of it".:cool:

9. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Did you shoot that bird or whack it on the head with the hoe?

Just kidding. Beautiful gun. I have an old friend that comes down and gives me annual shooting lessons with either his Beretta or his Ruger 28. He's poison on birds with them.

10. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Come on trust me, that's just a plain ole "functional" hoe, with not nearly enough style and tradition to be used in pursuit of the "king of the gamebirds". ;):cool::D:p

11. Grousehunter 12

Grousehunter 12 Fawn

Jan 16, 2007
    Grouseguy,I thought I might be the only person who feels this way,guess not.

This has been my grouse gun for the last 5 years,it's getting a little dinged up now,I could not care less.12ga.Garbi,6lbs.6ozs.,28" barrels,choked Cyl/IC. I use 7/8 oz. of nickeled plated #6's at 1200fps,in both barrels,#6 nickeled is the same as a #6.66 U.S. shot size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes,the dog is as strange as the gun and the owner,he's the black boy.

[​IMG]

12. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Grousehunter 12,

VERY NICE Gordon and shootin' iron ... I see we have slightly different preferences, but it appears we approach the sport from the same perspective.

Well Done !!!

Now for the clincher ... how do you feel about good bourbon and the end of the days hunt? ;)

13. Grousehunter 12

Grousehunter 12 Fawn

Jan 16, 2007
    Most late season evenings after a hunt and the gun and dog taken care of will find me with about four fingers of Woodford Reserve,Blanton's or Eagle Rare.In the late season I eat junk food on the way home,early season may mean a 2" Angus strip on the grill and a bottle of wine,as I live across the street from a winery.

HOPE YOUR KENTUCKY SEASON IS GOING BETTER THAN MINE!! If this keeps up my boy will be a quail dog.

14. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Well, seems like we share the same tastes in bourbon. If I may, let me share a "new" (for me) bourbon that is becoming one of my favorites, and is "relatively" inexpensive compared to the others you listed ... Elijah Craig (12 year old) ... they have an 18 year old variety, but I actually prefer the 12 year old better. Give it a try if you haven't already ... a little variety never hurt anyone.

Sounds like your grouse season is going about the same as mine, as I actually spent this past long weekend in western KY chasing "Gentleman Bob" myself, rather than the dogs and I just taking long "verticle" walks in the woods here.

15. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    You gents are big on the aesthetics of the game. That's cool.

I don't know anybody that grouse hunts just so he can kill game. Anyone so inclined would give it up rather quickly for deer or turkey hunting.

I take great pleasure in young dogs showing promise, and old dogs showing skill and expertise. I love the mountains and the steep climbs and the cold air. I love being bone tired at the end of the day, knowing I've earned every ache and pain.

My shotguns are workhorses of yesterday, guns far older than me that show the silver lines of years of hard use. Every nick, scratch and smudge is a badge of honor denoting each step, each bird, each season.

I guess I'm in it for the aesthetics too, just different ones.