The KY Bear are trying to kill me,

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by BigPete, Jan 1, 2020.

1. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    I think our local black bear know how much I despise them and have teamed up to kill me!

Made a quick trip to Walmart this evening, on my way back home home I had one attempt a suicide mission towards the front of my truck on the Whitesburg bypass! It ran off the hill and crossed right in front of me, I guess I didn’t miss it by 3-4’!!

At this time I do want to apologize to my Letcher County neighbors, I’m sorry I hit my brakes and swerved to dodge it. I should have throttled up and punted that bastard 50 yards on down the road!

bondhu, loganlee, CRFmxracer and 8 others like this.
  2. buzzbaiter83

buzzbaiter83 10 pointer

Come over here to Harlan and lay a few out. Lost 2 cams this week to them.

3. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Need to put you a bull bar ,on your truck Pete and don’t swerve the next time, wife all most hit one about a year ago ,here in Lawrence co.

Feedman and barney like this.
  4. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    That must have been rather startling. Good thing you maintained control of your vehicle. Did you have the time to determine whether the bear was moving slowly or quickly, and any idea if it was a male? I looked at the hourly readings for today and the past few days, reported by various airports located around your general area, via selecting each airport within the provided link, curious about when the majority of male bears may begin to den. What do you think, time wise?

https://forecast.weather.gov/obslocal.php?warnzone=KYZ118&local_place=Whitesburg KY&zoneid=EST&offset=18000

5. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    It was moving quickly towards downtown Whitesburg, certainly going there to raid trash cans and dumpsters like normal. Couldn’t tell if it was male or female, wasn’t a monster probably 250 pounds.

I don’t think the majority of Bear in our area actually den for winter as we see them regularly throughout the winter months. This is the 3rd one I’ve saw since this weekend.

6. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Instead of land of 10000 elk it sounds like the land of 10000 bears. They sound like a pain.

7. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    lol, they can be, if people are careless.

8. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Well, I am glad that you are okay. I would tend to believe that they do den, but that is very interesting, worthy of some online queries and maybe more. Was your area unseasonably warm, this past December?

9. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Several years ago a guy hit a bear a medium sized one at the mouth of our hollow on route 7 about 4:00 in the morning and totaled out his pickup. They don't bounce very good.

10. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    No warmer than usual, neither was any other winter months the last few years which we see bear out and about. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure some den, but we see them frequently all winter long.

I hate bear........

11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Lolol... well, I do know that they will, at times, leave the den, but it is all very interesting to me, being that I have never ventured into your neck of the hills. I do realize it is lower in elevation, than what I grew accustomed to, and I am sure that has much bearing. If I locate anything online of relevant interest, I shall let you know, but in the meantime, continue to be safe.

12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    BigPete, I just found this general information, but I prefer to locate some more in-depth studies.

https://fw.ky.gov/Education/Pages/Denning.aspx

13. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    I didn’t read nor even open your link, really don’t want to read any propaganda from KDFW about bear. They seem to have their own agenda they are pushing concerning bear that the majority of people here in bear counties disagree with.

In my opinion, Bear are overgrown raccoons that apparently have more rights than humans.

14. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    I read some very long article, after having read what is within that link. Said article almost twisted my eyes, and made me feel much as you stated, with so very many entities involved that I could not even begin to recite them (none from KY, but TN, NC, and GA, instead). I was researching bears back in the Smokies as a comparison, when it was fetched within the query.

Said entities are working together at developing something in which they refer to as "wildlife corridors" within those states, enabling wildlife crossings either above or under interstates and roads. The cost is staggering. One individual claimed that such was in order to protect people (from vehicle accidents), as opposed to protecting wildlife, but I do not necessarily believe that to be true. Each entity appeared to possess its own agenda, which is typical (same goes for how the Great Smoky Mountains National Park was developed, but most are completely unaware of the real story there, which is pretty sad regarding what was forced upon the mountain people...most of what is now in print is glossed over propaganda).

Anyway, the information within the link is straight-up factual regarding bear denning and nothing more, and so you are safe with that particular article. Here is a clip:

It goes on to relay when they enter, how it varies, with males typically entering last (which was why I made inquiry about the sex of your bear), elaborating that older males will sometimes move from one den to another. All explains why you see them during winter, even though they do den during the wintertime.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  15. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    I've heard from locals in Alaska that a "winter bear" is much more dangerous than a bear you see in summer. They say - and it makes sense to me - that if a bear wakes in winter it will be ravenously hungry and will be indiscriminate, aggressive and fearless in its pursuit of food.

I wonder if folks in eastern Kentucky have noticed bears becoming more fearless or aggressive in the winter....

HuntressOfLight likes this.