The Governor’s pardons and commutations

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RLWEBB, Dec 14, 2019.

1. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    +1000! Exactly.

barney likes this.
  2. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    *sigh* you guys are falling for it hook, line, and sinker. Regardless of why or how they're done, pardons of unsavory characters have been going on by every administration since the governor was granted the power. Whats different this time is that the media is not friendly to Bevin, so now you know of all the sordid details that the media wants you to know so that you think that Bevin is a horrible person. And it worked.

Prior to the election, the Courier Journal kept trying to make the use of the state plane a big issue. For days, they ran articles about how Bevin used the plane for campaigning but won't reveal where he went. You had to read the whole article to get to the last paragraphs where they stated that Beshear used the plane in the exact same way and that all the trips that were not state business related were properly reimbursed by the governor. But Bevin was bad because he won't reveal where he took the plane that he paid for to.

Now, since he's been out of office, every day they run articles about how he's a bad man who pardoned bad people. But how many of you are aware of the potential unconstitutionality of restoring voting rights of felons via governors orders--do you know what the state constitution says about it? Or that on day 1, Beshear's team took down the POW/MIA flags? Or what about that reorganizing the state board of education might very well be against state law in the KERA law? How much of that are you hearing about in the news? But you guys keep on keeping on about Bevin being a bad man.

Propaganda and manipulation is a powerful thing. What's funny is that everyone should know by now how your MSM and social media are using it. I guess no one wants to believe they're a victim of it. And yet here we are.

Oh, also, once a pardon is granted, it can't be undone--even if the person granting it is found to be guilty of something related to granting the pardon (bribery, extortion, etc).

Feedman, Wildcat, Nock and 1 other person like this.
  3. Great post man! Outrage over everything and media manipulation of the low IQ idgits rules this day and age.

Winchester94 and Nock like this.
  4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Yes and it works both ways. Man shouldn’t get a pass because an R is beside of his name and he claims to be conservative. I’ve said many times, I don’t believe 90% of what I hear or 70% of what I see but some of us were never on the Bevin bandwagon from the beginning. You’re right, if they’re pardoned then that’s that. It’s yesterday’s news at this point. Politics and predictable.

5. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I agree that he shouldn't get a pass because of the party he's in. But hasn't Jussie Smollet and the CovCath incident taught us to wait for all the information before passing judgement? And who was the torch bearer on those incidents--the same people telling you that Bevin pardoned monsters for no good reason!

6. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Did the pardons happen or not?

I don't give a flying rats behind about what media outlet said what, when. I don't get any paper delivered to my house, and filter my news information pretty carefully to get around the spin. I also know a lot the pardons previous govenors made were equally as slimy. But we are currently talking about Bevin.

The fact is, Bevin, did indeed pardon someone who raped a 9 year old girl, and was legally tried and convicted. That makes him a POS, and there really shouldn't be a debate about it. Even the county prosecutor who previously supported him said it wasn't right, and that he was disgusted by it.

Unless you are saying that particular pardon is fiction, you can try the typical political spin on it any way you want. It doesn't make it less true. Are you defending Bevin in this particular case?

thunderstorm, RLWEBB, DH13 and 2 others like this.
  7. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Beshear to sign proclamation to permanently fly POW/MIA flag
    https://www.lex18.com/news/beshear-to-sign-proclamation-to-permanently-fly-pow-mia-flag

DH13 and drakeshooter like this.
  8. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Bevin is such a wack job weirdo I don’t know how any of you all can say you ever liked him. And I’m very conservative

xbokilla likes this.
  9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I’m guessing you only know what the media has told you about each of these cases? You aren’t privy to the other side of the argument are you? When you watched Making of a Murderer, you truly believed that the uncle and nephew were innocent didn’t you? Be honest.

10. I don’t like anybody pardoning murderers and rapists when there are so many more worthwhile cases this special executive power could be used for. The real miscarriages of justice that an independent party can look at and determine if justice was served and right truly egregious miscarriages of justice. They should be limited and have gone through a thorough vetting process. I would think only a small number of those would exist in any given term.

aaronc likes this.
  11. wv67

wv67 10 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    A rapist , child molester , and murderer of anyone should be put to death Period 72 hrs max problem solved

12. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I don’t believe in pardoning power at all. To me it’s counter to the over all principles set forth in the Declaration and the constitution. I don’t think we would ever know the difference if they suddenly did away with executive pardoning power.

13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I would have said that too, 10 years ago. Since then, unfortunately, I started to see for myself how local, political cliques operate. Just look at what the house is trying to do to the POTUS.

00noturkey and drakeshooter like this.
  14. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Didn’t watch that documentary, so I can’t tell you. I do know a man was tried and convicted of raping a 9 year old girl, and Bevin pardoned him. Is that a lie or bias by the media?

You actually believe Bevin is a POs for doing it too, don’t you. Be honest

15. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Yes. That’s correct. That’s what pardons are all about. Why the confusion?

No I don’t think he’s a “pos.” Not at all. I’m not ignorant enough to claim to have all the pertinent information to make a judgement.

Are you more of a Steven Avery or a Brandon Dassey kinda guy?