The Extensive TSS discussion Thread.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
This is what I'm using now only because I got a great deal on them. Can be bought @ Midway USA product #478988

Again, you can put a turkey head target on this one as well if you want.
That looks good. Normally I print off turkey templates on computer paper. I just had some wax paper I was using for trap pans in my car. I could see the pattern fine, just didn’t photograph well for y’all.

My mom is looking forward to lugging that gun into woods this year, if she doesn’t I will. She is very recoil sensitive and appreciates the 2 3/4” loads in what I believe was the best semi auto design for taming recoil in any shotgun. Did I mention I love Ithaca’s. I may be biased.

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
I killed my first bird with a 20 gauge shooting a estate target load lol I remember you could take a box of those shells and some where twice as loud as others haha that was 20 years ago when I had to have a forked stick to hold up the barrel haha.
I may get some tss in 16 gauge one of these years. Like to load up my grandpas old stevens 94 with it. These tss loads aren’t to harsh on a old gun are they?

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I killed my first bird with a 20 gauge shooting a estate target load lol I remember you could take a box of those shells and some where twice as loud as others haha that was 20 years ago when I had to have a forked stick to hold up the barrel haha.
I may get some tss in 16 gauge one of these years. Like to load up my grandpas old stevens 94 with it. These tss loads aren’t to harsh on a old gun are they?
If it’s in good condition and you wouldn’t be scared to fire a slug in it your good to go. I have a 1914 SxS 16ga I only have the nerve to shoot #5 paper shells in. I ripped 2 Bismuth duck loads through it once and it wasn’t very happy to break open.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Alright so I/We have finally joined TSS world. I don’t have anywhere to shoot at my house so “sighting in” takes some work. Myself, my bro, and my dad all have 410s but I also have a 20. From my initial experience they aren’t as easy to sight in as what I’ve read and watched. My recommendation is a big target to see where the pattern is. A pie plate or just turkey head paper won’t do it. You may put 10 shot on the plate and 200 low and right and won’t be able to tell. Also sighting in with other shells to save your TSS is just not the same. My 80 year old pops was convinced to try this and there was about a 2 foot different pattern. I actually wasn’t pleased with my pattern and didn’t have all the tools with me to adjust my sights so I put my 20 and 410 back up for now. Dad got his 410 in, 200 pellets in 3x3 circle at 40 yards but it took him about 7 TSS shells. Of course, he’s pretty picky. Everything I’ve read and seen says 1 shot at 40, adjust, if you like the next pattern, put it up and save your shells, but that wasn’t our personal experience. I have actually noticed more TSS availability and better prices lately.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Alright so I/We have finally joined TSS world. I don’t have anywhere to shoot at my house so “sighting in” takes some work. Myself, my bro, and my dad all have 410s but I also have a 20. From my initial experience they aren’t as easy to sight in as what I’ve read and watched. My recommendation is a big target to see where the pattern is. A pie plate or just turkey head paper won’t do it. You may put 10 shot on the plate and 200 low and right and won’t be able to tell. Also sighting in with other shells to save your TSS is just not the same. My 80 year old pops was convinced to try this and there was about a 2 foot different pattern. I actually wasn’t pleased with my pattern and didn’t have all the tools with me to adjust my sights so I put my 20 and 410 back up for now. Dad got his 410 in, 200 pellets in 3x3 circle at 40 yards but it took him about 7 TSS shells. Of course, he’s pretty picky. Everything I’ve read and seen says 1 shot at 40, adjust, if you like the next pattern, put it up and save your shells, but that wasn’t our personal experience. I have actually noticed more TSS availability and better prices lately.
Weird. Fortunately, I've never had a POI difference between dove loads and TSS. I've always checked, but it's always been the same.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Weird. Fortunately, I've never had a POI difference between dove loads and TSS. I've always checked, but it's always been the same.

I can tell you this, when I do get that Stevens 20 Turkey I bought early Spring sighted in it will be a bad dude for no more than I paid. My two TSS shots, had pie plates on cedar trees, first literally blew about a 2-3 inch tree into, 2nd was hanging on a thicker tree, and it was low and to the right and it ate the side off at 40 yds. Turkey wouldn’t have a chance unless you literally pulled and missed.

NOCAMST

8 pointer
Oct 9, 2017
Central ky
Same for me as well. I get my poi right with dove loads and then shoot one tss to verify and it has be yet to fail me and that’s on 4 guns so far.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Everybody says TSS hits low for them (heavier is their theory) but it has either printed high in my old fixed choke guns (some guns have notes to “bury bead” with TSS) or they are dead on with the dove loads and XRs.

257Wmag

6 pointer
Oct 7, 2015
NC
I shoot a 11-87 with Indian Creek choke tube. Switching from hevi 13 to Federal TSS #9 same POI. This season I accidentally grabbed a box of #7 federal TSS. The POI was fairly significantly off. The pattern wasn’t as good with 7s either. After adjusting the red dot I realize the error of my ways. Switched back to 9s and sure enough the POI was different. About a $40 mistake when all said and done.

I found it strange that switching from 7s to 9s, same load otherwise moved the POI not only up and down but also L-R. Not a lot but needed adjusting.

Make sure you shoot your guns every season!

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
Salyersville, Ky
So my kid shot a Federal TSS yesterday at his turkey, 12 gauge, 3 incher and the brass separated from the hull. When his gun recoiled back the action was left open with the brass in the middle of the action and the hull halfway out the back of the barrel. Never seen that separation in all the years I've shot shotguns.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
So my kid shot a Federal TSS yesterday at his turkey, 12 gauge, 3 incher and the brass separated from the hull. When his gun recoiled back the action was left open with the brass in the middle of the action and the hull halfway out the back of the barrel. Never seen that separation in all the years I've shot shotguns.
It's happened to me before with duck loads. Dirty chamber was my issue

jem44357

Fawn
Apr 12, 2012
Mi.
Edit. I got the pics to post. I can't post all of my pics files to large edited as small as I can. I have shot at least 10-15 different brands/size ammo through both barrels. Here's what mine does. I have a stock 15" 45/410 barrel & a J.R. Schultz custom 15" (Shultz barrel pictured). I have patterned both. I've shot 45 colt and 410 buck shot from the stock barrel and could take deer out to 25/30 yards, I have not tried these in the Schultz barrel. My personal evaluation of patterning both is the stock barrel is good to 20yrds, I'd stay under 20 with anything but Fed. #9's/9.5's. The Schultz barrel is good to 30 with 9.5's. Both will open up after 20 yards with any of the bigger shot. YMMV! I'd say in a hail mary situation I'd push another 5 yards on both. I have 2 more chokes to pattern in the Schultz barrel but for now... Gobble Gobble POP! 😁 As back up I'd go with the Boss or Fiocchi #7 and back off 5yrds.
20220426_060641~3.jpg
20220426_060451~3.jpg

Attachments

• 20220425_142957~2.jpg
    20220425_142957~2.jpg
    980.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220425_143416~2.jpg
    20220425_143416~2.jpg
    997.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220425_143339~4.jpg
    20220425_143339~4.jpg
    755.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I know it’s deer season but I have fall birds on my mind.

I contacted Apex this week about 16ga loads. They haven’t been able to purchase any 16ga components since July of 21. They’ve been out of 12ga 2 3/4 since then too.

Federal will make a custom 16 load but they are $110 for 10. 1 1/8 oz. I may suck it up and make an order before spring.

Latest posts