The Days are Receding.....

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by B.M. Barrelcooker, Jan 26, 2021.

1. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky

This has been an extremely difficult year for me and I’m going to be straight up honest about it here. Trying to run a business with extra worries about employee safety and added costs and less revenue is hard enough. Managing a family of four kids each with their own crisis/challenge during this pandemic has been a struggle.

I’ve struggled myself mentally as things aren’t like they “should be”. I’ve faced some darker parts of me and faced several things that I’ve been avoiding dealing with for decades. Old wounds ......old hurts .......and old habits that started off as coping tools.
    Severe anxiety has taken its toll on my mind, my family ,and my spirit.
    I’ve been having some good long conversations with my creator and I’ve found comfort there.

So far this year I’ve only hunted with my boys and my dad. He is 82 this year and will go hunting any day.
    Sometimes it used to feel like a chore.....now I count each day with him as a blessing.

The last two days of just me and him together have been great. Today when we were coming out of the woods the sun was shining snd there was a cold breeze in my face. It was like heaven might be. I looked at my Papa and thought about this blessing ...... I wept . I really wept. Some of it was the joy of the day and some was knowing that the days like this are numbered and fleeting fast.
    It was a perfect day and I got to tell him how much I enjoyed it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mmayes, bondhu, BootsOn27 and 35 others like this.
  2. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Good post and good for you! That’s the way a day should be spent. The Lord provides everything we need in every way. I’ll be praying that you have many more good days with your dad and your family. I think we all have some type of anxiety almost daily. Some days it’s just more severe or serious. The Bible has the answers to all our problems. Just look at some of the greatest servants of God, both men and women, and the problems they faced and overcome. David, Saul (Paul), Samuel, and Daniel are just a few who come to mind. Stay in the word and pray. God’s got better things in store for the future.

3. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Thanks for sharing the pics BM ! May god bless you and your family. Enjoy every moment with them!

4. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Enjoy it every chance you get. Birds were thick on the Island last week. So were hunters

5. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Time is our most precious commodity, often taken for granted and overlooked. Glad you are using it wisely.

Giveem3outdoors and Capttrae like this.
  6. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    That’s a phenomenal post for more reasons than can be mentioned. Thanks.
    Also your old man looks 60 at most. Good for him.

7. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Thanks for the Post! Things will get better. Maybe not easier but better.

8. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    On behalf of all of us in close to your fathers age, thanks for taking him every chance you get. We appreciate it. Believe me , it is far more special to him to be going on those family hunts than it is to you (even though you do not think that is possible!).......savor it. And you cannot take enough pictures. But you already know that part too.

Carl, BootsOn27, carnivore and 4 others like this.
  9. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Good pics, and story, spend all the time, you can with him, I have been around and hunted with some well known names, When I was around the waterfowl world a lot. People used to ask me if I could pick anyone to hunt with one more time answer has always been the same my Dad , thanks for sharing your story

BootsOn27 and Carl like this.
  10. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    Tough to share struggles but it’s appreciated when you do by all parties. Nice perspective.

HeadedWest and B.M. Barrelcooker like this.
  11. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Great post. Glad you are getting to spend some time with your dad. Mine has never been a hunter but we share farming together. I've missed your posts, for sure. Its been a tough duck season for all folks but we can only hope to see the next one.

12. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    2020. Sucked the life out of a bunch of us.

if you need encouragement read John 3-15.

that’s all.

BootsOn27 and CHL like this.
  13. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    I know that feeling dads never been a hunter but has always supported me at it. Says I get my love for fowl from my grandpa that was a quail enthusiast. We farm together also.

B.M. Barrelcooker likes this.
  14. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    My dad is not a hunter but enjoys spending time seeing me do what I love to do.

This year, due to covid and everything else, we decided we’d burn some points and I’d take him on that trip I’d been wanting to do for 6+ years. Weather forecast looked terrible, bird numbers were in the pits and I knew he’d have a high chance of taking a swim but we committed.

We lucked into a good draw and so I reached out to a couple forum members who put us right where we needed to be. Straps weren’t stretched, but limits could have been had. My pops doesn’t know what he lucked into those mornings but I will forever reflect on this hunt and know just how well the stars aligned.

741C7A89-EFFC-4330-BB01-D4AB31D53301.jpeg 14D2FC43-CDB9-492A-A4CF-6BF2B62411FA.jpeg