The birth of a bow.

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Carpdaddy, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Fine fine work sir. I thought you were in my neck of woods for a minute. We have a possum holler rd here as well.

2. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    Beautiful masterpiece you've created!

Have you noted in any of your threads about building bows how to form the grip area to properly fit a person's palm swell/hand? Or how to size & place the flat platform for the arrow rest? Or how to "tune" the bow to get 'er shooting true - balanced bow, and true arrow flight that doesn't keyhole or wobble?

3. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Thanks SmokeShow. I don’t know if I covered that subject or not, possibly but I’m at that age, don’t remember. I usually do mine by feel, just decide what I like, usually by holding bows, determine if I’m doing a low, medium or high grip. From there I just shape by feel, sometimes good, sometimes not so much.
    The deepest part of the grip is the center, that way the bow balances in hand, or on your finger. The shelf usually is around 1-1 1/4” above center if I remember correctly, I like to get the arrow close to hand as possible when I am shaping, closer to hand the less effected by canting.
    Tuning; folks vary a bit but I like even tiller, both limbs being same distance from string, others like positive tiller, they want the bottom limb a bit stiffer, I may be remembering that backwards also! I worry about me ! Hope someone will correct me if I am remembering wrong.

4. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    Very cool, thanks for sharing.

If it wasn't painfully obvious by my questioning, I know next to nothing about traditional bows but an acquaintance of mine was talking about his own homemade bow and how he made it wrong initially and was now going back to correct it's grip and rest and then talked about tuning it. I find it very fascinating even if I'll never undertake such a thing. FWIW, he was preparing his for a grizzly bear hunt. :eek: And during practice a couple days prior to departure the riser broke while drawing the bow. :( He got it epoxied back together and retuned and shooting good again just hours before his flight out. Only to have it fail again while there. I think while practicing again, thankfully not in the face of a grizzly bear!!! :eek:

This is probably way out in left field, but have you seen where folks have made effective/usable long bows out of PVC pipe - heating & shaping it, etc? I happened across such a thing on YouTube one night. The ingenuity of some folks is wild!

5. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    I have made some of those PVC bows SmokeShow, mainly children’s bows, but did a few for friends. Hate to hear that about your friends riser, never had a riser break, did leave one strung once in a hot vehicle, I knew better, delaminated. Had warn d others but got in late from a hunt on Saturday, rushed to get in bed without getting stuff out, headed out to Church Sunday morning forgetting all about the bow, mistake!

6. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    Cant wait to see you at the Tyler shoot, and meet your new bow !

Carpdaddy likes this.