The Biggest Ginseng patch I've ever seen!

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Hoosier Sasquatch, May 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    I took a drive to see a woodlot owned by an old co-worker. He said that he had "a lot of ginseng plants." I'll say!

Munson, Drahts, Chilly and 3 others like this.
  2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    GPS coordinates please

mac0492 and Ataulbe1 like this.
  3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Its embedded in the video. Already got them! :D

Feedman likes this.
  4. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Watch for the van’s , dropping people off, with grubbing hoes

JR PORTER, barney and Feedman like this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Or helicopters like on Appalachian outlaws.

Feedman likes this.
  6. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

A few days before turkey season went out, my wife and I were hunting. As we were walking out, I walked into a patch of it as well. There were several 3 prong plants, and a whole lot of young plants. I counted 35 plants and I'm sure I missed some. This was in a spot about the size of a truck. Most I have ever found in one spot. This was about the best picture I could get of several of them.
    g.jpg

jblack1 likes this.
  7. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    nice video''' .. are there any plants that mimic, ginseng leaves.. ??

8. invasion36

invasion36 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2013
    Kenton Co
    Man I really really hate to ask this but, what is all the hype with ginseng? I know it has its medicinal purposes but it seems to be kinda all over.

Please be easy. Lol

9. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Price, not as easy as it looks to find

10. bah1286

bah1286 6 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    I dug close to 100 plants one day in an area about the size of a football end zone. Left a lot more small stuff than what was dug. The area looked horrible and I was only walking through trying to get back to my truck because it started raining. Was mostly oaks and cedars. Tops were short, even the 4s but the roots were really nice.

11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    During the gas crisis of the 70's, I knew and old 'sang digger. I only remember the gas crisis because me, and an uncle rode along with him to scout new properties he had acquired to dig on. The ol' feller was always out of gas when he came to pick us up, and always griped when we pulled up to the pump to get a couple of dollars worth of Ethel.

Anyhoo...
    The ol' 'sang diggers brother had bought a large boundary of timber that was promising for 'sang. So, one afternoon he decided to go scout the new property alone. He got about a half mile in the woods and it got dark fast, and thunder started. So, he decided to take a shortcut over a ridge back to his truck. When he topped the ridge there was a depression right on the top, an area of about 1/4 acre in size. As he hurried along he stopped for a second to get his bearings straight. As he stood there, he had grabbed the leaves of a plant at waist height, as he started to leave he glanced down at the plant he had just held, it was a YUGE 4 prong! He immediately glanced the surroundings and 'sang was everywhere and most was waist height! The next day he returned and dug a little over 16 lbs. of green 'sang from that ridge. If remember correctly, he dug over 70 4 prongs, and 2, 5 prongs, several of the plants were over 3 feet tall!

aaronc, mac0492, Brody and 4 others like this.
  12. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I've found two 5 prongs in my life, and that was at least 30-35 years ago. they were both waist high,
    they're hard to find when you're looking closer to the ground for smaller seng.

bondhu and barney like this.
  13. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I've been watching a little patch for over 5 years waiting until it matures

Screenshot_20190525-162114_Gallery.jpg

14. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    I'd like to know how many of these i have stepped on and walked past inn my life time so far!! I wouldn't recognize it if it was smack in my face! probably got it growing like crazy on my farms. Where does it like to grow??

gung and Hoosier Sasquatch like this.
  15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I've never found a 5 prong, but I have found several big waist height 4's. Rare as hen's teeth.

bondhu and Dark Cloud like this.