The Appalachian Region Exposed

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Davidlondon4, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Davidlondon4

Davidlondon4 12 pointer

Dec 2, 2004
    Laurel County
  2. elkguy

elkguy 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2004
    Thats great. Love it. Who would of thunk it?

3. crowedog

crowedog 6 pointer

Jul 14, 2011
    mt washington
    every body in ky is bare foot no teeth and wears overalls ant they

4. Farmer

Farmer Fawn

Dec 31, 2010
    Pikeville, KY
    The residential areas shown here are all within a 5 minute drive of downtown Pikeville. The hospital and UPike buildings are right in town. This certainly is not the vision I know that many people out there have of Eastern Kentucky. I thoroughly enjoyed this video and all its sarcasm. It's high time someone got around to showing the other side of our area.
    Way to go !!!!

5. crowhunter

crowhunter 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2012
    Jackson & Winchester
    That video can't be in Eastern Ky ha. I didn't see any Christmas lights hanging on those houses or anyone playing the banjo on the front porch. Glad I watched the video! I'll pass it on.

6. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I remember reading in a Nat geo magazine once that Pikeville was the richest city in the nation per capita at one time..More money in their banks per capita than anywhere else in the country..

7. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Rise up, repressed proletariat, and take back from the filthy bourgeois what is rightfully yours!

8. Dubya Gee

Dubya Gee 8 pointer

Apr 10, 2012
    Snow, KY
    ^^^ I literally laughed out loud in my office... Good stuff.

9. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    That seems to be a far cry from some places in eastern ky. I think I read somewhere that Owsley county doesn't have a single doctor or hospital. I realize that all of eastern ky is not dirt poor, but the numbers don't lie..As a whole, Eastern ky is one of the poorest areas of the country. It's just like the eastern half of Jefferson County bringing up the average income. The west end of Louisville is just as poor as the poor people in the eastern half of the state.

10. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Ahhhhhh, your true political leanings shine through!!!!

11. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I still have that magazine. It was talking about the Bowles Edition sub division. My dad used to subscribe to that magazine and I have tons of them. Anyway, there is wealth is eastern Kentucky. I'm thinking of a man and his wife who started their own business and have millions but you'd never know it to talk with them. They are the very definition of humble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I held onto that edition for years but I lost it I the last move about 7 years ago..Of course it was mostly due to the booming coal business at the time.

13. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Don't be fooled! We all know that the plutocrat coal barons took all the money out of the mountains after they built their fabulous empires on the backs of the slave laborers! The Lexington paper said so!

14. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    By golly is the Herald said it then its the gospel:highly_amused:

15. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I liked the Patty Loveless song in the video as well. "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive"